J Bar 5ft HD rotary cutter

Marknga

Equipment
2006 Kubota L4400D, 6ft Befco finishing mower, 5ft J Bar HD rotary cutter
Sep 13, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
I have been shopping for a rotary cutter. I bought my 2006 L4400D last fall and it had a Befco finishing mower with it. Our 11.5 acre lot that we will be building on has about acre and half field and the rest is wooded. As I shopped around for rotary cutters I found pricing all over the place. Really didn't want to spend 2K on a rotary cutter, that once I clean up the underbrush won't probably be used but once maybe twice a year. My neighbor had bought a refurbished Ford tractor with a J Bar 4 ft rotary cutter on it and I was impressed.
Yes I know get what you pay for but my first impression is that it will be just fine at about half or less than a Titan, Bush Hog or Land pride.
As I was looking online I couldn't much about the J Bar ( they are made here in Ga.) so I thought I share my experience.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is this the mower that has four blades instead of only two?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Looks good! Keep in mind a lot of parts on these are generic, like the gearbox is probably the same mfg. that shows up on a lot of these other well known (more expensive) brands. Same goes for the PTO shaft, blades, etc. the differences are the construction and gauge of the deck, warranty, etc. That one looks well made from here.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have been shopping for a rotary cutter. I bought my 2006 L4400D last fall and it had a Befco finishing mower with it. Our 11.5 acre lot that we will be building on has about acre and half field and the rest is wooded. As I shopped around for rotary cutters I found pricing all over the place. Really didn't want to spend 2K on a rotary cutter, that once I clean up the underbrush won't probably be used but once maybe twice a year. My neighbor had bought a refurbished Ford tractor with a J Bar 4 ft rotary cutter on it and I was impressed.
Yes I know get what you pay for but my first impression is that it will be just fine at about half or less than a Titan, Bush Hog or Land pride.
As I was looking online I couldn't much about the J Bar ( they are made here in Ga.) so I thought I share my experience.
If you plan to use it only temporarily, why not buy a used one.

Should be able to find a serviceable 5' rough cut mower for $500.

Let someone else eat the 50% depreciation.

SDT

Marknga

Equipment
Sep 13, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
If you plan to use it only temporarily, why not buy a used one.

Should be able to find a serviceable 5' rough cut mower for $500.

Let someone else eat the 50% depreciation.

SDT
Man I looked at used and folks are crazy proud of them. The ones I found for 700 looked like junk. They may have been serviceable but I dont know. New to this tractor stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I've seen the same thing. $800 for complete junk.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Did you drive up to the J bar site in Summerville?? They are only about 25 miles from me. I passed by there last week and they didn't seem to have as many implements outside as they normally do. Maybe they'r selling a lot.

Marknga

Equipment
Sep 13, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Did you drive up to the J bar site in Summerville?? They are only about 25 miles from me. I passed by there last week and they didn't seem to have as many implements outside as they normally do. Maybe they'r selling a lot.
No I got it from a local dealer who ordered it directly from them. Took a couple of weeks for that shipment to come in.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks like a dead wringer for the ones ASC sells in their catalog and you do get what you pay for. Just bought anew LandPride RM 96" wide chopper and it was 3400 bucks. Built like a tank. Will outlast me.

Marknga

Equipment
Sep 13, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
That's a lot of rotary cutter!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
They're cheap built but will cut grass. I had one when I first got started on my own but it didn't stay around long. Cut quality is poor compared to other brands like Bushhog but for sure cost a lot less.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks good! Keep in mind a lot of parts on these are generic, like the gearbox is probably the same mfg. that shows up on a lot of these other well known (more expensive) brands. Same goes for the PTO shaft, blades, etc. the differences are the construction and gauge of the deck, warranty, etc. That one looks well made from here.
Landpride has their own proprietary gearboxes. I know, I have one. 'Landpride' is cast right in the side of the gearcase.

I've never seen a chopper with 4 blades, only 2. If one exists I'd sure like to see a picture of the underside.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
They're cheap built but will cut grass. I had one when I first got started on my own but it didn't stay around long. Cut quality is poor compared to other brands like Bushhog but for sure cost a lot less.
The difference between a cheap chopper and an expensive one is the gauge of the steel in the deck and the way it's assembled and the right angle gearbox. My Landpride has a smooth top with a rear radius and chain protectors front and rear and the gearbox is rated at 150 PTO horsepower input and looks the part plus it has a built in slip clutch. It also has replaceable skids on the outside edges and the 3 point attachment is full floating. Mine is rated for wood up too 1.5 inches in diameter. It handles that, no issue.

Guy down the road bought one from TSC about 5 years ago and already it's rusting through and the paint is flaking off. Choppers lead a rough life anyway. Might as well buy a good one once than buy a cheap one a couple times.

When I field cut with it, I'm running at 5mph and scrub vanishes like it wasn't even there.

Like I said, I've never seen a chopper with 4 blades so I'd like to be educated if one exists.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That's a lot of rotary cutter!

Not really. I almost bought a bat wing. I have the power, just didn't want to deal with one. The 96 wide is plenty for what I do. I trim around the borders of my hayfields to remove brush so I'm not getting scrub in my round bales. I think a 96 is the widest single chopper Land Pride makes. It's actually 101 inches to the outside of the deck edge.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I've never seen a chopper with 4 blades, only 2. If one exists I'd sure like to see a picture of the underside.

Look down at the bottom of this page. It seems they make a carrier for 4 blades and install all four on only some of them.

http://jbarcorp.com/cutter/cutter.html

I was interested in these but already have a normal brush hog. But I really need a finish mower that cuts higher than 5 inches tall. I have mostly native grass that I prefer to cut tall to encourage it’s growth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk