Kubota L4400 HST (320 Hours) - Estate Auction

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Usually, auctions aren't a good place to get a 'deal' sometimes they are but most times they aren't, especially when it comes to stuff like that because people get stupid bidding up an item plus you have no idea if it was taken care of or not so you could wind up with an expensive dud.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Wendol, that could very well be a nice buy for someone who's been looking for that size tractor. As mentioned, there may be a very small crowd making bidding go quick. It would be pretty easy to go look the tractor over before the sale, then stay back from the crowd and bid from a distance. Once the auctioneer sees your first "hand raise' he won't let you out of his sight until you shake your head sideways or walk away!!

A couple of years ago I was looking for a tractor and noticed one at an auction 25 miles away. Went and looked it over and formed my opinion of what i thought it was worth to me, then came up with a maximum bid since it was so close.

It had belonged to the Kubota dealer that had closed down about 10 years earlier, was in excellent condition, HST, loader, nice.

My wife went with me to the auction. I coached her on what I was going to bid and why. I asked her to not talk to anyone there about that tractor. If someone asked anything just shrug your shoulders and don't comment. The reason I even brought it up is because auctions are usually men only, but if other women are there they congregate and converse.

When it came time to sell the tractor and the bidding started, I let it go for a while to see how it might go. Then I bid. Right away someone else bid. I waited a bit and raised the bid. Boom they bid again. This went back and forth with the two of us for 5-6 bids. Then I figured my strategy would be to just keep doing the same thing until I got to my limit. It was a woman bidding against me, I could see. She bid, I raised her immediately, she bid, I bid, she bid, I bid.

I was soon at my predetermined limit, but I was a good machine so I bid again. She bid, then I bid, she bid, I bit one more time. I finally quit. Watched a few other things sell and then went to pay for some items.

During that time after the tractor sold and other things were selling, this woman went back over to my wife and told her she had just bought that tractor. (Which my wife obviously knew) My wife asked her how much she paid for it. The buyer told her. My wife said, "Oh,that's a nice tractor." The buyer said, "Yea, I paid way more then I wanted to but that guy over there keep bidding, so I figured if he was bidding it was a good deal so I kept bidding until I got it. My husband doesn't know I was going to buy a tractor today. He's at work and I have to figure how to get it home."

Moral of the story. Sometimes buying strategies do not work!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bet her hubby wasn't too happy. I hate auctions as a rule. I'm a registered bidder on Tractor House and I bid once in a while, but I set my maximum and stick to it and I know, going in, what the item I'm bidding on is worth and I don' love' anything to the point where I'm gonna loose my shirt either.

Case in point, bid on a 2 year old Kuhn Master Drive Gyro Rake in excellent condition. Factored in the transportation cost versus a new one and set my price and bid it at my maximum and let Tractor house auto increase the bid to my maximum.

Moral of it was the rake sold for the retail price of a new one and it was 2 years old and used. people do stupid stuff in the heat of the moment.

I'm old enough and smart enough not to. One, it isn't the only game in town and two, I have all the time in the world to shop. As a matter of fact I bought a new one, being delivered tomorrow, dealer covered the freight too.

Knowing how farmers are, I prefer new over used anyway.:eek:

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
I quit going to auctions for heavy equipment years ago. Dealers frequent the larger ones and I generally strike up a conversation with them. Most tell me they wish they could get those sorts of prices on their lots. So deals are few and far between. Much better strategy for me has been to find what I like at a dealer I know and offer a cash price that I find attractive. Mostly they***8217;re agreeable, but not always. The offer needs to be sane and on something without a lot of people wanting. Sure I might miss a deal at auctions but I dont have to fritz away days and days looking for it. And as far as CL goes, Im not sure there could be any bigger waste of time out there.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I grew up a farm boy. Farmers love auctions. Part business, part social and entertainment. I still like them, but all I buy is a hot dog and coffee, so all social and entertainment for me.

Bidding against a dealer a dealer can be frustrating, but there’s some benefits. One, they know what they’re bidding on. Two, you assume they have a discerning eye for condition or potential problems. Three, they are going to pay a trade-in or wholesale price for the tractor given its condition.

No, you’re not likely to steal a deal, but a dealer shouldn’t run away with a price like a more lay-person/emotional bidder as in ‘Cats example. I’ve seen that many times also...auction fever.

My favorite to watch sell at auction are used chainsaws. I have a decent idea what most modern Stihls cost new.

The number of times I’ve seen folks pay more than new (with buyer’s premium, etc.) is astonishing......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The best part of an auction is the sloppy joes and apple pie.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Seen too many times people paying more for used than you can buy new... if you go for entertainment value, it's worth it. I quit going a long time ago.

I did get plenty of tractor items from Craig's List, mostly from people selling that did not know what they had... most of what I bought, I offered another $10 more and got the deal. Those days are gone... I have not seen good deals in a while.

Last edited:

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I favor a true "Estate" auction over the "Equipment" type auctions, mainly if it's a true estate auction, you immediately know why it's being sold. I also use the Google map to get a satellite view of the property to see if there's a barn for storage, or junk scattered everywhere, with maybe one of those $595.00 carports. I also request additional information from the auctioneer(s) on specific items of interest on the tractor(s), and about 50% of the time they do not even respond.......even when in my email, I state how many miles/hours away I'm located. And this is one of the auctioneers that didn't respond!!
I'm always looking to upgrade for the right tractor, but it's getting more and more difficult on the pre-emission units.

Anyway, the main reason I originated the post, was in case someone was interested, and close enough to perhaps score a good Kubota.

Churcael

Jun 2, 2021
Canada
Wow! This is an outstanding offer. I consulted with my friend, and we are very sorry that we will not have time to buy this property. If you want to continue working in this field, I advise you to read the blog of a good person who has been engaged in real estate since childhood. https://financialfreedomcountdown.com/real-estate-syndication/ after reading this, you will understand that you really need to invest in the real estate that you have found. If you are still disappointed in the purchase or realize that it is on your own, you can always sell several times more expensive. Good luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Been to a few auctions to look for various equipment and such. Always goes for more than reasonable. Some have buyers fees too.