Kubota B6200 HST Steering

JWeaver

Jan 5, 2010
Oxford, CT, USA
I have a Kubota B6200 HST the steering shaft and ball nut have failed. Replacement parts are no longer available from the dealer, does anyone know a fix? or information/advice on a power steering install?

ozzy

Apr 28, 2010
seymour,ct
I have a B6200hst that needed a new steering shaft, I purchased a new steering shaft p/n 66811-4120 and installed it working perfectly. The only differance is that the shaft is about 1.25" longer, causing the steering wheel to be up alittle higher, I made up a bushing to hide the shaft, the ball nut and shaft are otherwise identical. Also I believe the B7200hst is the same as the B6200hst.

smokinhart

Equipment
b6000E,B6100DT, King Cutter RM48, Front end Loader, Rear Blade,Gravel Reclaimer
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
I have a Kubota B6200 HST the steering shaft and ball nut have failed. Replacement parts are no longer available from the dealer, does anyone know a fix? or information/advice on a power steering install?
messicks or Golden eagle parts have them I believe. I have a steering box and wheel with a damaged recirc ball sector I'd sell if you have any interest I can assist somehow.

Richard

Jul 14, 2010
Hope, AR USA
I have a B6200hst that needed a new steering shaft, I purchased a new steering shaft p/n 66811-4120 and installed it working perfectly. The only differance is that the shaft is about 1.25" longer, causing the steering wheel to be up alittle higher, I made up a bushing to hide the shaft, the ball nut and shaft are otherwise identical. Also I believe the B7200hst is the same as the B6200hst.

This is a great reference, thanks. However, on my B6200HST steering box I found the following. Yep, shaft is longer - like you I can live with that. However, the upper to lower shaft bearing distance on the 66810-4120 is shorter than on the original shaft by about .075. The ONLY two ways to fix this is to either machine off part of the shaft tube 4 bolt top (inside), weakening the 4 bolt plate, or to remove the outer race of the lower shaft bearing from it,s bore and shim it upward (reducing support for the lower bearing outer race.

I did the latter. Used a .80 washer (was thicker, I sanded and ground it down, keeping both sided parallel) put it in the bearing bore and reinserted the outer race. Further small adjustments were made with shims on the top case casting top.

Make sure that the shaft is tight in its bearings to the extent of making a very slight drag when you turn the shaft - THEN reinsert and adjust the sector gear shaft sude play/clearance. Used 85-140 oil, works great ....so far.

Try not driving over boulders and big logs, snapping the steering against the turning stops. You know...like me.

Richard