Kubota L2550 Backhoe Attachment

wannabe

Apr 6, 2016
MA
Looking for some input on a backhoe attachment for tractor model L2550. We picked it up this past spring and have loved owning it since but have found that we really need the backhoe attachment for stumps and what not.

Can anyone provide any input? Are there preferences as TractorData.com lists 2 different attachment models (BL4520 & BL4530) and I've also seen some aftermarket models just perusing Craigslist.

Just looking to get a little peace of mind with this and ballpark of what sort of money I'm looking at spending.

Also, what's the best place/site for parts lookup? One of the lift cylinders on the loader started to slowly leak the other day. Noticed the tire was a little wet from an oil drip. I think these have kits you can rebuild them with?

Thanks in advance!

Tim Kowalski

Equipment
L2550 DT
Oct 14, 2015
Illinois USA
The 4672a or BL4690 will fit your L2550 also. They are fairly common. You will want to install the reinforcing top link bracket on your tractor.
Are you leaking at front axles? Is it 4WD (L2550DT)?

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
No, I repeat don't use the unit as a three point set up! Subframe is the only way to go! Unless you like buying parts and down time.

A good rule of thumb for purchasing a new backhoe with subframe setup and installed runs about $1200.00 per foot of digging depth.

Pat

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Opinions abound, of course, as with any topic.

My experience with a 3pt mount BL4690 backhoe (no subframe) on a little B7800 was nothing but outstanding. I used it professionally and made a lot of good money with it. I dug trenches, scratched through rock, and pulled up countless trees both hardwood and softwood. I would still have it if there had been a reinforced top link for my L3800. The guy I bought it from also used it professionally as a plumber and septic installer.

While I can now take my BH77 subframe backhoe off and on more quickly than I could my BL4690, I got to where I could pop the BL4690 off and on without much trouble.

Here's a pic of just one day's work after having removed around 100 cedars. Some of the ones I took off this property were over 30 feet tall and the root balls were huge.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
sgtboz,
I get such a chuckle when folks in OK and TX say big cedar tree's, 30' tall cedar's up here are still scrub brush, I've go cedar's that are 100'ft tall and 24+" across, and the root balls are the size of a Volkswagen bug. :D

On a L2550 get a sub frame mounted Backhoe, yes a three point will work, but if you twist the three point just enough your looking at a $4000+ bill to replace the rear end, and that is if you can find the parts, on a B7800 you would only be looking at about $1200 for the same damage! ;)

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I think that's part of the beauty of these things. They're surprisingly strong but not strong enough to twist up any part of the tractor. At 3,000 pounds digging force, the loads are easily distributed through the load-bearing components of the tractor without any detriment to the tractor itself. It's much the same design philosophy as the loader...it's designed to carry as much load as it's designed for and it'll limit out when you try to place a demand on it any great than that for which it was designed.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
No opinion here, cold hard fact! I have been at my dealership for 22 years. I have seen top link brackets ripped off and broken differential housings and lift covers as well.

Some people can get away with what you are doing! If they are operators and unfortunately there are too many drivers.

Pat

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
sgtboz,
I get such a chuckle when folks in OK and TX say big cedar tree's, 30' tall cedar's up here are still scrub brush, I've go cedar's that are 100'ft tall and 24+" across, and the root balls are the size of a Volkswagen bug. :D

In Texas, what we call cedar is really juniper. They can get fairly large but take a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim Kowalski

Equipment
L2550 DT
Oct 14, 2015
Illinois USA
The Kubota tractors from that era (L2550 1985 - 1991) were designed to work with approved backhoe models without sub-frames. (Refer to the factory tractor and backhoe manuals.) You must install the Kubota reinforcing top link bracket on the tractor and use the rigid top link that is designed for the backhoe/tractor combination.
Imagine the forces applied to the top link with a 6 foot finish mower bouncing down the road or across a bumpy field in the lifted position. That is a lot of force - Likely greater than a backhoe digging.
If you use the backhoe properly, you're good to go. If you abuse it, you will have problems. That is true with any tractor or implement.
I trust the Kubota engineers, although a sub-frame would be great if it existed.
Enough abuse will break anything! Use it as intended (again, refer to the manuals).

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
Woods makes a BH75 and subframe 1016323 for Kubota L2550's
Like Mike Holmes says "do it right, do it once"

Pat
I'm thinking about a Woods BH80-X (has the hydraulic thumb option), but can't find anything on their site about a sub-frame kit for a L3010.

I'm not real warm and fuzzy about 3-points with that pull weight on top link bolted to to trans casing and adding hoe operating stress loads there; tearing up large roots and stumps for example. Even though my model specs a Kubota BL4690 which is a 3-point, seems there never was and still today no sub-frame option for mine. I'm bummed :(

garryr

Equipment
Bobcat S185, L48TLB, L3010HST, Ford 5000
Oct 11, 2016
South Texas
I had a woods 3pt backhoe on my L3010 HST. It worked fine, but the thought of me cracking my rear-end was to much. I sold the 3PT and bought a L48TLB. In South Texas all we have is mesquite trees, brush and prickly pear, and everything that grows down here has thorns. Forgot lots of rattle snakes.

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
^ That's quite an upgrade from just a 3-point. If I had the $$ I'd consider investing in something like that.

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US
I have a b21TLB. For a little guy it does a good job.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk