Just popped a code

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
While raking the fields I was just about to head over to my other field, looked down and had the engine light on and code P2413. Apparently it is the EGR system. Has anyone had to deal with this before? It on an L4060 HSTC.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
How many hours on the machine? How many hours are 'yours', vs previous owner(s)? Have you noticed any any other indicators of a problem? (unusual engine sounds / reduced performance) Any engine modifications that you are aware of?

Most likely fix is EGR valve replacement, but you may be able to rectify the situation with EGR valve cleaning.

You may also find some answers by describing your typical use of your machine. For example, do you typically 'high rev' the engine during usage? Do you normally run the engine at a steady RPM or normally vary the RPM? Low(er) RPM usage, extended idling or substantial engine loading could be a contributing factor in creating conditions that produced that code, which indicates that your engine's Exhaust Gas Recirculation system may be clogged, or contains a failed valve.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I found a Kubota Troubleshooting guide, and looks like that code is for a stuck EGR actuator valve. A key cycle clears it. So far got several hours on baling hay today afterwards with no more codes.. I did it's first regen at 56 hours the other day, maybe related or not, but seems to have cleared up and running good.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
AND it's back, though with symptoms this time. After 93 hours it popped same code but this time smoke and chugging under 1200 RPM with load. I guess it's time to have it looked at under warranty. I was bringing in my Notill Drill on a pallet and saw smoke coming up from in front, and it cleared when I set the pallet down and backed out, but later after moving another pallet of pellets, smoke returned and the engine light came on. Now it chugs and smokes and is heavy with diesel smell.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Well, Had it looked at, could not replicate, did a manual regen, played around a bit with it, and that was it. That was late November. I did all my hay work, baled 200+ bales, did a bunch of other work, no issues. Today, moving a couple pallets of fertilizer to the barn, just as I was finishing up, beep, engine error P2913, again. I don't know what the warranty is on this, but will contact the dealer again tomorrow and find out. I have not been running it at idle either, very little idle time, I usually ramp it up to 1500 for travel and non pto work.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I'm sure that the appearance of an exhaust-related code is quite frustrating, having experienced the same issue with a diesel truck of mine.

Other than the above ideas from my previous post the only suggestions I have would be to attempt (or have a warranty attempt made) to clean the EGR system/valve and/or replace the EGR valve. My suggestions are based on my diesel truck experience, since my Kubbie doesn't have diesel exhaust treatment.

I would think that a well-warmed up engine would perform sufficient EGR self maintenance that would prevent EGR codes from appearing, but that 'assumption' is for a best-case scenario, I guess. I initially felt that running the engine at a slightly higher RPM (while working) might serve to 'exercise' the system to the point of 'self maintenance' but on the other hand, that would be running more fuel & thus more exhaust through the system, possibly increasing the likelihood of a problem. It may be that your tractor is not performing enough 'regens' in normal operation to maintain the EGR system. It might be worthwhile to figure out how a 'normal' regen is initiated and determine if your tractor or possibly your usage is contributing to the development of an EGR problem. It sure sounds like your usage is enough to expect regular performance from the EGR system.

One final thought: IMO the government-mandated exhaust after-treatment for diesels is designed for HD use, and will perform best when regular, HD use occurs. The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system seems almost like a way to cheat on the measurement of exhaust output, and seemingly must contribute to poor diesel performance while lessening the overall output when measured at the exhaust pipe. It's as if someone is 'strangling' the engine to meet a reading on a measuring device! :(

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
P2413 popped up twice more since my last post. Both times I called and never got a call back for them to come look at it. First one I reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery. Second one I just ignored. Tractor is running fine without issues. I think my warranty is about up too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
P2413 popped up twice more since my last post. Both times I called and never got a call back for them to come look at it. First one I reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery. Second one I just ignored. Tractor is running fine without issues. I think my warranty is about up too.
You need to haul it to a dealer and have them fix it permanently while it's under warranty.
There are quite a few instances where the EGR issue causes other way more expensive emissions issues.

Reactions: 1 users