Kubota B6100DT 4WD - Question about noise. Normal? Problem?

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
The B6100 I bought is a super clean, low (360) hour tractor, clean as a whistle, everything works perfect. I'm trying to find out if this noise is normal. There is absolutely no play in the steering. It's tight as new. At a stand still, engine off, when I turn the steering wheel I hear a "clunk" sound coming from the front axle, and or wheels. I haven't isolated it yet, and was wondering if this might be a lube condition, bearing, gear, or possibly an adjustment of some sort. I don't feel it when I'm running, but I hear it when it's stopped and I turn the steering wheel. I don't remember this on any of the other Kubotas I've had.....Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As someone else turns the wheel - you bend down and touch parts of the steering rod, ball joints.....see if you can "feel" the sound in your fingers. Could as simple as a bad ball joint moving a bit. Not sure those a greasable! but if you move the steering slowly - you should see the arm move and then the ball joint move a wee bit after it - if it has any play in it at all - also if you jack up the front end and turn the wheels, it might help you find it quicker.

Take a wheel and give it a good twist as it is in the air.

Then again it could very well be in the steering box.

Report back whatcha come up with !

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I've just started looking over my new to me B7100. I have noticed when I turn the wheel back and forth, the front axle moves front and back slightly, followed by a clunk. I believe there is an adjustment for this, but I am not positive. I just haven't gotten to the point of crawling under it to work on this area yet.

I am guessing you are hearing the same thing.

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
I can feel the sound in both front wheels and anywhere on the front axle. It's definitely not in the steering "box" or anywhere near the steering connector. It's from the front axle somewhere. When I take it in to the Kubota dealer to get the ROPS installed, I'll have them check it and see what they think. Thanks.

As someone else turns the wheel - you bend down and touch parts of the steering rod, ball joints.....see if you can "feel" the sound in your fingers. Could as simple as a bad ball joint moving a bit. Not sure those a greasable! but if you move the steering slowly - you should see the arm move and then the ball joint move a wee bit after it - if it has any play in it at all - also if you jack up the front end and turn the wheels, it might help you find it quicker.

Take a wheel and give it a good twist as it is in the air.

Then again it could very well be in the steering box.

Report back whatcha come up with !

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
I can feel the sound in both front wheels and anywhere on the front axle. It's definitely not in the steering "box" or anywhere near the steering connector. It's from the front axle somewhere. When I take it in to the Kubota dealer to get the ROPS installed, I'll have them check it and see what they think. Thanks.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It sure sounds like the axle mount center pin, as procraftmike stated.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I agree with Mike and L F. It is the center bolt axle pivot. It is an easy adjustment as long as it is not totally worn out.