Joystick orientation question

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
I have had a L3430 for about a year and half, I sort of got used to the FEL pattern while moving snow on the Bota, until this summer when switching back and forth to my JD, so now the Kubota pattern seems misaligned, as it did when I first starting using it.
The JD and my older, gone JD, the "cross" pattern-- if you will-- the loader is dead ahead and is straight back, same with the bucket at three and nine o'clock.
My issue is on the 3430 it is "twisted" so the motion is about one and seven o'clock and ten and four.
I am going to shim the bracket that attaches the stick to the wheel well, but was wondering if there is a kit or parts that would make the attachment of the two parts adjustable. Dreaming perhaps.

And, just curious, I was surprised at the hour meter on the 3430, if it idles for say one-half hour, a half-hour shows up on the meter, I was always under the understanding that farm tractors logged hour to hour at PTO speed. Meaning if you work for one hour at 1300, the meter logs one half hour.

Thanks all

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Some engine hour meters do work off the tachometer. Arguably that is a more accurate representation of engine wear. My tractor's meter is a simple timer like yours. They're cheaper.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
So... my BX23S that I've used nearly every day for 3 years, has ZERO 'PTO hours' ! I've never had the BH off,or installed the 3PT kit,or even run at PTO speed, so again ZERO PTO time.....wow, neat,NO engine use ?, OK fun is over...
It'd be interesting to see the 'math' behind a 'PTO speed' hourmeter, does running at 1/4 PTO speed = 1/4 hour runtime ? Maybe for Tractor 'A' yes, for 'B', it's only 1/6th the 'wear and tear' ? If you only use at low speed(mucking out the barn) that could cause more wear, than a light grass mowing chore ?
'Engine runtime' hourmeters are simple, most use the oil pressure sensor as the 'tell' to calculate the hours.

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
Some engine hour meters do work off the tachometer. Arguably that is a more accurate representation of engine wear. My tractor's meter is a simple timer like yours. They're cheaper.
Thats a good way to explain it.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
So... my BX23S that I've used nearly every day for 3 years, has ZERO 'PTO hours' ! I've never had the BH off,or installed the 3PT kit,or even run at PTO speed, so again ZERO PTO time.....wow, neat,NO engine use ?, OK fun is over...
It'd be interesting to see the 'math' behind a 'PTO speed' hourmeter, does running at 1/4 PTO speed = 1/4 hour runtime ? Maybe for Tractor 'A' yes, for 'B', it's only 1/6th the 'wear and tear' ? If you only use at low speed(mucking out the barn) that could cause more wear, than a light grass mowing chore ?
'Engine runtime' hourmeters are simple, most use the oil pressure sensor as the 'tell' to calculate the hours.
Every approach is a compromise. As an indicator for maintenance needs, it’s not bad.

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
I didn't use the correct example of explaining farm tractor hour meters that I have had.
Instead of saying "at PTO speed", I should have said at 2600 rpm.
TORCH, did it the correct way.
My two JD's are the same, one hour working at 1300 rpm, logs one half hour on the meter.
One hour of working at 2600 rpm equals one hour logged.

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
I am very surprised nobody commented on the FEL joystick question, maybe my 3430 is one of very few.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I am very surprised nobody commented on the FEL joystick question, maybe my 3430 is one of very few.
I was intrigued by the concept, but Google doesn't show up any answers for me. Possibly a persuasive designer or marketer had a wonderful idea and then Kubota quickly discovered customers didn't like it.

If I understand your description correctly, forward gives you lower or dump - depending on whether you move the stick to left or to right at the same time, and back gives you raise or crowd (=curl), again depending on favouring left or right... but in this case the left or right operates the opposite function to when you were moving the stick forward? It would confuse the hell out of me.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I didn't use the correct example of explaining farm tractor hour meters that I have had.
Instead of saying "at PTO speed", I should have said at 2600 rpm.
TORCH, did it the correct way.
My two JD's are the same, one hour working at 1300 rpm, logs one half hour on the meter.
One hour of working at 2600 rpm equals one hour logged.
That's exactly the way both of my JDs and Ford did it. The proofmeter was busted on my IH, so I have no idea how it would have worked. The 'bota sure adds up hours fast compared to any of them.

I wonder if that encourages those looking for resale value to stop and start their tractor more (rather than idling).

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I have an L3450 and the joystick is straight forward and back and left/right. 12/6 - 9/3. Maybe something got tweaked and can be bent back