Kubota L4400 PTO issues

lohse75

Equipment
Kubota L4400
Apr 2, 2024
Topeka, KS
I have a Kubota L4400 with around 400 hours on it. When I have a 6' brush hog hooked up it intermittently stops. Sometimes when I engage the pto it kills the tractor immediately. It doesn't bog down and die, it clicks off like I turned the key off. When this happens I cycle the key off then try again. Sometimes I try over and over and it won't run with the pto engaged. Other times I can mow for six hours before it happens. Sometimes if I wait a few minutes between tries it works again for a few hours, the next time 10 minutes. I had the dealership look it over when they did the 400 hr service and it ran fine for them. I think it is something electrical but I don't know what to start replacing.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Respectfully, here's some basics if you don't already know.

1> The tractor won't start with the PTO in gear.

2> The lift height of your brush hog may bind the PTO shaft and cause issues. You sometimes cannot lift the 3 point to its highest point with the PTO spinning. U-joints and shaft length are key here.

3> Never engage your PTO under load. Cutting, spinning, engaging. Engage it when its free from work. Put it into the work slowly. And with throttle as needed.

If you already know all that, then I'm sorry to waste your time. You may haver another issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have a seat switch that is maladjusted or faulty.
Or it could be a maladjusted or faulty PTO switch.

The WSM will tell you how to test the switches for proper operation.

Do you have the WSM (aka Service Manual)?