Kubota part numbering system

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Thanks, Lugbolt, that is helpful information. I have seen that when ordering other parts: you enter the part number and a message pops up saying that part has been replaced, superseded, whatever, by a new number. So yes, I just go on and order the new number and forget about it. But that did not happen in this case. That was part of my point, the retailer never told me there was a new part number. To this day you will still find the old part number on a parts diagram. The NLA issue is something anyone who takes care of their machines, whether washing machine, dishwasher, lawnmower, weedwacker, tractor, encounters. It's our throwaway economy's way of forcing you to buy new for lack of that one part.....
sometimes the retailer doesn't know there's a new part number. A lot of times we'd order a number and it'd show up as a different number and we had to figure it out. Confusing. And there were also occasions where we'd order a part, which would be the newest revision, and it'd show up a prior revision for whatever reasoning. Everyone does it, Polaris, Deere, Ford, Kubota, etc.

yeah it could be said that planned obsolescence is a part. The honest truth to this is that manufacturers are only required to support a product for 5 years. Once past 5 years, it's up to them to do what they want. A lot of times in that 5 year period, the original product is long since been discontinued, so their team scrutinizes how many of a certain part they sell. IF the sales numbers for a particular part are very low, they can (and obviously do) discontinue it, and once stock is depleted it is then deemed NLA. The plan usually isn't to obsolete the part and deal with those consequences; rather to free up space for newer parts that are selling. I went to the KC warehouse for Kubota. The place is gigantic. I want to say it's a total of 2 million square feet. That's 45 ACRES of warehouse space. That's how much space it takes to support products. Can you imagine the amounts of money that is spent just on the land and buildings? Not to mention the numbers of parts stored inside on racks. Throwaway economy there is truth to that. However, with the competition among brands the machinery has to be updated or changed every few years in order to compete. That brings us back to the previous point. How long do we (consumers) think manufacturers should support a product? 20 years? 50? Indefinitely?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Except this was not just some random manufacturer's number, it was the Kubota part number, K****-****, the same one I ordered as if 1 was added to it (I ordered a part number ending with 110 and the part number stamped was all the same but ended in 111). This was not a matter of the old part number being replaced by a new part number and advertised as such on the retailer's website. If you go up one more number (.correct part number +2) the belt is 7 inches longer than it should be. There was no listing whatsoever, anywhere on the internet, for the number they sent me, including their own website. Why would any customer just blindly trust that a cardboard sleeve marked with one part number but containing an item with a different number was the same thing? I blame the retailer for not notifying a customer when they send an item with a different part number than was ordered. What would it take to add a notice to the invoice or send an email? Will not order from them again.
If a part arrives in a package displaying the official Part Number... WHY would you question or blame the dealer?... And why would it raise any concern at all if it properly fit the application?

OEM mfr’s subcontract and source replacement parts from many different producers. Did you question the GE 60 Watt lightbulb you bought for your wifes’ reading lamp because on the top of the glass, below the GE-logo, it had 546E etched on it? Did the Sears Craftsman PN 340-66 floor-fan replacement V-belt bother me when the cardboard was slipped off and the belt has 38VL144 stamped on it? Heck NO! It fit!

Much ado about nada, IMO.