Kubota d600 glow plug help

Webn237

Dec 26, 2016
Southrn WI (Monroe)
Hey guys need a little help. I am at the point of putting the small finishes on my kubota diesel swapped golf cart. Can anyone tell me how the glow plugs work? Is it fused, relayed, or anything? I have a fuse for it but it keeps popping the fuses. Any helps or tips?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hey guys need a little help. I am at the point of putting the small finishes on my kubota diesel swapped golf cart. Can anyone tell me how the glow plugs work? Is it fused, relayed, or anything? I have a fuse for it but it keeps popping the fuses. Any helps or tips?

Lets start with some photos of the glow plug side of your engine and the dash where there should be a glow indicator, basically a wire coil that glows hot as the glow plugs heat up.

The glow plugs heat to an almost white hot temperature and make starting possible. However, the glow plug wiring is critical to success. Don't go and make the stupid mistake of connecting a glow plug to 12 volts.

The key switch for a diesel is different than a gas engine as it keeps the glow plugs energized while the engine is cranking. If you don't have a Kubota key switch that is the first step towards success.

What model of Kubota did the D600 come from?

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lets start with some photos of the glow plug side of your engine and the dash where there should be a glow indicator, basically a wire coil that glows hot as the glow plugs heat up.

The glow plugs heat to an almost white hot temperature and make starting possible. However, the glow plug wiring is critical to success. Don't go and make the stupid mistake of connecting a glow plug to 12 volts.

The key switch for a diesel is different than a gas engine as it keeps the glow plugs energized while the engine is cranking. If you don't have a Kubota key switch that is the first step towards success.

What model of Kubota did the D600 come from?

Dave
If you don't want to replace the original key switch, You can simply put in a momentary switch to run the glow plugs, and yes run the circuit through a glow indicator.
You will also put in a second circuit that will supply voltage to the glow plugs while cranking, this is done through a relay, that is wired to the solenoid starter wire.
Glow plugs are very high current draw devices, the fuse that supports them is in the 200amp range.

Webn237

Dec 26, 2016
Southrn WI (Monroe)
I bought just the motor from a guy who took it out of a grasshopper lawn mower. So I have my glow plugs on a momentary switch. Then the switch is just a 3 position. Its off, acc, then crank. I found where i made the mistake of having a 15amp fuse giving power to my relay causing it to blow the relays fuse all the time. I need to run it from the slow blow fuse rather than a 15 am spade fuse. Here is a diagram giving you an idea how it is ran.
Also my momentary switch has an indicator on it so it tells me when there is power going to the glow plugs.

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I have D600 engine on my G5200 tractor.

The glow-plugs do NOT get power direct +12v fed to them. Instead, there is a 'glow indicator' between the keyswitch and the glowplugs.
This 'glow indicator' is essentially a short length of nichrome wire which limits the current fed to the glowplugs and begins to get red-hot as the glowplugs warm up.

Here is what the 'glow indicator' looks like. (this is NOT the one for your D600)
===> http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Glow-Plug-Indicator-p/123216.htm

Here is youTube video showing how the 'glow indicator' works on the D600 engine.
==> https://youtu.be/VJP16X_hzhQ

I would suggest you look at the electric diagram for the G5200 tractor to see how things are wired up and discover the actual part# for the
'glow indicator' . (or go to a Kubota dealer and ask for 'glow indicator' for g5200 tractor)

Last edited: