Just got a "new" L185DT

jimbo921

Aug 2, 2011
Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
I've been watching this tractor sit in my neighbors yard rusting with it front wheel missing for the last 3 years. Never having any money to make a decent offer I never inquired. Being the owner a widow, my buddy suggested offering labor. Well I did, and she went for it. For a weekend worth of backhoe work with my 1966 Ford 4500 I am now the proud owner of a L185DT.

After a little fiddling around, draining the old fuel, bleeding the system and a fresh battery. to my surprise it fired right up! this thing has been sitting outside for years!

Now the bad (kinda) The front axle needs a new bevel gear and some bearings not that big of a deal for me. But heres where I'm a little lost. The 3-point arms wont lower. They seem to be locked in the upright position. I plan to purge all the fluids and filters. Where is the level check for the trans / hydraulic fluid? What else could be causing the "lock-up"?

Thanks,

-Jim

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The 3PH is power up and gravity down, add some weight or push down on the lift arms and see what happens.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Congrats on the great find.
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal for you.
Maybe your Ford can earn you a few implements to compliment your find.

How many hours?
When are you posting pics?

As for the lock up do as suggested by Eric.
Also
Check for a knob between your knees (dirty mind) when seated.
Should be a lock out knob there for 3pth. Maybe it's cranked shut.

Level plug should be by your left boot when seated.
Some tractors have a spy glass.

Clean your hydraulic suction screen.
Find the throw out bearing.

jimbo921

Aug 2, 2011
Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
Shes got about 1200 hrs on the clock. The knob was cranked down tight but even If I open it up the arms wont come own. I stood on top of them (about 240lbs) nothing. They will rotate about 1/4" back and forth and come to a hard "stop" in either direction when you move them by hand. Its as if the valve is not really releasing. Possible that being cranked down tight so many years something is stuck?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you take the seat off and undo a series of bolts around the seating area there you will find the pressure cylender that controls the lift of the 3pt hitch.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
I like this trading thing tractor for work.

Maybe you have to service the valves. And even if they are still ok, you should be able to lower it when the oil could come out as long you have opend the valves. Otherwise the cylinder is stucked...

carl

jimbo921

Aug 2, 2011
Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
Took the cap off the cylinder and turns out it was stuck. luckily the outer sleeve came out of the housing and i was able to press out the piston fairly easily in the shop press. A little wire brushing, emery cloth, and some elbow grease and shes good as new. goes up and down smooth as silk.

My parts should be in this weekend so I can get the front hub back together. Pretty excited!

I just learned too that this tractor actually used to live on this property back in the 80's when it was new a couple owners back. Now shes back home I guess. Neat!

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Took the cap off the cylinder and turns out it was stuck. luckily the outer sleeve came out of the housing and i was able to press out the piston fairly easily in the shop press. A little wire brushing, emery cloth, and some elbow grease and shes good as new. goes up and down smooth as silk.

My parts should be in this weekend so I can get the front hub back together. Pretty excited!
Lucky guy with solving the lifting problem so easily.

May I ask what you have ordered and how much it will cost you?

carl

jimbo921

Aug 2, 2011
Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
bevel gear from a scrap yard (was missing) = 100.00
New bearings / seals / oil filter / air filter / and key switch = 170.00
New battery = 70.00
I'll probably have another 50.00 or so in fluids
for a grand total of 390.00

jimbo921

Aug 2, 2011
Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
got her up and running today :) looks like the tie rod ends need replaced, and the other side hub assembly needs the same bushing and seals I put in the dismantled side. But all and all good running little machine. Clutch works good, trans is good, engine runs smooth. 3pt works well. just need to find me a finish mower and shes gonna start earnin keep! What size finish more can a L185 pull?

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
mind if i ask where you ordered the front end parts...?
my 4wd is out..... need to research some front end parts.

cstempert

Equipment
L185DT-L1730FEL -Woods L59 , Kubota plow blade, Case 220 w/ snowblower / blade /mower / Cyclone rake
Jun 30, 2009
Wolcott, CT
Jimbo
I have a Woods L59 finish mower that will work, but you will need to get the idler bracket (Wods P/N 8968) that attaches the deck to the transmission case

I ahve manuals for the tractor and the finish mower