Kubota blower L4479 drive chain replacement

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Hello,

I exploded a drive chain on my L4479 and have another one on order. I considered building my own replacement as the materials to do so appear to be available at tractor supply. When I brought a piece of my broken chain to the store to ensure I was buying the right materials, it looked to me like the original chain was #60. I got confused because the Kubota replacement part says it's a "60X - 60HDx78 links" - that to me made me think it was #60H chain. #60H looks thicker than the original chain to me.

No code has to be inserted here.

Any ideas why they call it 60HD if it's #60 chain (and not 60H?)

My only guess as to why the chain exploded was that it may have gotten loose during operation. I'll have to keep a closer eye on the tension and idler sprocket. I do feel like the L4479 does not have very good protection from snow and ice buildup near the auger spocket and chain - the commercial blower looks to have a much better design in that aspect to me.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My blower is not the same as yours but the issues are the same.
A #60 chain sets the pitch of the chain.
When I last replaced my chain, I opted for the 60H because it was obviously a heavier more robust chain.
It is important that the master link clip is installed in the proper direction so it does not get knocked off when contacting ice and snow.
Consider investing in a roller chain puller. It will make getting the master link installed a much easier job.
forum roller chain puller.jpg

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Thank you - I was planning on loosening the idler sprocket while attaching the master link, will that not provide enough slack? That makes sense to upgrade to a 60H, it’s not like the chain is designed to break as a fail-safe to protect the sprockets, that’s what the shear pin on the drive shaft is for.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thank you - I was planning on loosening the idler sprocket while attaching the master link, will that not provide enough slack? That makes sense to upgrade to a 60H, it’s not like the chain is designed to break as a fail-safe to protect the sprockets, that’s what the shear pin on the drive shaft is for.
I tried loosening my idler. still I found it very tough to get the ends of the chain aligned and keep them there as you put the master link in. #60H chain is heavy at my age :)

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I broke the chain on my BX the first year that I owned the snowblower when I picked up a rock in the driveway. At that time, the Kubota chain was about 75 or 80 dollars, and a 10' roll of #40 chain was about 20 dollars at Tractor Supply. I opted for the inexpensive chain, and I got about 3 or 4 years out of each of the chains that I made up out of that 10' roll. In fact, I still have I think about 2 chains left. I would purchase the inexpensive chain and change it every couple of years and save money. The Kubota chain is an O ring chain that is supposed to repel water from getting into the moving parts that the inexpensive chain doesn't have. If you want the more expensive chain, then head down to your local bicycle or motorcycle shop and see what they have. If you want your chains to last, lubricate them regularly with chain and bar oil that you use with your chain saw, unless you are one of those that use used motor oil because you get it for free.
Also, check out the various chains at McMaster Carr. Buying a chain by the foot is an inexpensive chain and buying a roll of the chain is the best buy. Just depends on what type of chain you want, and how often you want to replace it. I can change a chain in less than a 1/2 hour in my driveway, so I went for the least expensive priced chain and I had them cut to size before I needed them. I also have plenty of repair links in my parts stash.

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Thanks all - if this next kubota chain breaks I’ll go the tractor supply route with #60H. I ordered a roller chain puller as well. Dusty my kubota chain was not an o ring chain - must be different on the L4479.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks all - if this next kubota chain breaks I’ll go the tractor supply route with #60H. I ordered a roller chain puller as well. Dusty my kubota chain was not an o ring chain - must be different on the L4479.
My chain problem was back in 2006, so who knows what changes the OEM manufacturer made to the chain to keep the costs down. When I looked up the roller chain selection on McMaster-Carr website, I was shocked at all the various selections that were available in each size.

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Not sure if I bought a cheap chain puller but it was basically useless. Instead I temporarily removed the idler sprocket to make the chain connection. Back in business. Thanks all.