Kubota G6200

Johntractors

Equipment
Kubota g6200
Nov 14, 2023
New York
This is the first Kubota tractor we have owned and was hoping for some input and advice. The previous owner started it where we picked it up and drove it on the trailer. He had a hard time starting it and after several attempts and finally taking a battery from his own tractor it did start and ran quite well sounding good, no smoke or odd noises. We have other diesel tractors at home so we are some what familiar with diesel engines. The coil on the dash did not turn red so possibly glow plug problems? Anyways, he kept the battery, so I will need a new one and new battery cables as they are broken also . Tractor has not been serviced or taken care of properly although the oil is full but dirty. Can someone tell me the battery that belongs in this tractor? I found filters online and will be taking some photos this week to share. Aprox. 780 hours.

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
First, did you get any manuals for your tractor yet? You should probably get the WSM for it, so you can get the correct parts and diagnose things.

New battery cables and new battery is a good start!

I would also do a full service, I.e, replace all fluids/filters, and grease everything!

found a users manual online.. https://www.manua.ls/kubota/g6200/manual

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600 X2, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
The size battery depends what you can stuff in it without it overheating. Some have front mounted batteries and some have rear mounted batteries. Mine is still in the stock location because I don't have temp problems with the size installed. I've attached some pictures of a front mount, others have rear mount pictures on here somewhere.
Screenshot_20231031_121206_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20231031_121225_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Johntractors

Equipment
Kubota g6200
Nov 14, 2023
New York
I think mine is the rear mount battery type located behind the radiator in the upper dash area. The original cables are the large round post type but the replacement batteries all seem to have the flat type. The ends are damaged on the original cables and I may try to replace the ends with the flat type if they are long enough.

Last edited:

Torinodan

Equipment
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Not rear behind the radiator (original location) but behind the rear axle. See link below.

Johntractors

Equipment
Kubota g6200
Nov 14, 2023
New York
I am interested in keeping the tractor original but I do not see the battery available with the SAE round automotive type terminals, only the L type more modern style and being that the ends are damaged on my cables anyways I will have to cut them off and replace them with L type connectors. At this time I am trying to keep the battery in the original location. Battery Guy retailer lists model BG-12350NB as a replacement. Will Get some photos today.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
FWIW
cutting and splicing battery cables WILL cause you problems down the road. Always best to use MOLDED ended cables to keep water OUT of the strands of copper taht make up the cable. Those in post #3 are bad as well as ANY drop or drip of water will get inside. yes, it make take a few months but it will happen. Odds are in dead of minter, dark, wet snow, far,far away from garage....

Torinodan

Equipment
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
FWIW
Those in post #3 are bad as well as ANY drop or drip of water will get inside. yes, it make take a few months but it will happen. Odds are in dead of minter, dark, wet snow, far,far away from garage....
Absolutely correct about those battery connections in post 3. That was an example of a front battery install. Great idea not so great execution. Correctly potted / molded cables are always best.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
The coil on the dash did not turn red so possibly glow plug problems?
This needs to be corrected. Kubota engines often refuse to start at all without glowing.

Using 'ether' or other starting-sprays on Kubota engine is known to cause damage (cracked pistons, broken head...etc)

The troubleshooting process for the glowplugs is pretty trivial and can be done with VOLTMETER and OHMMETER. Let us know if you need some help.

Johntractors

Equipment
Kubota g6200
Nov 14, 2023
New York
I put a new battery in it today and it started after a little preheat. The glow plugs must be working as after I held the key to the left for about a minute it sputtered and ran when started. i can hear something running... fuel pump maybe with the key on but still no glow or even warm on the coil on the dash. Attached ares some photos from today. I changed the oil so I could sleep tonight:D

Attachments

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
i can hear something running... fuel pump maybe with the key on
Yes, there is electric "lift pump" behind the right-rear wheel. Infact, this pump is known to go bad after about 20 years. Engine will run with FULL tank... but stall-out as level in tank gets low.

but still no glow or even warm on the coil on the dash.
It may not be wise to 'glow' with warm engine.

------------
The glow indicator may not come on if there are some bad GlowPlugs
At the very least, consider testing the glowplugs:
  1. Remove the jumper-wires which runs across the top of the GPs
  2. Use OHMMETER to test between the top of each GP to engine-casting
    • expect less than 20 ohms on each one
    • An 'open' tells you that GP is bad
  3. Re-connect the jumpers when done

Reactions: 2 users

Johntractors

Equipment
Kubota g6200
Nov 14, 2023
New York
I have my meter and will check glow plugs tomorrow. I used solder type lugs, cleaned wire ends for he battery connections and have good solid clean connection. I pulled both cables from the tractor and found where the positive cable came through the frame was cut and damaged from being pulled on to reach the old battery top..... not me this time. Explains the hard starting when we picked i up. I found three mice in the air cleaner and will offer them to the previous owner.... I have my own:giggle: