Koyker 310 FEL vs. Kubota LA1002 FEL?

The Bob

Equipment
M6800 Kubota, 1953 Ferguson T030
Sep 24, 2015
Fort Smith, Ar
I've been looking for a tractor, have narrowed the search down to two M6800 tractors. One has a Koyker 310 FEL, the other has a LA1002 FEL. I am leaning towards the model with the Koyker because of the lift capacity and marginally better rear tires. Both have new front tires, and close to the same amount of hours.

Does either FEL have an advantage over the other?

The Bob

Equipment
Sep 24, 2015
Fort Smith, Ar
Update, I drove the Koyker equipped tractor today, really nice. BUT, it has the manual shuttle shift on the column, meaning it has to be clutched to go from forward to reverse and back. The M4700 I had prior was manual shift, and not even on the column. The other M6800 I am looking at has the hydraulic shuttle shift....

Is the hydraulic shuttle that big of a deal?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess it depends on how you look at it. The Kubota loader is matched to the tractor and should do everything it can handle. The after market loader may fit several models and could be to much or it may be just right. I would want to know for sure since the 6800, 8200 and 9000 are more or less the same other than HP. If memory serves the 8200 and 9000 take a bigger loader even though all 3 are in the same series.

HYD shuttle:

My 9000 is a standard shuttle and I have no problems with it but it will wear your knee out doing certain work. Every time I'm baling I wish mine was a hyd shuttle. So depending on what you plan to do with the tractor hyd shuttle could be a huge factor. I'll say this though, if you get the hyd shuttle don't go cheap on your hyd fluid. Use SUDT2 or higher in my opinion or you'll be asking for trouble with you clutch pack.

The Bob

Equipment
Sep 24, 2015
Fort Smith, Ar
Update, called the "local" dealer that had the M6800 with the LA1002 loader and hydraulic shuttle, made an offer contingent upon new tires all the way around. They called back and accepted the offer. So now I will have more questions as I move forward and begin to get some experience with it.

Thanks all!

The Bob

Equipment
Sep 24, 2015
Fort Smith, Ar
Yes, told them to fill the tires too, of course at my expense! Deciding now between a 6' Bush Hog vs. a 7'. Thinking I will go with the 6 foot as it will fit on my trailer, don't think a 7 foot will. That gives me a pretty good hog for getting into the tight areas, and if needed can transport to another piece of land my father has that needs to be bush hogged a couple of times a year.

Also, have a lead on a well used 10 ft pull behind. It's priced pretty good, but also has a big dent on the left side that came from inside. That makes me think the gear box and drive line took a pretty good shock. Also needs a new blade on the right side.

Anyone know of a good way to check out the hog? Was thinking about having them hook it up to a tractor and run it, and listen to the gear boxes using a wooden stick for a stethoscope. The hog is quite a drive to go check out, so any thoughts about how to test or what to watch for would be appreciated!

Looking forward to getting the tractor to the land and going to work....

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you want wider than 6' I would suggest looking at a 8' twin spindle like the Bushhog model 3008. You get the width without the length and it would be a good match for that tractor. I have one and it works great.

On the 10' I would want to use it or at least have it hooked to a tractor so it could be turned on. Vibration is the first thing to look for. If it shakes something is either bent or out of balance. I had a bent output shaft on a batwing I bought. Parts were over $800 to get it fixed. Also had bent yokes on the driveline. Those were $65 each so factor all that in if you find any problems with it. Stump jumpers are over $500 (depending on brand) so inspect everything close. Seems to me if it has one problem you can back track and find many others and none of them are cheap. Keep us posted.