Knowledgeable mater growers

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well really I guess I need someone that knows the history of the Roma tomatoes. Years ago the old gal that lived over the hill would bring up a peck of Roma's for me doing stuff around her place. But I digress, these were the larges Roma's I had ever seen. Thick walls very meaty with little juice to speak of. And I kept some seeds and grew them for years, wonderful tomatoes.
Well the seeds from last year failed to germinate, and she is since been long gone so I dont know the name or maybe she didnt know either
. The seeds as I understand were given to her by an old Italian Lady whoes father brought the seeds with him after WW1, and saved the seeds every year.
SO I am asking the fruit was almost as long as a hand and large around maybe from your thumb to your middle finger with a 1 inch gap. It is a bit late to start them now but if anyone has an inkling please let me know

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There are dozens of 'Roma' tomatoe varieties, best to look at online seed catalogues to see which is close to what you remember.Could be called a 'heritage' variety... old......

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well really I guess I need someone that knows the history of the Roma tomatoes. Years ago the old gal that lived over the hill would bring up a peck of Roma's for me doing stuff around her place. But I digress, these were the larges Roma's I had ever seen. Thick walls very meaty with little juice to speak of. And I kept some seeds and grew them for years, wonderful tomatoes.
Well the seeds from last year failed to germinate, and she is since been long gone so I dont know the name or maybe she didnt know either
. The seeds as I understand were given to her by an old Italian Lady whoes father brought the seeds with him after WW1, and saved the seeds every year.
SO I am asking the fruit was almost as long as a hand and large around maybe from your thumb to your middle finger with a 1 inch gap. It is a bit late to start them now but if anyone has an inkling please let me know
Do you still have any of those seeds? Worth trying again this year. The seeds keep. i get volunteer tomato plants in my veggie patch and they will bear tomatoes before the end of summer.

Otherwise look online at seeds offered by Territorial and Johnny’s seeds. Also there is an outfit called something like Nothing but Tomatoes. If I find the catalog I’ll post name.

Last suggestion is look for an Amish nursery. I got a bunch of veggie plants when I ran across one on my way home. Might not be the same, but could be a good variety for canning.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thank you,,, I planted the seeds I had from last year and nothing,, So I will try to find the tomatoe store you mentioned sheepfarmer, Jay thats a good idea I will look under heritage tomatoes

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
There are dozens of 'Roma' tomatoe varieties, best to look at online seed catalogues to see which is close to what you remember.Could be called a 'heritage' variety... old......
Yep.

I'd go instead of Roma with San Marzano. It's prolific, easy to grow and makes great sauce.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
when harvest time comes, extract the pulp and freeze it. When winter comes make the sauce THEN ! That's when you need heat and humidity in the house and something useful to do...... Stiring two huge caudrons of sauce will keep you busy all day.....

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
when harvest time comes, extract the pulp and freeze it. When winter comes make the sauce THEN ! That's when you need heat and humidity in the house and something useful to do...... Stiring two huge caudrons of sauce will keep you busy all day.....
That what we do