Kubota BX cutting in and out

Rinzloor

Equipment
Kubot BX subcompact tractor
Oct 18, 2023
USA
Hello! I am posting about my Kubota BX tractor that I recently performed a maintenance on. While operating now the engine will cut off while in motion, sometimes cutting immediately back in, sometimes shutting off entirely. I changed the inlet air filter, both fuel filters, the oil filter and the oil on the tractor during the maintenance I performed. I'm not super familiar with diesel engines or tractors, but I do work in the HVAC field and have a lot of experience on oil boilers/burners, so I am familiar with purging the fuel line after changing these filters. It does seem like a fuel starvation issue, but the abruptness of when it cuts out, then back in is concerning to me. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am assuming that when you changed BOTH fuel filters you turned the key to the RUN position for 30+ seconds to allow the air to be purged from the system?

IF you did this, I would check the seat switch which do as you describe - especially if you move forward on the seat while moving.

Fuel starvation make the engine sputter most of the time - the seat switch will kill the engine then allow it to run once contact is made again.

While sitting in the seat - place the throttle in WOT position - does it bog down?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
faulty seat switch ? That WILL kill engine in 2-3 seconds.
unlikely 'fuel' though look at the filter between the two pumps, if full then not fuel.

Reactions: 1 user

Rinzloor

Equipment
Oct 18, 2023
USA
Thank you for the replies. I was leaning toward the seat switch, specifically because the cutting out occurs more when my girlfriend (who weighs less than I) drives the tractor. As part of the maintenance I did hose some dirt and manure off of the foot platform and I wonder if water got into the switch. I also recently rotated the seat to use the backhoe attachment. I will check the switch out!

Reactions: 1 user

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
That seat switch has had me thinking I broke my tractor on more than one occasion.

Rinzloor

Equipment
Oct 18, 2023
USA
That seat switch has had me thinking I broke my tractor on more than one occasion.
Haha I'm sure! The only hesitation I had about it was the proximity to the maintenance I did. We started having these issues the day after I did it, which made me think it was something that I had done.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I've never missed the seat switch that did not come on my BX2200, OR my B2910 with backhoe and loader... Hint, hint... :LOL:

Rinzloor

Equipment
Oct 18, 2023
USA
I've never missed the seat switch that did not come on my BX2200, OR my B2910 with backhoe and loader... Hint, hint... :LOL:
Big Brother Mr. Kubota, I solemnly swear that I will not remove any safety switches from my tractor..........................