Kubota Generators.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Here in Central VA, we lose it for 8 hours or more at least once a year. Trees grow like weeds and are just as stable in a breeze.
I have a 22KW Generac 'portable'. Two manual transfer switches as I have two, 200 amp panels, one supplies the first floor, the other the second. The Generac will suck up 15 gallons of fuel in 16 hours at 1/2 load (guesstimate). Stinks. But.. we do not have natural gas and the genset was very inexpensive (I am cheap) at $1999.99 after tax, delivered. So I have drag it out, cable and fire it up. We were without power for a week last winter, totally suxed. I had to go out and buy gas every day and the house was quite cold, as the genset could not power the aux electric heat strips in the heat pumps. I now have bypass switches oin them so the heat pump will make some heat, even if they have to run non-stop.
In 22 years, we have lost power for a week or more twice. The first time, no generator. Now, we can make do OK. Another 15 years, I'll be in the retirement home and it will be someone elses problem.
We all have different opinions of our generator "needs".
IMHO a generator is only necessary to get you through extreme circumstances.
Thus,.....a portable: adequate to provide heat (not electric), water (well), and refrigeration, for a week,...... maybe once every 10 years+.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Talking of generators and welding, I would have liked a bigger generator, but the GL7000 seems to be well matched to the Lincoln (see specs below). The initial arc draw is around 25A but drops to around 15A once established. I'm running 1/8" 7018 which needs around 125A in "typical" applications, maybe a little more, so that's a good fit for my needs.

lincoln_specs.jpg

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
We all have different opinions of our generator "needs".
IMHO a generator is only necessary to get you through extreme circumstances.
Thus,.....a portable: adequate to provide heat (not electric), water (well), and refrigeration, for a week,...... maybe once every 10 years+.
We lose power for a week every few years. At least one or two days every year. While I am inclined to be willing to rough it, not the wife. I really grin having a nice hot shower in a lit bathroom during an outage after dicing up a couple of fallen trees. Come down stairs to a regular dinner.
I'll admit to being a 'gadget freak' and along with a tractor, is a generator, couple chain saws, bunch of motorcycles, giant leaf blower and....

I'd like to see a genset that is staged. Multiple generators that came on and off depending on load. Always the correct size running for the load. 2,000 watt at night when in bed, running the blowers on the HVAC and the fridges, then the big monster one running making hot water and running the stove. I hate that even under small loads, a big genset is gobbling fuel.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We lose power for a week every few years. At least one or two days every year. While I am inclined to be willing to rough it, not the wife. I really grin having a nice hot shower in a lit bathroom during an outage after dicing up a couple of fallen trees. Come down stairs to a regular dinner.
I'll admit to being a 'gadget freak' and along with a tractor, is a generator, couple chain saws, bunch of motorcycles, giant leaf blower and....

I'd like to see a genset that is staged. Multiple generators that came on and off depending on load. Always the correct size running for the load. 2,000 watt at night when in bed, running the blowers on the HVAC and the fridges, then the big monster one running making hot water and running the stove. I hate that even under small loads, a big genset is gobbling fuel.
I am a generator simplistic type.
Just give me one that will provide enough juice for circulator pump heat (Winter), and water pump, and I can get along just fine.
Sort of maybe a week long "camping trip"?

Perhaps my viewpoint is a bit skewed though.
We did not get public utility electricity until I was 7. (almost 82 now)

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
I own an 18-acre hill. It is surrounded by ravines except for my steep driveway, with a solar power gate/security camera. I love the seclusion, which is why we are here. The nearest town is 12 miles and has < 5000 people. This is the northeast Ga. mountains.
The reason I'm saying this is that when we lose power, we are cut off from the world.
Our first winter, we had a freak (for here) foot deep, heavy wet snowstorm.
It froze to a layer of black ice, and we were stranded. Even with chains on the wrangler, it was not safe going down the hill and I was sure I would not make it up and if I slide off the side, my jeep would be in the ravine. And, of course, we lost power. Since we are out in the country, there was nowhere to go anyhow.
I now have two Firman 10 KW generators wired into the 220vac buss. I learned years ago that anything you NEED one of, you need two. They are dual fuel, gasoline and LPG. LPG is rated 7.5KW but is actually about 5KW. It squats when the frig cycles or if you run the microwave.
But I'll tell you, there is nothing fun about being on generator for 6 and a half days. I ran it around the clock for the first three days and then I cut back to about six hours a day. Gas inventory got low, but I was also concerned about running continuous duty. My load was usually low, but that engine still has to turn. The well pump was the biggest load. I was heating with the wood stove.
Starting day three, I started hearing a dull clanging sound. I stopped it and checked the oil and level was good and the oil did not look bad. I topped it off and ran on LPG else I would have to start syphoning from the vehicles. At $4 gal, (Thanks Brandon), this is high dollar energy.
Also, the generator was running at about 62HZ, causing my battery UPS to cycle and alarm over and over. Also, the florescent lights had a god-awful flicker.
On the fifth day, the power company guys walked up our hill (they would not risk driving up with their boom truck. The outage wasn't on our property. I let them use the grandkids sleds (we use them to slide down the grass slopes) to get back down the hill and we got power back the next day.
So, I got another Firman (they give excellent support) since I had had bad luck with Generac's. I do think I will add a small Honda to the list to run nigh time loads and use the 10KWs for daytime when we have large load needs.
We are preppers, which is why we live where we do. You can prepare all you want but the test is reality. One week was a serious test. We went through a lot of firewood-over two cords. We were entertaining cooking on the wood stove with our dutch oven. We have loads of food stores, a roof cistern, two gardens and my wife even teaches a prepper class but there is no better teacher than reality.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I learned years ago that anything you NEED one of, you need two.
I'm a firm believer in the "two is one, one is none" approach. (y)

Reactions: 1 users