JD 450C w/Forestry package

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
A good friend is selling this dozer. He wants $20k. Hours unknown but condition is excellent for the year.
All of the problem areas associated with these machines have either never been a problem or have been remedied.
It has wet steering clutches, undercarriage is practically new, factory winch w/arch, canopy and limb risers.
I have owned a few JD's over the years: 420. 1010, 450B so I am pretty familiar with them.
I know smaller crawlers are hard to find and the price of everything is way up but just wanted some feedback from the forum crew.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
As you know the track is the most expensive part to fix. You have a leg up if you know the seller and how he treats his equipment. You have to decide what you need to use the machine to do and assess the condition it's in accordingly. Price wise it sounds reasonable for a farm mchine.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
A good friend is selling this dozer. He wants $20k. Hours unknown but condition is excellent for the year.
All of the problem areas associated with these machines have either never been a problem or have been remedied.
It has wet steering clutches, undercarriage is practically new, factory winch w/arch, canopy and limb risers.
I have owned a few JD's over the years: 420. 1010, 450B so I am pretty familiar with them.
I know smaller crawlers are hard to find and the price of everything is way up but just wanted some feedback from the forum crew.
Who could be better to buy from than a good friend?

Do you need it? I buy things I don't really need but figure I can use them in the future. NOT $20K purchases though. BUT STILL buying from an unknown person in the future will always be a huge question mark...

My Son in law paid more than that for a little BX23S...Just to put things in perspective. I know, different machines, but still...

I'm glad he is your friend and not mine. I would be tempted...LOL

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I have some long term forest management plans that are basically impossible for me to accomplish with just my tractor. The terrain is very rough, steep and wet and will require some trail building and material moving. I have used dozers before on the land so I know it can do the job.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Update: I went over to his place today and offered to buy it...he is ok with it but wants to run it past his father anyway just to get his feedback.
I hope to have pics soon:p

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Great dozers. I ran one for years. We used it in the winter logging. Maneuvering in the woods beats anything else and they put really good winches on them. Check the frame over closely just in front of the operators platform. With the winch arch, they were known to crack there because of the high load the arch puts on the frame. RN Johnson came up with a solution for that and used to put reinforcement rods on the ones that they sold going from the arch to the front of the machine. PM me if you have any questions about them.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Great dozers. I ran one for years. We used it in the winter logging. Maneuvering in the woods beats anything else and they put really good winches on them. Check the frame over closely just in front of the operators platform. With the winch arch, they were known to crack there because of the high load the arch puts on the frame. RN Johnson came up with a solution for that and used to put reinforcement rods on the ones that they sold going from the arch to the front of the machine. PM me if you have any questions about them.
It is too bad RN Johnson closed up shop. They were a handy dealer for me as they were close by.
Thanks for the info offer.