Knowing what you know now, would you buy the same tractor again?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you had a time machine and found yourself at the dealer looking at tractors but knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again and buy the same model?

I went from a BX25 to an MX6000 open station to an MX6000 cabbed tractor, and then added an M6060. I was thinking yesterday how much I like this MX as I was going through the yearly routing of getting it set up for snow removal. Going up and down the driveways I thought again about how much I like the MX. It's been two years since I took delivery of this second MX6000 and I would absolutely buy the same tractor again with the same options.

I don't have enough hours on the M6060 to emphatically say that I'd buy it again, and in fact, if I had ordered a second tractor it would probably have been the M7060 but so far absolutely no regrets with either tractor. :) Well done to Kubota for giving me 8 years of trouble-free ownership across four tractors and a generator.

Reactions: 7 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Yes. I do love my LX2610. It's not a big tractor, but it's plenty big enough.

It's all about money. I was set to buy an M open station but ended up with a LX 2610 cab for almost the same coin. And my LX has no "global warming gov tyranny regs" ... tractor stuff on it. And the cab is awesome. I work enclosed on many days that I wouldn't work at all, due to weather or bugs or dust.

I'm looking for a good, older, commercial TLB now. I love the M62, but they come with the earth religion now.

Reactions: 4 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I've only bought one tractor. My L2501HST with R4 tires has suited me well. I like it a lot and would buy it again. I like that it's a very trouble free diesel with no DPF or DEF. Well, I would buy a L2502 now, but that's just the new model with very little differences.

There are times when I wish I could do the road a little faster, but the reality is the most I could increase is about 25% to go faster some of the steeper hills. I don't know if the grader scraper would hold up to the force though. I did break the weld on one side and had to weld it back.

The loader has been really good, and powerful enough for my usage.

I have a rotary cutter, rear blade, grader/scraper, pallet forks, quick hitch, and a ballast box. I've barely used the rotary cutter, and haven't actually used the ballast box since I need to modify it to be able to hook up the quick hitch. Not much, just need to cut a hole below the top link connector. I use the rear blade for snow and I use the grader/scraper every time I do the community road.

I've also bought chains for snow, plastic storage box for the hood, and atv basket for the rope for storage. I also bought 511Designs grill guard, Zooks guards for filters, and the stall mat floor mats from a member here. I would also buy all of those again.

Reactions: 3 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Yes. I would certainly purchase another Turbocharged L2501 (L2502) again. I wouldn't mind having a larger tractor for some tasks but, the L2501 has proven its the perfect size for my property and uses.

Mike

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
While I really enjoy watching video's and reading on OTT about larger and better equipped tractors than my economy L2501 HST I would purchase again.

This tractor fit my budget, sized to accomplish 95% of the tasks I throw at it, was modifiable with hand controls and seat lift and eliminated the added worry about a more complex emissions machine leaving me stranded out away from my tractor shed and wheelchair.

Reactions: 8 users

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
I bought way too small. I'm 51 tomorrow and grew up with tractors.

I want a 60ish HP cabbed machine. Someone is getting my business this winter. I'm shopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well yep on the BX , for the B2601, NO !! Dont get me wrong it is a capable little tractor, and I , due to my own fault was sold a bill of goods. Had I to do it again I would have gone with the B 50 series a bit bigger, but more with what I really had in mind.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Absolutely!! (although it would have to be the updated model since they discontinued the B2650)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My B2601 fits well. I'd like an F for mowing, but that's not realistic. I'd sometimes like an LX - a bit more mowing width would be nice. It wouldn't fit in my shed (too wide), and I suspect a 72 inch deck would scalp. A grand-L might be nice too....but not really a mowing machine.

So, in short, yes I'd buy again.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I bought my one and only modern tractor to replace a 9N from probably the 1940’s and Farmall H from the same time period. I had done enough bush hogging, plowing, discing, dirt work, and low impact logging with them over many years I had a pretty good idea what I wanted and needed going into it. I knew I wanted something I could work with more than I worked on, not the case for the 9N, and something with a center of gravity lower than about 3’, unlike the H. Both were often underpowered for what we were doing, particularly the 9N which was the primary workhorse due to its stability being a better fit for our difficult terrain.

I had professional dealings for many years with all the local equipment dealers so some brands were no go’s from the outset due to poor experience with the dealerships. I knew most of the guys in service and several of the folks in sales at the local Kubota dealer so that was a big plus for Kubota. Salesman asked what I was doing with it and suggested a L3301. I looked at the smaller L’s and was a hard no as I was done working with machines underpowered for my uses. Looked at a MX5400, measured it up, and was a bit disappointed it was a wee bit too big for some of our trails. The L4701 is a tight fit in some places but it does fit. Considered what all would be involved in widening trails for a MX5400 or 6000 and it was just too much grading and general destruction of mature trees. So I got the biggest little tractor I could.

Knew I wanted a removable loader with SSQA. Wasn’t so sure about top & tilt so skipped that and rear remotes to start.

Debated R4’s v R1’s. The R1’s on our older machines were hard on the dirt trails. Maybe 2WD played into that but knowing what the R1’s did to the trails, went with the R4’s, which are much easier on the trails.

Debated HST v gear/shuttle for about a minute. With all the loader work and mowing coupled with a general lack of ground engaging draft work, HST was the clear choice.

Open station was a no brainer with all the work in the woods I have. That and our climate is not nearly as severe, hot or cold, as what many of y’all deal with.

So sometimes I wish it was bigger, sometimes I wish it was smaller so I could use it more in the yards, but overall it’s exactly what we needed. Only regret was not getting three rear remotes with top and tilt out of the gate, but that was an easy add later.

Wish I could have avoided the EPA crap, but the used market here was not friendly to me for what I needed (ag behemoths and estate type stuff was plentiful and not unreasonable but 40 to 50HP stuff was like hens teeth and priced accordingly) and I couldn’t stand the thought of going with yet another tractor in the 25 HP range, so no real options to avoid.

With the loader off, its footprint is only slightly larger than the 9N and a bit smaller than the H, but it’s heavier than both, will lift over 3X as much on the 3 point as the 9N, lifts about the same as the loader on the H but with a real loader rather than a trip bucket, and spanks both of them hard on max drawbar for stuff like pulling trees even with the R4’s. PTO operations such as stump grinder, chipper, generator, bush hog; its everything I need. All that and the practical utility of a 4WD loader on property where there isn’t a flat spot anywhere beats the crap out of a 2WD loader regardless how much ballast the 2WD is hauling on the back.

But for the hundreds of hours experience with the old machines, I likely would have gotten one of the smaller L’s and pretty sure I would have traded up by now. The 4701 is a near perfect match for us.

Kind of funny to me. My brother and I both grew up running those two old tractors. I didn’t tell him I was buying the Kubota. When I told him I’d bought a tractor, he said he’d just bought one for his horse farm as well and was loving his new, modern JD. Of course I told him what I got and he did the same. I don’t recall the model number but his was a 30hp gear drive with a pin on bucket. Most basic thing he could get. We congratulated each other on graduating from 1940’s tech but I could tell he wasn’t as happy at the end of the conversation as he was at the beginning. Spoke to him about a month later and he’d traded the bare bones JD for an open station 4052M HST with every option he could get on it. If I’d bought a MX6000 I suspect he’d have a green one just a smidge bigger. Brothers…🤣

• Haha

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I lived on 8 acres when I bought the MX. Since purchased 50 acres, somewhat unexpectedly. So yeah, I would've bought a slightly bigger tractor.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Sort of yes, I would do most all over again. However I did not really need a BX and a B. BX was a little more stable. b seems a little more top heavy but has more ground clearance and loader lift and for some of my use it’s not enough…either way one or the other…no need to have owned both. I probably would do a rear mower rather the MMM though. In the case of The MX, absolutely would do it over with no hesitation. I have a BH with the MX, but I think I would have been better served to have had the BH for what ever the smaller machine was. So maybe I’d do a B26 TLB instead of the BX&B. So as a total I would do two out the three…sort of. My math could be a little off. 🥃

• Haha

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
My lx2610 is plenty of machine for my needs but if I were to do it again I would have the rear hydraulics installed fot top&tilt , possibly a 3rd function for the loader.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I bought a LX2610 and traded up for a LX3310 less than two years later. PTO hp was the primary reason and I'm pleased with the performance and have no complaints with the dpf either. Now, to walk into a showroom today with the three LX20 models I would look at the 3520 and 4020.

Reactions: 1 users

K7G

Equipment
L2501HST, LA526 w/ L2248, BB1260, RCR1860, EA Disc Harrow
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
I purchased the L2501 in June. Great machine, does all that I need done and it’s perfect for my small acreage. No regret, not a single one.

Reactions: 2 users

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
My 4701 is my first tractor, but two years into ownership I can absolutely say that I'd buy it again without reservation if I had all the experience I do now.

Sure, it'd be nice if the FEL lifted a bit more, and I like the larger front wheels of the MX, but the overall size and function has been a pretty much perfect fit for the work needed on our property - bush hogging 5 acres, moving and processing the large hardwoods we've taken down (cutting into firewood, burning stumps and brush, chipping brush), maintaining our gravel road, etc.

I like that the 4701 has the 'upgrades' that are now present in the L02 models, and honestly this was a factor in my decision.

I do suspect we could get by with a smaller L once done with the clearing work but I don't think I'd want to give up the stability of the 4701 for a 3901. Maybe a 3560LE.

I'm very grateful for this forum and all the posts I was able to read to help guide my initial decision!

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
I am 99% satisfied with the LX with the hydro wine being the only reason I would consider the new 3520, 4020.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I had to stop and think for a few minutes, but if I known everything I know now, would I buy the same one?

The reason I was comfortable with a L3560, it would do everything we needed it to do. We have been very pleased with it.

The reason I would go with a bigger tractor is not because I'm displeased with the L3560, but because our two larger tractors are showing their age and we are spending more and more time working on them. If I had gone with M6060/M7060 range, keeping the other larger tractors running wouldn't be as needed.

Yet, the L3560 has been just the right size to accomplish most of the task we have needed and has replaced the old MF 35 and the task that it did.

So, I guess what we really need to do is just add another tractor and keep the L3560. I wonder if I can get that one past the finance committee.

• Haha