Kirkland Heavy duty Diesel oil?

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Opinions? Its $27.00 for 3 gallons at Costco.

Too good to be true/safe for the tractor?

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
15W-40 is likely just as useful and applicable for someone in Georgia as it is for someone in Alabama. The Costco price is actually NOT $27 for 3 gals, it’s $32.99 (making it $11gal).

It meets the CK4 standard and should work for most equipment, but the price is no better, in fact more expensive, than what WalMart gets for Mobil DelVac Synthetic Blend ($10.97/gal) ... OR...their SuperTech brand ($10/gal) meeting the same standard.

The only advantage to the Kirkland product I can see is it includes shipping if you don’t want to drive to town.... and it allows you to do business with a better company than WalMart.

Reactions: 1 user

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
After a little research it's made by Warren Distribution inc. They are the same company that does Amazon basics oil, MAG 1 oil and many more private lable companys.
Here is a link to all the lables they make oil for if anyone is intrested.

With that i dont see any reason that the kirkland oil would not be safe for your tractor as long as it is the correct rating for your engine.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'm with GeoHorn, the price is a great deal but there are other great deals out there too and lot's of options if you want to pay just a little bit more. I'm a big believer in an annual engine oil change irrespective of hours used, I change mine even if a machine only has 20 hours of use in a year. My comfort level is OEM filters and a good brand of oil. I'm a Costco member but don't think I will be using their Kirkland oil at this time.

As other users have pointed out this oil is 15W-40 and is suitable for year round use in areas that are not severely cold, as I'm in Michigan I stick with the 10W-30 recommendation from Kubota that covers the very cold temperatures.

The Kirkland product is certainly "safe" as it meets or exceeds the recommended oil classification from Kubota as it is CK4 rated. It's another great option to be considered and in a pinch I would use this product if budget and availability were factors in my decision making.

As always it's great to learn that it's out there and a possible option, thanks for sharing.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
and it allows you to do business with a better company than WalMart.
That is funny there....

I get mine Rotella T6 from my jobber in 5 gallon pails but Menards is equal in price.

I do like Kirkland microwave extra butter popcorn. Good for those 'popcorn' threads....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
15W-40 is likely just as useful and applicable for someone in Georgia as it is for someone in Alabama. The Costco price is actually NOT $27 for 3 gals, it’s $32.99 (making it $11gal).

It meets the CK4 standard and should work for most equipment, but the price is no better, in fact more expensive, than what WalMart gets for Mobil DelVac Synthetic Blend ($10.97/gal) ... OR...their SuperTech brand ($10/gal) meeting the same standard.

The only advantage to the Kirkland product I can see is it includes shipping if you don’t want to drive to town.... and it allows you to do business with a better company than WalMart.

GeoHorn, Just think how much better your portfolio would look if you had some WMT in there the last 15 years!

I'm sure with your outspoken dislike you've gone through all you mutual funds to make sure they are not invested in it also! 😁

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
GeoHorn, Just think how much better your portfolio would look if you had some WMT in there the last 15 years!

I'm sure with your outspoken dislike you've gone through all you mutual funds to make sure they are not invested in it also! 😁
Actually I inherited quite a bit of WMT a couple decades ago and have kept it because it hasn’t done sufficiently well in the last decade to dump it. My complaint is with regard to how they treat their employees. Contributing to my dislike is the Walton family member who lives in Mineral Wells, Tx that is (according to first-hand reports) a disgusting and rude alcoholic bytch. (She’s so bad the state of AR has reputedly expelled her.). I’ve got friends who’ve flown her around and tell stories that are almost impossible to listen to.). The store chain itself lost my respect 20 years ago when they promoted themselves as a purveyor of “Made in America” but actually sold large amounts of chinese merchandise with American-flag stickers on them.

Last edited: