Kubota Build Price vs Dealer List Price

AllPawDrive

Feb 6, 2021
Aroostook County, Maine
Hello all,

A very new person to the tractor world.

My question:

I used the kubotausa site to build my tractor then I printed out the the quote with the suggested list prices and provided it to the dealer so he could put together some pricing for what I was looking for. I’m much more familiar with the truck purchasing world where the manufacturer gives you the MSRP then a dealer gives you a price based on the MSRP. The manufacturer MSRP matches the dealer MSRP and you work with a variety of dealers to get your final price as far below MSRP as you can. But the MSRP matches.

The kubotausa site gave me a suggested list price but the list price my dealer is starting from is higher. He said: that price doesn‘t include labor.

is this normal or is something going on here?

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
Its a strange time and there is flexibility among dealers. I dealt with two dealers that had different pricing and both of those were different, and about 10-15% less, than the Kubota site. The dealer that won my business returned calls, responded to requests and was just a great salesman. The other had a "take it or leave it, and don't get mad if I don't call you back" attitude. In general, I think they are able to sell everything they can get. Keep in mind that you will need to insure the purchase if you finance it and that can be sizeable if you get a premium policy like KTAC. I think over the life of the loan it is close to 10% of the cost of the tractor. Best of success.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Check with other dealers assuming there is one that is mostly local, but it sounds like what the car dealers where I used to live did. For them, it was mostly a bargaining position, and they came off the price for me each time and went below MSRP even though they started thousands above MSRP. There are also some incentives available for some models/attachments, that should bring the price down.

On the other hand, if you believe Neil from Messicks and I don’t have any reason not to, there will be a shortage of equipment later to buy. He said they have less stock than normal. So, whatever you decide to do, it’s probably a good idea to do it soon.

FarmerJohn

Equipment
LX2610SUHSD
Jan 25, 2021
NC
What labor are they talking about? I’d ask for detail. Are you requesting to have modifications made?
My dealer installed optional additions for only the parts cost, loaded the tires, drove to pick up an implement from another kubota dealer, and delivered(~30mi) everything free and was below kubota web pricing. And of course the obligatory kubota hat.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
What labor are they talking about? I’d ask for detail. Are you requesting to have modifications made?
My dealer installed optional additions for only the parts cost, loaded the tires, drove to pick up an implement from another kubota dealer, and delivered(~30mi) everything free and was below kubota web pricing. And of course the obligatory kubota hat.
Astonishing!

The dealers that I know always charge shop rate and inflated time to install options, FELs, PDI, assembly, etc.

They never start their truck without charging shop rate from the time the driver picks up the key until it is replaced back on the service managers desk. $110/hr to deliver a new tractor (any model) even though dealer is less than 5 miles away.

Of course loading tires costs over twice as much as it does three miles away at the tire dealer.

That said, most such costs are hidden in the price of the tractor rather than itemized.

SDT

AllPawDrive

Feb 6, 2021
Aroostook County, Maine
Astonishing!

The dealers that I know always charge shop rate and inflated time to install options, FELs, PDI, assembly, etc.

They never start their truck without charging shop rate from the time the driver picks up the key until it is replaced back on the service managers desk. $110/hr to deliver a new tractor (any model) even though dealer is less than 5 miles away.

Of course loading tires costs over twice as much as it does three miles away at the tire dealer.

That said, most such costs are hidden in the price of the tractor rather than it

AllPawDrive

Feb 6, 2021
Aroostook County, Maine
Thanks for the replies.

For clarification, it’s a new tractor being ordered, not one that I own that I’m buying implements for.

To simplify my manufacturer MSRP vs dealer MSRP question, let’s assume it’s just the tractor being ordered stock. No implements being ordered, no modifications made at the dealer.

Is it normal for dealer list price to be higher than manufacturer list price?

The dealer is offering their discounted price off their own list price but it pretty much works out to be the same as the manufacturer list price In the end.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Dealer being more than MSRP may be why he has stock. Other shoppers have left the tractor for next guy to buy.

2019 My loaded tires , setup delivery etc wasn't itemized. 60"mmm worked out be be free from msrp.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If the dealer’s list price is higher than Kubota’s, then they are giving discounts that bring it down to about Kubota’s listed price, then it is just a marketing scam by the dealer to make you think that you are getting a great deal. No different than the car dealers that advertise thousands off when they have already added thousands to the beginning price to make it look like you are getting a better price from them than the competition.

Reactions: 1 user

AllPawDrive

Feb 6, 2021
Aroostook County, Maine
If the dealer’s list price is higher than Kubota’s, then they are giving discounts that bring it down to about Kubota’s listed price, then it is just a marketing scam by the dealer to make you think that you are getting a great deal. No different than the car dealers that advertise thousands off when they have already added thousands to the beginning price to make it look like you are getting a better price from them than the competition.
Thanks Bap. That’s what I figured but, being new, I was looking for confirmation.

In my years of truck purchasing, I’ve certainly come across dealers inflating prices over MSRP then offering “deep, deep savings” that gets you right back to a price somewhere around MSRP. What I’ve never come across is the window sticker MSRP from the manufacturer not matching what the dealer says is MSRP. So far none of the truck dealers I’ve dealt with have had the cojones to flat out lie about the MSRP. Of course, it’s always better to research and find the dealer‘s invoice price and holdback then negotiate from that point.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Thanks Bap. That’s what I figured but, being new, I was looking for confirmation.

In my years of truck purchasing, I’ve certainly come across dealers inflating prices over MSRP then offering “deep, deep savings” that gets you right back to a price somewhere around MSRP. What I’ve never come across is the window sticker MSRP from the manufacturer not matching what the dealer says is MSRP. So far none of the truck dealers I’ve dealt with have had the cojones to flat out lie about the MSRP. Of course, it’s always better to research and find the dealer‘s invoice price and holdback then negotiate from that point.
I believe there is a disclaimer somewhere on Kubotas site that the MSRP does not include freight, dealer prep or delivery. Those should be the only things raising the price. However, most dealers will normally sell at MSRP or slightly less even with these included. As others have said though, there is a major supply problem at the moment. That's not to say you still can't get MSRP or a bit less but you won't see the deals of a couple years ago when supply outweighed demand.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

You are at a disadvantage vis a vis a new car dealership because automobile manufacturers are required by law to clearly display the MSRP whereas tractor manufacturers are not.

Shipping, set-up, delivery, PDI (apparently) and gravy are not included in the Kubota build it yourself price.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I believe there is a disclaimer somewhere on Kubotas site that the MSRP does not include freight, dealer prep or delivery. Those should be the only things raising the price. However, most dealers will normally sell at MSRP or slightly less even with these included. As others have said though, there is a major supply problem at the moment. That's not to say you still can't get MSRP or a bit less but you won't see the deals of a couple years ago where supply was greater than demand.
PDI is also not included in the Kubota build it yourself price. Though I have not been able to determine conclusively, it appears that Kubota does not reimburse their dealers for PDI. Dealer charges for set-up, PDI, delivery, etc., vary and are nearly always hidden.

SDT

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I built mine online this Summer, printed it out.
Got a quote from the big dealer, he was $1,000 over my MSRP printout.
Got a quote from the little dealer, he was $1,000 under my MSRP printout.

I went with the little guy.
Tractor came fully prepped, no charge.
Brought it back a month later when the snowblower came in, he hooked it all up, including quick hitch, no charge.
Brought it back again to get the tires weighted, no charge.
YMMV

Reactions: 2 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I posted elsewhere before on this topic concerning a B2601. The big dealer north of me was just a little under MSRP. I think I could have done better pricewise with a smaller dealer. But the big guy is opening a store 20 minutes from me and I thought that might help over the long run.

What I did to get a better price was join the National Cutting Horse Assn to get that discount. It lowered our deal by exactly $1,000. What the dealer did to limit the discount was to add in all the prep, remove other incentives, and, as I recall, he set all prices back to standard MSRP. The language in the equine program discount is vague enough that it allows this.

In the end, I figure I got an okay deal. Maybe not quite as good as going with a smaller, hungrier dealer. But, as I said, the local store opening near me counted for a lot. I know it's a gamble, because this dealer may be poor, but its reputation is good.

Big dealer vs small is an interesting issue. The big has more overhead to pay for. The big has probably been in business longer. The big MAY have more experienced mechanics. If it turns out that I am paying for better knowledge, options, and service, I'm okay with paying more. If it turns out not so great, well, I guess I learned about this one dealer.

Last edited:

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
I bought my B2601 in Sept (delivered in Dec). I did the kubota build and brought it with me. Dealers price was the same MSRP from the build site, minus the incentives that were in place. Dealer did not charge me for assembly (LA,MMM,BH), delivery, loaded rear tires (washer fluid) and welded hook on bucket.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I bought my B2601 in Sept (delivered in Dec). I did the kubota build and brought it with me. Dealers price was the same MSRP from the build site, minus the incentives that were in place. Dealer did not charge me for assembly (LA,MMM,BH), delivery, loaded rear tires (washer fluid) and welded hook on bucket.
Expect that you were, indeed, charged for such but dealer did not itemize. Almost universal practice.

SDT

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I recently was quoted a few percent under the online build it price on a B2601 and that included the 7% state and local sales tax. So maybe 9% off of the online MSRP build it price.

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
I had the same issue as you here is my results on a LX2610 with a backhoe.
I printed out the Kubota build from the website. (it was more about getting the part numbers correct)
I told them all that here is the online results, whats the best you can do as I will order it today from you.

Dealer 2 hrs away was the best price $2200 of website list
Dealer 1.5 hrs south of me "Full Choke Price" and no negotiating at all ( had 4 tractors sitting on the lot)
Dealer 1 hr away was $1800 off website price.
Local dealer took $2000 of website price and I got a suicide knob and first 50 hr oil/filters (I bought it from them)

I made sure when discussing the tractor that this price was everything included and delivered to my house)

Good Luck with your quest
Bob M

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Where are these mysticle dealers? I will buy a tractor now from them. I would just need one of you all to trailer it to me in VA for some beer and gas, lol.