Just bought an M4500DT project tractor

kdpearson

Equipment
Kubota L345DT, Kubota M4500DT, International 544, Ford 3000, 1949 8N Ford
May 5, 2015
Albany, OR
I just bought an M4500DT with an EZEE-ON FEL for a song (not much more than the loader is worth). The catch is it has a broken crankshaft so I have some searching and some wrenching to do.
I've done some quick searches and have not found a lot of options for a replacement crankshaft so I thought I'd reach out here for advice.
Anyone have a recommendation on where I can find an S2600 crankshaft?

I don't have any pics to post but will add some when I get the tractor home.

Ken

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
The M4500DT is a great tractor. I have never seen one break a crankshaft. I would check with Grain Farmer (573)-225-5039 . They have a lot of engine parts for the older tractors.The six cylinder in this tractor is one of the nicest sounding engines you will ever hear.
Good Luck Lance

kdpearson

Equipment
May 5, 2015
Albany, OR
Thanks for the tip Lance. I will reach out to them tomorrow.

I can't wait to put this guy to work. I've been over-working my L345DT picking up round bales with a spear. Poor old guy just takes it and keeps on going.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I just bought an M4500DT with an EZEE-ON FEL for a song (not much more than the loader is worth). The catch is it has a broken crankshaft so I have some searching and some wrenching to do.
I've done some quick searches and have not found a lot of options for a replacement crankshaft so I thought I'd reach out here for advice.
Anyone have a recommendation on where I can find an S2600 crankshaft?

I don't have any pics to post but will add some when I get the tractor home.

Ken
I have an M4500 that I bought last year with 2300 hrs on it. I use it as a rake tractor during haying and in the winter it plows the lanes. It's a solid machine but the controls are odd compared to US made machines of that era.

kdpearson

Equipment
May 5, 2015
Albany, OR
Thanks JerryMT.
I am looking forward to using mine for haying as well. Just need a crankshaft...

kdpearson

Equipment
May 5, 2015
Albany, OR
After a long hiatus (I thought it would be fun to take a year off and have a heart attack... turns out not so much) I finally dug into this M4500. I found a crank and the remains of another S2600 engine in Spokane. Just about finished putting the engine back together and ready to stab it back in the tractor. I'm really looking forward to using this tractor! Hay season is right around the corner.

kdpearson

Equipment
May 5, 2015
Albany, OR
Its been while but owed an update. I was able to get the tractor back together and got it started (wow, there was a lot of smoke the first start!). I was breaking it in easy around the ranch using it for simple chores then hay season hit and my main hay tractor (International 544 gas) decided it wanted to quit spinning the PTO so I changed out the break in oil and put this guy to work. It is a great hay rig! The big front tires really smooth out rough fields so raking is a lot quicker. And the 6 cylinder engine is a real smooth runner. It came with a "glass pack" muffler thats pretty loud and I'm thinking of running the exhaust down under the tractor rather than the upright setup it currently has.

Overall it is a really great tractor and I'm super happy to have it in my lineup.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Its been while but owed an update. I was able to get the tractor back together and got it started (wow, there was a lot of smoke the first start!). I was breaking it in easy around the ranch using it for simple chores then hay season hit and my main hay tractor (International 544 gas) decided it wanted to quit spinning the PTO so I changed out the break in oil and put this guy to work. It is a great hay rig! The big front tires really smooth out rough fields so raking is a lot quicker. And the 6 cylinder engine is a real smooth runner. It came with a "glass pack" muffler thats pretty loud and I'm thinking of running the exhaust down under the tractor rather than the upright setup it currently has.

Overall it is a really great tractor and I'm super happy to have it in my lineup.
Glad you have it running. Hope your ticker is ticking right along also.

kdpearson

Equipment
May 5, 2015
Albany, OR
Glad you have it running. Hope your ticker is ticking right along also.
Thank you! The ticker is doing great. Just one stent in left lower artery and all is well. Baled up 4000 small square bales this last season so it's keep in up (both the M4500dt and my ticker).

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Thinking about what might have broken the crankshaft... was the harmonic balancer/detuner on the front of the crankshaft OK? I've never heard of a problem with one, but perhaps something happened to it, does your tractor have a crankshaft driven aux hydraulic pump or anything else out the front?

sitric

Equipment
L2850DT Ferguson TO35
Jan 13, 2023
Michigan
Thinking about what might have broken the crankshaft... was the harmonic balancer/detuner on the front of the crankshaft OK? I've never heard of a problem with one, but perhaps something happened to it, does your tractor have a crankshaft driven aux hydraulic pump or anything else out the front?
That post was 3 1/2 years ago, and he hasn't been on the forum since. Probably not going to get an answer from him.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That post was 3 1/2 years ago, and he hasn't been on the forum since. Probably not going to get an answer from him.
I had the same thought. I hope he's busy and doing well and that's why he hasn't been back. (y)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I see project tractors for sale regularly and think it'd be fun to have an older Kubota to play with, but then I look at all my other projects that I've yet to start or complete and think better of the idea.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Funny thing - I've always had an eye open for older Kubotas to bring back to normal service - and with the passage of time I seem to have collected several ! The L3250's 9-yr paint job has the customary faded patina of an older machine, the L5450 is always ready to blow lots of snow (haven't had much this year) and the L48 supposedly only needed its HST fixed, but is still here 10 years later. Time flies.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
That post was 3 1/2 years ago, and he hasn't been on the forum since. ...
Yeah I know, but there's no law against it :)

Probably should have prefaced my post with "I know this is an old post but ...." and who knows maybe the OP is still around somewhere. Hopefully both his ticker and his tractor are still going strong. I've always been interested in failure analysis so I was wondering about the relative rarity of a broken crank (at least how I interpreted 007kubotaguys post) and the presence or otherwise of the detuner. Just one of those things that bubble to the surface of the soup that makes up my brain at an unhinged moment.