jump start gone bad

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I jump started my L2250 and reversed the polarity now nothing works where do I start? Have a few fried wires.
well,

best start with every wire that is fried. Replace them and see if you can make anything work - fuses may be blown - take inventory on those too.

You will need a new battery I would imagine.........

in the future.....

jump start with tractor in Neutral.....make sure....even then lock the wheels with e brake if it works that way......

connect everything BUT the ground to dead tractor......

then find the magic spot on dead tractor and connect ground, hit the key then.

I real dead battery will not jump start well.

what you did is place a large amount of amps in the good battery running head on into the weaker amps of the bad battery.....somebody lost that fight!

If the wires and fuses are the only dead soldiers ...then count your lucky stars.....

my ex BIL had a mazda rx7 many years ago , bought a new battery from a local auto store....the terminals were CHARGED backwards.....when he hooked it up and hit the key.....fried every computer component in the system........ needless to say - the people at that store where in for a treat when the battery was placed BACK on the counter and the positive was not and the negative was positive.

report back on what you complete and what happens ...

sorry to hear of your bad misfortune!

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I believe there is a main fuse , near the battery area . Not sure about your machine but I know on mine there is . I would think all models have one for just such circumstances. Just a shot in the dark , but good place to start.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On that model there is a main fusible link that will be in the line about the size of a pencil that runs from the starter to the ignition switch, connected to the same terminal as the big battery wire. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Usually,when boosted backwards that fusible link will blow,as the diodes in alternator will behave like a short, overloading the link. Most often its a section of wiring that is designed to melt. A new section of fusible link can be soldered in. Just replace it with the correct amperage fuse link. A test light will prove useful in this situation, by working from battery on down every circuit yo should be able to find all the open circuits.

Hope it goes well for you.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The fusible link (part number 38430-34530 light green) is intended to protect the instruments etc. if a battery is connected backward. It costs about $6 at the dealer or several online places list it. Usually located directly above the starter, it's a plug with a short loop of fat wire. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
Don't feel bad the place I work had an electrical engineer that hooked up the freshly charged battery backwards in our man lift fried everything. Go figure right.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

gmandell

Equipment
L2250
Aug 23, 2015
seymour,ct, usa
replaced the fusable link found a shorted yellow wire running along the frame, under the seat replaced the shorted section, I reconnected all of the wiring harnesses, the fusable link to the starter all the other electrical connections, when I hooked the new battery up the it arced, had the ground on too.
it almost seems like the tractor has a positive ground, and I installed the battery same way the last one was in.
Any more suggestions?

Trent

Equipment
B7510
Aug 14, 2015
Henderson, KY
I don't know much about Kubotas, but I do understand how alternators and charging systems work. There should be no reason why you couldn't unhook the alternator, isolate the connections (tape up everything), and try again. In this condition everything should work except the charging function. Good luck.

Along these lines, does anyone know where schematics can be found? I don't have a problem but would like to understand my tractor better.

Trent