Key Stop Timer Relay?

deathvalleydog

Equipment
L2900
Sep 30, 2015
Ben Lomond, CA
First off, what is this component? What does it do? And what is the Fuel Key Cut-Off Solenoid, and how does it relate to the Key Stop Timer Relay? :confused:

I've got an L2900 GST, and recently I've been getting the effect of a relay (pretty sure it's one of these two) clicking on and off repeatedly in no particular pattern when I start and shut-off the tractor.

More recently, the stop switch has ceased to function---or rather, it seems to have become mostly unnecessary, as just turning the key to the OFF position now kills the motor. But not all the time ... sometimes I still have to pull the stop switch knob.

It seems clear that one of these two relays---or some electrical connection related to them---is having a problem. But without really knowing what they do and how they are supposed to operate, I'm kinda at a loss as to how to trouble-shoot it.

:rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Key stop timer is a timer controlled relay, on the key being shut off it engages a relay and runs that relay for 5 second, that relay in turn powers the stop solenoid (solenoid that runs the same linkage as the manual stop knob, and shut down the tractor.

on that model turning the key off should stop the tractor, and if your having to manually pull the stop knob then something is wrong.

Do you have the WSM for your tractor, it will have wiring and troubleshooting in it? If not just ask and I'll send you a link to download a copy! ;)

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Had similar problem with my gr2120 turned key off and it kept running. It doesn't have manual shut off and I didn't have a clue what to do, good thing it was during business hours. Called my dealer and they told me how to manually shut it down. After some investigation it turned out to be a blown 15 amp fuse. Hope this helps.
the fuse was labeled EG/Stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deathvalleydog

Equipment
L2900
Sep 30, 2015
Ben Lomond, CA
Key stop timer is a timer controlled relay, on the key being shut off it engages a relay and runs that relay for 5 second, that relay in turn powers the stop solenoid (solenoid that runs the same linkage as the manual stop knob, and shut down the tractor.

on that model turning the key off should stop the tractor, and if your having to manually pull the stop knob then something is wrong.
OK, well that's interesting. I bought this tractor used about 10 years ago, and have always pulled the stop switch to turn it off, because turning the key didn't kill the engine. I just assumed that was how it worked.

And just so I'm understanding this: If the system is working properly, turning the key to the OFF position should kill the engine IMMEDIATELY, correct? So then the stop knob is just a mechanical back-up system for shutting down the motor? I honestly don't know, seeing as I guess it's never worked properly since I've owned it :rolleyes:

Yes, I do have the WSM and I studied the pages that explain the Key Stop Timer. Maybe something was being lost in translation, but I'm embarrassed to admit I was still struggling to wrap my head around the bigger picture.

But let me give it a shot: Key goes to the "off" position, timer relay activates the fuel cut-off solenoid, which pulls the linkage on the fuel injection pump to "off", which kills the engine. Then 5 or so seconds later, the timer relay shuts off and the fuel cut-off solenoid clicks back into the "on" postion.

Correct?

Last edited:

deathvalleydog

Equipment
L2900
Sep 30, 2015
Ben Lomond, CA
Had similar problem with my gr2120 turned key off and it kept running. It doesn't have manual shut off and I didn't have a clue what to do, good thing it was during business hours. Called my dealer and they told me how to manually shut it down. After some investigation it turned out to be a blown 15 amp fuse. Hope this helps.
the fuse was labeled EG/Stop.

That's interesting. Most of my fuse-block had been in shambles since I bought the tractor, and I recently just replaced the entire thing. So I wonder if I actually FIXED an issue? I thought having to pull the stop switch to kill the motor was just how it worked, but I guess the stop switch is just a back-up in case turning the key off doesn't work. And after hearing your story, I can see why they added it! :eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Key goes to the "off" position, timer relay activates the fuel cut-off solenoid, which pulls the linkage on the fuel injection pump to "off", which kills the engine. Then 5 or so seconds later, the timer relay shuts off and the fuel cut-off solenoid clicks back into the "on" postion.

Correct?
You nailed it! :D

To test system, with a simple test light, you need constant power and ground to the relay timer, and a switched hot to relay (that will go dead after key off), that timer will output a hot signal to the stop solenoid.
To test the stop solenoid just jump a hot to the lead and it should engage.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
So sounds like you got a bad relay switch or switch timer. [emoji20]

Last edited:

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
Sounds just like the bad shut-off fuel stop solenoid I had on my G1900 diesel. The timer was always clicking trying to get the bad solenoid to work. Replace the bad stop solenoid and everything working again. FYI my old stop solenoid got very hot until I unplugged it. It was actually running the battery down too.

Ebumax

Sep 22, 2020
Arkansas

Do you have the WSM for your tractor, it will have wiring and troubleshooting in it? If not just ask and I'll send you a link to download a copy! ;)

Ebumax

Sep 22, 2020
Arkansas
OK thanks I'll do more checking on model and serial numbers. And that may help me to trouble shoot it better. I do have a WSM. I have checked fuses and did continuity test on wires all seems to be good, thanks for your help.