Just picked up a B2551 3pt snowblower, doesn't throw snow.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Got a great deal, I think, only paid 400, its rusty everywhere but everything turns free and looks like its right. I am running this on the back of my B7100 and tried both PTO speed 1 and 2, didn't take it up to 3 that seemed crazy fast.

The problem is it plugs the spout every time. Inside of the spout is rough and rusted and the snow was 16 inches of wet sticky stuff, not typical for NH in October. Ended up using the front loader and walk behind snowblower.

Other than smoothing and painting the inside of the shoot is there something else I should be looking for, anyone else using a B2551. I am planning on fixing all rust and painting the whole unit but figured if I was taking it apart I would check any area people may know of as trouble spots.

Thanks

George

Last edited:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
This wet sticky stuff is hard to throw, on a good day.
With the rusty chute I can see it clogging quickly.
Stick with your plan and de-rust, smooth and paint the chute.
Some say a shot of PAM cooking spray helps before every outing, but I'm not convinced.

Running it up to PTO speed right? no need to be timid.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I can't Imagine there being to much diffrence between my front and a rear mount blower. With that said........On my front blower I use pam and or WD40 as well the local Lowes has a treatment in their snow blower area that it a black teflon type coating (I also used it on my mower deck) it seams to do well. However with wet heavy snow it is going to be difficult to use your blower :(

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Thanks guys, I will get it cleaned up before our next storm, in theory I should have at least a month, but who would have guessed 16 inches of snow the day before Halloween.

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Had a used Bervac 51" on my B7100 last winter. It had only 3 blades on the 2nd stage & wouldn't blow snow worth beans at 540 RPM PTO speed. Worked great on the 2nd speed, 780 RPM, I think.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I want to know if theres another one sitting there for 400 bucks??

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Lets just say I was lucky to see it on Craigslist when I did, it had been posted 10 minutes before, I was the first caller and he had 7 others in the hour it took me to get to his house with the trailer and cash. I checked that it turned freely and put cash in his hand.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I almost always use 2nd PTO speed with the blower on the back of my B7100. If I am cutting back a snow bank from the plow sometimes I put it in low PTO speed.

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Thanks, I have the shoot off now and am blasting the inside then POR15 then EZ-slide on it. One blade on the impeller is a little bent so figured I have a month before it snows again and will pull the impeller and pound it back. Will update once there is snow to play with again.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago when I was trying out a used tractor with a front mount blower before I bought my B3030.

First thing I'd do is make sure that the augers are set properly because if one side isn't 180 degrees from the other they both will feed the snow straight in to quickly and it will plug itself no matter how fast you're turning it. Wet snow of course can be a problem, so paint it up as soon as you can and use cooking spray or better yet: the cheapest hair spray you can buy as it will do the exact same thing as the cooking spray at a much lower price.
Oh, and don't forget to slow down when it's heavy or it will never work no matter how hard you try.
Tired

Bruce M

Equipment
B6100 w/ B2551 and blade, B20 w/backhoe
Dec 13, 2016
Seguin, ON
My B2551 does a fine job. Take a power wire cup brush and polish the chute and impellers. Spray on or brush on something like ski wax or mold release. I dilute mine with methyl hydrate and let it dry. I would even try Rain-X diluted as the instructions indicate. Keep the blower in the cold before starting to blow snow. Add some Microlon Compound 90 to the gear box to reduce the power required and minimize wear.

grandall4

Aug 27, 2015
Granby MA
If there is a gap between your impeller blade and the housing, screw in a piece of conveyer or other type of rubber flap on each fan blade to close the gap. This will give you a clean sweep of the housing and help to get some distance in your throw.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If there is a gap between your impeller blade and the housing, screw in a piece of conveyer or other type of rubber flap on each fan blade to close the gap. This will give you a clean sweep of the housing and help to get some distance in your throw.
There is a few youtube videos on this subject. Worth the look.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This is very basic but I mention it just in case.

Check the rotation the blower requires and the rotation the pto turns.
People are moving blowers from back to front mounts and the reverse. Some grey market tractors have pto which turn in a reverse direction. Yours could be one of these.

Turning the fan backwards will plug chute for certain.

Good friend has 1980's vintage B7100 hst with 48" 3 pt blower.
He runs it in second speed of the pto and has done so for years without problems. Dont go nuts with thinking the faster the better.

Some blowers were made by McKee who painted the same model Kubota orange, John Deere green and their own were red with a white color around the inside of the big assembly.

McKee's design flaw was a fan too small to get rid of the snow. I had a model 720 which was two augers, one above the other and a 3 blade fan. Back up too fast and the fan could not get rid of the snow fast enough.

Dave M7040