Kubota B6000 zl600 engine swap

Hooverscon

Jun 24, 2018
USA
Hey guys I have another question for ya regarding my b6000. I have been told by a few other people on the site that I could do an engine swap to gain more power on my B6000. I have searched the site but haven't been able to find any credible information regarding the swap. I understand I could buy a larger tractor but i love the micro tractors:). Please let me know if there are any other HP upgrades that I could do to boost power.

-Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey guys I have another question for ya regarding my b6000. I have been told by a few other people on the site that I could do an engine swap to gain more power on my B6000. I have searched the site but haven't been able to find any credible information regarding the swap. I understand I could buy a larger tractor but i love the micro tractors:). Please let me know if there are any other HP upgrades that I could do to boost power.

-Mike
I don't know where you heard / read, that you could swap for a bigger (more HP) engine?
The one thread that I seen someone say that on, I explained that there is only one engine that will easily fit into it, and that is the stock engine.

Any other engine would require a substantial amount of work to change the engine size. :(

Chilliwack Murray

Equipment
B7510 with loader and BH4672 backhoe, JD400 industrial Backhoe, B6100.
Jan 8, 2019
BC, Canada
You can put a different engine in but I don’t know of anything that would bolt up the same.

I bought a 6000 about 14 years ago that had been run with a cracked head for years and the engine was shot. I found a Z600 head which I realized was different when I went to get it. I ended getting the whole engine for the price of the head which was a 2004ish generator engine with almost no hours, in pieces with melted pistons for cheap so I put that together and put it in. Even though it was all pretty cheap, it was all the money I had so I was committed to getting it running at that point.

To mate the engine to the transmission I welded steel plate inside the original adapter and redrilled it to match the new engine. Centering it was the hard part.

The flywheel on the generator drive engine had a slightly different bolt pattern and won’t accept a clutch - so I drilled the original flywheel bolt holes out to where they could accept bolts in the new flywheel positions with a little play and centred it with a dial indicator and torqued it up . With 10 or 12hp or whatever it is and some lock tite it never moved in 10 years or use.

To mount the block in the tractor frame I used spacers and longer bolts because the generator engine is considerably smaller (and lighter). The better way would’ve been to fab up some adapter brackets but resources were limited then. I still have it and may still do that one day but it hasn’t had much love for the past 5 years since I got my 2006 7510.

The generator engine has a water pump and can put out much more power without the heating issues the thermosyphon system can have, especially with an older partly restricted radiator. I don’t know how much power the tractor had with the original but I could never really bog down the new engine even on my hillside property.

So it can be done but it will take some fab skills.

ASTER

May 30, 2017
ROSEDALE LA
I don't know where you heard / read, that you could swap for a bigger (more HP) engine?
The one thread that I seen someone say that on, I explained that there is only one engine that will easily fit into it, and that is the stock engine.

Any other engine would require a substantial amount of work to change the engine size. :(

i was reading some your old stuff about the b6100 an you was talking about d905 engine, how it would not center an about oil pan hitting can you talk little more about that...... i got lots of b7100 an b6100 d950 an d650 parts.... i know a guy around hear that makes old adapter plates got welders, i was day dreamin the other day about how it be killer engine.... i started lookin up d905 ... an what hydro pump i would use prob going to be out of a rtv 900.... a Suzuki G13 clutch an flywheel...... an d650 bell housed to d905 adapter plate

Last edited:

ASTER

May 30, 2017
ROSEDALE LA
i was reading some your old stuff about the b6100 an you was talking about d905 engine, how it would not center an about oil pan hitting can you talk little more about that...... i got lots of b7100 an b6100 d950 an d650 parts.... i know a guy around hear that makes old adapter plates got welders, i was day dreamin the other day about how it be killer engine.... i started lookin up d905 ... an what hydro pump i would use prob going to be out of a rtv 900.... a Suzuki G13 clutch an flywheel...... an d650 bell housed to d905 adapter plate

also useing the d902 oil pan...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
also useing the d902 oil pan...
Ok I don't know if you realize you talking about 4 different motors in your conversation.
D650
D950
D905
D902
The D650 and D950 will share about 90% of all components between them, but neither of those will share any components to a D905, or D902.
I'm not sure what components if any, can be shared between the D905 and D902.

Why a RTV900 hydraulic pump?

Why a Suzuki G13 clutch and flywheel?

Basicly anything is possible with enough adapters and things bolted on, but are you really gaining anything.

There is a point where putting too much HP just breaks more parts and causes way more issues than it's worth!

The D902, and D905 are good engines and parts are all over the place, so it's logical to want it, but at what cost?
It's in the same HP rating as a D850 or D950, and neither of those engines require any crazy swapping to fit.

ASTER

May 30, 2017
ROSEDALE LA
Ok I don't know if you realize you talking about 4 different motors in your conversation.
D650
D950
D905
D902
The D650 and D950 will share about 90% of all components between them, but neither of those will share any components to a D905, or D902.
I'm not sure what components if any, can be shared between the D905 and D902.

Why a RTV900 hydraulic pump?

Why a Suzuki G13 clutch and flywheel?

Basicly anything is possible with enough adapters and things bolted on, but are you really gaining anything.

There is a point where putting too much HP just breaks more parts and causes way more issues than it's worth!

The D902, and D905 are good engines and parts are all over the place, so it's logical to want it, but at what cost?
It's in the same HP rating as a D850 or D950, and neither of those engines require any crazy swapping to fit.

the are d905 all over place, i seen an engine with engine with 14000 hours with no rebuild..... an i was talking about the d902 it has a lower profile oil pan..an rtv hydro pump..... an g13 clutch an flywheel to d905 an adapter to b7100 bell housing!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
the are d905 all over place, i seen an engine with engine with 14000 hours with no rebuild..... an i was talking about the d902 it has a lower profile oil pan..an rtv hydro pump..... an g13 clutch an flywheel to d905 an adapter to b7100 bell housing!
That sounds exhausting... I simply rebuilt and bolted in a D850 that's pushing 22HP and everything was a direct bolt up, easy peasy! ;)

Reactions: 1 user

StefanL

Equipment
B6000
Jul 18, 2021
Belgium
That sounds exhausting... I simply rebuilt and bolted in a D850 that's pushing 22HP and everything was a direct bolt up, easy peasy! ;)
Dear North Idaho Wolfman, for my B6000 I am considering replacing the original engine with a D850. Could you please explain what modifications, if any, are required to make the engine fit? I just want to make sure.