Kubota g1900s Driveshaft

StormyNormie

Equipment
Kubota g1900s
Apr 1, 2023
Dayton, Ohio
Hello! I recently bought a G1900-S with ~900hr on it. Previous owner did a lot of restoration work, and used it for mowing. Engine, pto, transmission, steering, and electrical all seem fine just driving it around my yard. However, I did notice a squeak coming from the mid/rear area and an accompanying vibration in cruise control lever. Squeak frequency tends to follow engine RPM, and goes away at high revs. My guess is that the u-joints are going bad, so I've already picked up a new set and plan to replace those.

I pulled the fender off to take a quick look while I wait for parts. When I push around the driveshaft to test the u-joints, there also appears to be play at the interface with the transmission spline. Is this normal for (old) tractors? Or does it mean the whole drive shaft will need replaced?

Currently a full replacement runs about $700... Which seems excessive, and hopefully can be avoided. From reading other forums about this tractor, seems owners often neglected to grease these splines... This machine is probably no exception. I guess that's to say I'm worried about their condition, but I don't notice any slip when driving / towing. Just the squeak and shake. Appreciate any advice!

Kubota_g1900s_driveshaft_play.gif

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One can hope that's it's just wear on the yoke (about $72) and not wear on the HST shaft which is over the top expensive.
You're not going to get slip as the pin goes through the yoke and the HST main input shaft.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is the old style coupling and yoke, they came out with a newer style that clamps to the shaft to eliminate this issue.

Old style

1680402848647.png

New style

1680402897989.png

StormyNormie

Equipment
Kubota g1900s
Apr 1, 2023
Dayton, Ohio
Wolfman, thanks! Good point, hopefully the pin isn't doing all the work at the rear end. Looks like I can pick up the revised parts just for the transmission side, since main shaft is in good shape. I'll give that a try. (y)