Kodiak field mower

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Here is a question.

I know most Kubota owners are using Land Pride or other 3 point mowers. Any of you have experience or evaluation comments regarding a Kodiak field mower? Their price seems reasonable here. I'm looking at the Kodiak ST60SC. Even with chains, their price beats the competition. The Kodiak weighs 510# and has 11 gauge metal on the top. The gear box has a 5 year warranty. It's American made in Tennessee.

My neighbor has been loaning me an old John Deere 513 field mower. It cuts well but I don't want to abuse the privilege and think it's time to get my own. I do like the tail wheel assembly on the Kodiak and the John Deere much better than either the Woods or the Land Pride which are clevis style rather than a channeled cantilever style.

Kubota dealers seem to favor the Land Prides. Their price is much higher as is the Bush Hog by Woods.

I'm cutting about 5 acres with it. No serious limbs, only brush and field grasses.

Comments please!

Thank you,

Burt

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
For some reason Kubota and Landpride have a deal worked out to sell you toys and rake you over the coals when doing so. If the Kodiak seems well built and sturdy I'd jump on it and try one out. As a consumer you do have some rights and leeway if it does not work out or fall appart.

Burt

Equipment
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
For some reason Kubota and Landpride have a deal worked out to sell you toys and rake you over the coals when doing so. If the Kodiak seems well built and sturdy I'd jump on it and try one out. As a consumer you do have some rights and leeway if it does not work out or fall appart.
Thanks for that info. The Kodik has an 11 gauge deck which equates to 1/8th inch. The others seem to keep their thicknesses secret.

I kind of figured that there was a dealer setup with these land prides.

Sure would like to hear from someone who has used a Kodiak also.

Thanks,

Burt

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Sorry, but I have to at least partly disagree with you on this. My cousin gave me a clipper 400, he had used it a couple of times and then got a 5' Land Pride. I used it for 3 years and had to replace the bottom oil seal on the gear box an least yearly. I had to weld on a heavy reinforcing plate where the gear box mounts to the deck, bad stress cracks developed around all mounting bolts. Front skids wore out in no time and had to be replaced. Used it about once a month to keep 3+ acres of fields clear just grass, no trees, brush etc were cut.

That is only one model in there line up though.

JMHO

Burt

Equipment
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Sorry, but I have to at least partly disagree with you on this. My cousin gave me a clipper 400, he had used it a couple of times and then got a 5' Land Pride. I used it for 3 years and had to replace the bottom oil seal on the gear box an least yearly. I had to weld on a heavy reinforcing plate where the gear box mounts to the deck, bad stress cracks developed around all mounting bolts. Front skids wore out in no time and had to be replaced. Used it about once a month to keep 3+ acres of fields clear just grass, no trees, brush etc were cut.

That is only one model in there line up though.

JMHO
Olthumpa and Murphy:

Thanks for the idea and feedback.

My question is really about the Kodiak and if anybody has any feedback on their units or has owned one. Since they are an East coast manufacturer, I thought many from that part of the country own or has owned one.

There is a Kodiak dealer in our area as well as Land Pride of course and the Woods but those last 2 seem to be priced out of the ball park.

Burt

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I have the LMC finish mower, if I needed to buy a bush hog, I'd have no hesitation buying the LMC.

As to the Kodiak......If the price is right........I don't see how you could go wrong? It's not a complicated machine and the gearbox is the only part that will wear (other than age or abuse of course).

If you like it, go for it.