Kubota L3010 won’t shut off with key

JCKS

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Feb 17, 2024
Kansas
I recently installed additional work lights to my Kubota L3010 and created a series of issues. It first started with not being able to start my tractor after installing the lights. I would turn the key to start and nothing would happen. A second attempt, I wouldn’t have any lights light up on my dash. I then inspected my battery connections, cleaned the posts and replaced the terminal connectors(they were old, corroded and bolts were stripped). This got my tractor started. But, now I can’t shut off the tractor with the key as I could before the lights. I have to use the shut off knob to kill the engine. I have replaced the ignition first thinking the relay was the issue and it was not. Next I replaced the fuel shut off solenoid thinking maybe it failed in the open position, and it still does not shut off by the key. I found a small fuse box with 4 or 5 fuses and all of those fuses look good. This is my first diesel engine and I am finding they operate different than normal gas engines. Any suggestion on what I am missing?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Welcome to the forum!

Our first question will be - how did you "hook up" the lights? Explain in detail.

AS for fuses - looks can be deceiving, and OHM meter will test them well.

Explain "shut off knob?"

JCKS

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Feb 17, 2024
Kansas
I recently installed additional work lights to my Kubota L3010 and created a series of issues. It first started with not being able to start my tractor after installing the lights. I would turn the key to start and nothing would happen. A second attempt, I wouldn’t have any lights light up on my dash. I then inspected my battery connections, cleaned the posts and replaced the terminal connectors(they were old, corroded and bolts were stripped). This got my tractor started. But, now I can’t shut off the tractor with the key as I could before the lights. I have to use the shut off knob to kill the engine. I have replaced the ignition first thinking the relay was the issue and it was not. Next I replaced the fuel shut off solenoid thinking maybe it failed in the open position, and it still does not shut off by the key. I found a small fuse box with 4 or 5 fuses and all of those fuses look good. This is my first diesel engine and I am finding they operate different than normal gas engines. Any suggestion on what I am missing?
Never mind, I discovered the issue after typing this post. It WAS a fuse problem. Not so much a blown fuse, but there was some corrosion on the key stop fuse and I decided to replace it. As I have nothing to lose at this point. And…it seemed to fix it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The bright side is you now have a known good spare ignition switch, and a good spare fuel cut off solenoid! :)

JCKS

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Feb 17, 2024
Kansas
Welcome to the forum!

Our first question will be - how did you "hook up" the lights? Explain in detail.

AS for fuses - looks can be deceiving, and OHM meter will test them well.

Explain "shut off knob?"
Thank you for the welcome. This forum has helped me fix several issues already. The knowledge here is phenomenal!

To answer your question, I had ordered wiring kits for the 4 work lights I installed. It came with relays and power switches. I connected the positive power wire to the positive battery terminal, and the black ground wire to the same grounding screw used by the fuse box. I connected the lights to the appropriate wires that were coming out of the relays. My guess is I cause some sort of surge when reconnecting the battery cable back up.

Yes, you are correct about the fuses…looks were deceiving! I did find there was a “key shutoff” fuse and went ahead and replaced it. That did the trick! Tractor shuts off by the key once again.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
It's not uncommon for tractors of that vintage to have connections that oxidize or rust. If it spent most of its life outside, its even worse. a small thin flat file can clean the terminals where the fuses seat.

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC
Never mind, I discovered the issue after typing this post. It WAS a fuse problem. Not so much a blown fuse, but there was some corrosion on the key stop fuse and I decided to replace it. As I have nothing to lose at this point. And…it seemed to fix it.
I bought my L3010 last year and it had the same problem. Bottom 2 fuses in the fusebox were corroded. I tried finding the correct electrical terminals to put in the box, but it never worked out. I ended up adding a second, small fusebox to make a permanent repair.
Joe