kubota 7040 uneven cylinders on loader arms

cjd7514

Equipment
Kubota 7040 LA1153
Oct 5, 2021
Brownsburg Indiana
My wife noticed today that the bucket would not load on the tractor. I looked at it and one of the hydraulic cylinders is 1/2 inch longer than the other. I have measured everywhere and do not see anything out of whack other than that. She said she did not hit anything, just put the forks on, put hay out and then tried to load the bucket back on.

I tried to loosen the upper hose on the cylinder and pull it back with a strap, it moved but so did the other side. So do I need a way to lock the left side into place while I pull the right side back? I searched for another thread about this but could not find one. pictures attached. Any help is appreciated. Cleaning stalls with the Dingo is not any fun.

20140621_095725 b.jpg
20140621_095725 b.jpg
20140621_095725 w.jpg
20140621_095725 b.jpg 20140621_095725 w.jpg

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I'm not saying this will work for you but this is what I did. Similar issue when I had an issue installing loader after the winter. I ended up cycling the cylinders fully in and then out. It resolved the uneven issue for me.

Reactions: 2 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Please describe how you use your forks and bucket. Forks have a much greater leverage working against the loader cylinders and frame.
Back dragging with forks tipped forward have damaged the loaders of many forum members
Pushing with the bucket tilted forward is also not recommended and puts the hardware in a vulnerable position for one corner of the bucket catching on something and causing a twist.

Certainly thebickman's advice should be step one.

Between the two loader arms is a large diameter tube whose job it is to keep both sides working in sync.

Wait for other opinions but loosening the mounting bolts might be a step to consider at some point. This could allow the loader to sort of balance itself before re torquing the fasteners.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I think you need to curl it a little so you can hold the right side open a few inches. Then pull the left closed until they're even when you take the pressure off.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I ended up cycling the cylinders fully in and then out. It resolved the uneven issue for me.
As Dave_eng said, there's several possibilities for your problem.

That said, as bicman and Dave said, start with the simple stuff.....cycle it and see how it goes.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Sounds as if "timing tube" on SSQA is twisted. One can cut tube in center & retime cylinders then reweld tube or utilize larger tube for reinforcement.
Screenshot 2021-10-06 060148.png

cjd7514

Equipment
Kubota 7040 LA1153
Oct 5, 2021
Brownsburg Indiana
so talked to the technician at Kubota and he said it is a fairly common problem. their solution is usually to push the low side against a concrete barrier and bend it back. We tried that and it didn't work. so my solution was to put the forks back on, which only picked up the high side. Put that fork under the dumpster and lift until the low side was up and in place. So basically the opposite of what he described and it worked perfectly. I think when one of my helpers was rolling hay out in the field with the forks, they must have caught something with one of them and bent it down. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I figured I had nothing to lose, next step was cutting and welding, but thought I would give it a shot and it worked.

cjd7514

Equipment
Kubota 7040 LA1153
Oct 5, 2021
Brownsburg Indiana
Please describe how you use your forks and bucket. Forks have a much greater leverage working against the loader cylinders and frame.
Back dragging with forks tipped forward have damaged the loaders of many forum members
Pushing with the bucket tilted forward is also not recommended and puts the hardware in a vulnerable position for one corner of the bucket catching on something and causing a twist.

Between the two loader arms is a large diameter tube whose job it is to keep both sides working in sync.

Wait for other opinions but loosening the mounting bolts might be a step to consider at some point. This could allow the loader to sort of balance itself before re torquing the fasteners.

Dave
Thank you for your suggestions. I am guessing they caught something with a fork when unrolling hay in the pasture. Likely bending one side down. We couldn't get it back up so bent the other side down to match and it lined up perfect. Thanks for your help.

livefreeordie

Jan 30, 2022
NH
so talked to the technician at Kubota and he said it is a fairly common problem. their solution is usually to push the low side against a concrete barrier and bend it back. We tried that and it didn't work. so my solution was to put the forks back on, which only picked up the high side. Put that fork under the dumpster and lift until the low side was up and in place. So basically the opposite of what he described and it worked perfectly. I think when one of my helpers was rolling hay out in the field with the forks, they must have caught something with one of them and bent it down. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I figured I had nothing to lose, next step was cutting and welding, but thought I would give it a shot and it worked.
Are you doing this without doing anything else to the hydraulic hoses, etc (I think earlier you mentioned disconnecting the hoses to try to move one cylinder at a time)? I think I have a similar problem, with the main lifting arms. This is causing one corner of the ploy to hit the pavement before the other corner (until I drop both into float) on level pavement.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Are you doing this without doing anything else to the hydraulic hoses, etc (I think earlier you mentioned disconnecting the hoses to try to move one cylinder at a time)? I think I have a similar problem, with the main lifting arms. This is causing one corner of the ploy to hit the pavement before the other corner (until I drop both into float) on level pavement.
Beware that your tire pressures are capable of affecting what “appears” to be a levelling problem.
Also not all concrete floors are as “true” as one might imagine.
It sounds as if your system is working just fine if “float” resolves the issue.

( I like your username… and am humorously reminded of someone who is from a particular state in the Union with a similar motto….. who posts “Live free or somewhere else.”. 🤣

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Difference in rear tire pressures affect FEL boom/bucket level. Differences in frt tire pressure have no effect on buck levelness.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your issue is not the same as cjd7514.

His was a clocking issue with the SSQA

Your issue is either a rear tire wear/pressure issue (very common), loose/ maladjusted loader brackets (common), or bent loader arms (not very common).