Kubota L245DT

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi I just bough a L245DT with a snowblower and I was wonder if is there a easy way to let the snowblower do his job even if I have to stop mooving the tractor.
You need to tell a better story :)

Front or rear blower?

A 3 pt rear blower?

Have you found a workshop manual for your tractor. I found one here.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1101745/Kubota-L185.html#product-L245

There is an owners manual at this link. Download the L245F OPS.
http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/

You need to understand the difference between a single clutch engine transmission and a dual clutch one Terms like "live power take off."

My quick scan of the WSM indicates that some L245 engines have single and some dual clutches.

Without "live power" take off," the pto shaft stops rotating any time you step on the clutch pedal to stop the tractor or change gears.

With "live power," the pto shaft has its own clutch and works independent of the main clutch. The pto shaft continues to rotate even when the tractor is not moving.

For decades, owners of tractors lived without live power. For snow blowing, you need to take multiple passes reducing the depth of the snow over several passes instead of all at once.

On the second swath down your lane or driveway, you just cut a path narrower than your blower so the load on the tractor from the blower is matched.

The operators manual says some L245 have a 3 speed pto. If you have a 3 pt rear blower, you need to be careful to only run the blower at the lowest pto speed which will be 540 rpm. The blower gear boxes are designed to operate at the low speed and may not tolerate operation at higher speeds.

Come back with more questions until you fully understand your new machine.

Dave

vibesnet

Equipment
B7300
You need to tell a better story :)

Front or rear blower?

A 3 pt rear blower?

Have you found a workshop manual for your tractor. I found one here.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1101745/Kubota-L185.html#product-L245

There is an owners manual at this link. Download the L245F OPS.
http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/

You need to understand the difference between a single clutch engine transmission and a dual clutch one Terms like "live power take off."

My quick scan of the WSM indicates that some L245 engines have single and some dual clutches.

Without "live power" take off," the pto shaft stops rotating any time you step on the clutch pedal to stop the tractor or change gears.

With "live power," the pto shaft has its own clutch and works independent of the main clutch. The pto shaft continues to rotate even when the tractor is not moving.

For decades, owners of tractors lived without live power. For snow blowing, you need to take multiple passes reducing the depth of the snow over several passes instead of all at once.

On the second swath down your lane or driveway, you just cut a path narrower than your blower so the load on the tractor from the blower is matched.

The operators manual says some L245 have a 3 speed pto. If you have a 3 pt rear blower, you need to be careful to only run the blower at the lowest pto speed which will be 540 rpm. The blower gear boxes are designed to operate at the low speed and may not tolerate operation at higher speeds.

Come back with more questions until you fully understand your new machine.

Dave
Thanks you a lot for your fast answer.
Actually I have snowblower on the back.
I also have 3 speed PTO.
I am not realy sure for now if it is a single or double clutch but I always tought that small tractor never have double clutch.
With a single clutch, when you are near a snow bank, you just kick the clutch fast and remove the gear to put it on neutral ?

Here is a small preview of my little orange beast.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You have a great machine in the L245.
In the Asian market, it is a medium size machine.
As a medium sized machine, it may well have the live pto.

Your blower, with hydraulic chute rotation and deflector, + tractor cab are quality stuff which will serve you for decades if looked after. Try and stay off of public roads where salt or calcium is used to melt ice. That stuff will take years off the life of a machine.

Does the cab have a heater? Later: Now I see the hoses going up to the roof of the cab.........

Depending upon the area where you live, the turf tires may or may not work well. Certainly chains (rear only) are an option. Another is screw in tire studs. You run them in with a cordless drill.

http://www.gripstuds.com/

Remember you only have brakes on the rear wheels so on slopes you might not have the braking you expect. However, in 4 WD the drive train takes some of the rear brake and sends it to the front wheels.

Dave

P.S. Add Canada to your address in your profile. I had no idea where Carleton-Sur-Mer was

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
L245's only came with a single clutch setup, so no live PTO. :(
Be quick with the shifter and clutch to keep it spinning. ;)