Knee pain from HST?

Mdkelley

Equipment
L3902, LP RCR1860, LP RTA1258, LP front 3rd function
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Anyone get a sore knee after operating the HST pedal for a few hours? I have never had unexplained pain and a swollen knee in my life (usually it is obvious what I did when I have pain), and now have had pain and swelling a couple times just in my right knee in the past week. I noticed this again today after a couple hours on the tractor last night and the only thing I can think of that has changed at all in my routine is running that tractor foot pedal. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what might be done to prevent or eliminate the situation.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, I find drinking more water and juice really helps..
I was thinking old age(69) ...so now I can blame it on the HST pedal !!! Thanks, I feel young again !!!
I should be rifing the bicycle again..might help too.

Reactions: 1 user

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Thanks, hydration could be related I guess but would think both knees would act up as well as other joints/muscles. I consume about a gallon of water a day, do Yoga with the wife 7 days a week, weight lift 3 days a week and long dog walks every day as well as regular yard work. None of that has changed recently and no knee pain from any of that stuff prior to the tractor. Also, I'm not overweight so can rule that out as a culprit as well. You have about 20 years of "experience" on me too, so hopefully not just old age! :)

Maybe there is something else I am missing and it isn't the HST pedal just very strange it is just the right knee, no muscle pain, and nothing else has changed.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Shortly after I got the Kubota I spent about 12 hours on it in one day of constant back/forward loader/grading and had cramps that night in muscles I was previously unaware existed in the inside of my right thigh. I dubbed them “treadle pedal muscles” and have been more careful to hydrate during and keep legs warm following future lengthy projects.

But to directly answer your question, even though I’m similar in age to you and it sounds like you’re more fit than I am and my knees make disturbing grinding sounds audible to those nearby when I stand from a squatted position, I have never in 290 hour meter hours of HST operating had any knee pain.

Reactions: 4 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
When mowing, which is mainly in the forward direction, and at max speed in turtle on my BX, what I do is extend my leg and rest the heel of the right foot on the front edge of the treadle pedal (more or less).

That way it requires almost no force to hold the pedal down...

No knee issues here, other than having torn meniscus's in both knees in the past. But that is history after surgery to repair, and something I never think about now.

Hope you find a solution that works for you!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I haven’t had the issue with my L2501 grading hours on our local road. But, if I had, I’d consider adding the cruise control or using it if you have it already.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I'm not even sure of the right way to use the treadle pedal. At first I would keep my foot on top, and was tilting my foot, toe down heel down. Well on the heel down I would start cramping up my leg on my shin muscle, like pulling my toes up to push my heel down. So I've been turning my foot to the right, and using the ball of my foot for fwd/rev. Feels better as my feet kinda point out a bit

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
that gallon of water has to be 'balanced' with 'electrolytes' otherwise you actually tip the 'tettertotter' blood chemistry even further ! Something like $$ gatorade or a tall glass of 1/2 tomato juice,1/4 orange juice, some lemon juice and a few dashes of salt will keep the teeter totter level.

right knee only pain is from using the fwd/rev pedal,10,000 times more than the brake pedal...

Pony Doc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
SSV75 Kioti LK3054 Oliver 1250
Dec 15, 2020
Central Colorado
There are several causes for unilateral (one sided) knee pain and swelling. Some of them require emergent treatment to prevent permanent joint destruction. This is especially true if the knee appears red or feels hot. If it literally feels like there is fluid in the knee joint it will really help to have a doctor drain fluid from the knee for testing, to determine the root cause.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
If I've read everything correctly, Mdkelley, you're just getting into the "breakdown" stage of life. More will come. Suck it up. Take a Tylenol or painkiller of your choice and motor on.

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I found myself getting some good knee stiffness/pain every once in a while soon after getting the B2650. There didn't seem to be any pattern to either short runs or all day mowing/working sessions. Just out of the blue a sore and quite stiff knee....and usually was the right knee.

Trying to figure out the cause and being mindful of what work had been done just prior to the stiffness, it finally dawned on me as to what was happening. For me.....I was exiting the tractor quicker than I should and was pivoting on my right foot to spin around and hit the step to dismount. I was also inadvertently twisting my knee too much.

After making a concerted effort to exit more slowly and without pivoting on my leg.....there hasn't been a stiff knee since.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Go see a Doc! I get both knees shot up a few times a year. Occasionally the right knee gets drained. You could have some fluid build up? Your age has nothing to do with it. I had a total hip replacement at 38 years old and 4 years later the other hip was done. Im 60 now and will be looking at getting the socket that the ball ot the prosthesis rides in replaced. I worked/played hard physically all my life and lift weights heavily starting at a young age. When Im gone at least I will have gotten all the milage my body had to offer! :rolleyes:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
No knee problems, but I have had leg cramps.

As others have noted, I get caught up in what I'm doing and I don't drink enough and I don't take breaks to stretch. I try to force myself every hour to get off the tractor stretch and drink some water or Gatorade.

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Thanks guys, a lot of great advice. I will be mindful of how I get on and off the tractor and see about adjusting the pedal. If I don't operate the tractor for a day or two the swelling and discomfort goes away so definitely related somehow. I did find a website that reviewed a kubota tractor and one of their complaints was knee pain and it suggested adjusting the tension or bolt tightness of the treadle pedal so I will investigate that as well. Could be twisting getting on/off also so I will keep that in mind too. Knee is better today after a day off yesterday, but today I have 5 acres of mowing/tilling/seeding/packing to get done to get food plots in prior to rain here in mid Michigan.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I feel for you and the knee pain. I wonder the day you had the pain and used the tractor were you on and off the tractor a lot? Could be the way you mount and dismount or maybe a twist you did not realize you did, or did repeatedly. Could be a whole variety of things and maybe only a coincidence you used HST that day as well? I am the recipient of 3 ACL reconstructive / replacements on the same knee and lost miniscus each time…not much holding mine together anymore that I am the original owner. For me the step off the machine is the likely culprit or more like stumbling after I am off and rather than fall down gracefully I plant my leg to catch myself….would not want to spill my beer or land in one of my dogs land mines😉. I am not sure that RICE is still the popular treatment or not (I am sure any DOCs on here will correct me)…Rest, Ice, Constrict, Elevate. I think Ice and elevate are the most helpful. If that doesn’t work I’d prescribe 2 - 4 fingers of a straight Kentucky bourbon as needed, repeat daily. Option three is get a bigger tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
You might try adjusting the seat, even adding a pillow to change up the 'normal' position you sit in for 'hours'.. a 'change is good as a rest' idea....
Also, if possible(say while mowing) , put on the cruise control ! I did that while going down the road (15 mins) and the 'right side' felt a LOT better. Going to 'cruise' from now on....
So figuring out the older I get, I ain't getting any younger.....
Now IF I can just remember these 'tricks'......

Reactions: 2 users