It's a small world

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I was talking to my son yesterday on the phone. He said he got to thinking about this friend he met while in the navy 35 years ago. When they got out they never made contact again. The other day my boy gets on Facebook and types in the guys name and the second name that came up was his old friend. My boy gave him his ph# and the guy called him. It just so happens this guys work takes down the highway about 20 times a year less than a mile from my boys house. As luck would have it the guy is the area, so they're going to meet at a restaurant this morning for breakfast. I think that's pretty neat. :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sawmill, funny that you mention that. I work out of town on occasion for work helping out at other locations. Sometimes filling in for a mechanic on vacation or training/ retraining existing mechanics.

I've worked in the rental business for the past 11 years. Several years ago, we had a truck driver come in hauling equipment. Come to find out the guy thought he knew me. Well turns out he didn't know me. He knew my twin brother, and was my brothers former room mate from years ago in another state :D

I've run into guys in South Texas, Oklahoma, and North Dakota that knew me from when they worked oil field in Arkansas and rented equipment from us here.

Now the latest. A couple weeks ago I was working in Salt Lake city, UT. Covering for one of there mechanics while he was on vacation. I work for the pump division, and that location shared a shop with the power and Hvac division. The salesman for power and Hvac came walking through the shop, and started talking to me from the other end of the shop. He looked familiar, and it clicked as soon as I heard him talk and asked him his name. He and I worked for a different company 10 years ago in Orlando Florida, and our divisions shared the same shop. :D

klar5020

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Apr 10, 2017
Las Cruces
www.riobravoalpacas.com
Hate to say it but Facebook is good for that type of thing... I've found several Navy buddies over the years... now we're Facebook friends...

Another good place to go is Together We Served.com they've got the services split up so you can limit your search to whatever service.. you put in where and when you served at different places and it connects people.. found several people that way too!

Larry

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Hate to say it but Facebook is good for that type of thing"

that is exactly right......it really should have a warning label - IF under the age of .....35, you are not grown up yet and cannot use it.....

no I do not have a facebook account, IF I had relatives out of town, I would consider it, but facebook is just like the rest of the net, great tool when not over used or abused!

THIS IS my facebook account!:D:)

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
Yes, it is a small world.

Had a phone conversation with my mom the other day. She moved to AZ from MN after my father passed (they were snow birds anyway) and she had stopped at a fast food joint for a quick bite.
Another couple asked if she was a "snow bird", but she said no, she moved from MN 3 yrs ago. Small talk ensued and she found out the gentleman she was talking with graduated with her (class size of 400+) and lived just a few blocks from some of my mom's HS friends.
Yup a small world!

My story. Interviewing people for a backup position, get to the last guy and he say's "I know you from somewhere!" I'm racking my brain when my boss (also conducting the interview) say's "what about the range". We both click, yup. I used to work part time at a gun range/shop and he and his wife were frequent customers.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
It is a small world, neat story.

Couple of buddies and I lease a farm to hunt on, been doing so for 6 years.

Always wanted to meet the guys that hunt beside us just to talk and see what kind of Quality Deer Management they practice if any.

This past November I hear a 4 wheeler near the property line so I head through the woods to meet the person.

I told him who I was, said I was Jay Johnson from coats. He replied with his name and ask if I had a brother named Lucas. I said yes, how in the world would you have a clue? he said I roomed next door to Lucas back in the 90's and I remember him telling me he was from Coats, also he remembered it was a small town.

We talked for a while and exchanged #'s, indeed a small world.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
My dad passed away about 10 years ago and a few months after his death, I received a call from a guy who was a Navy buddy of my late brother. He said that he was one of the guys who shared a house with my brother when they served on a sub based in Charleston during the mid-60s. While trying to complete their crew roster, he came across my dad's obituary stating that he was pre-deceased by a son in the early 90s. (It's not hard to find us because our last name was messed up by immigration when my grandparents came through Ellis Island and there are only about a dozen folks in the US with the same last name - and half of them are my kids.) He shared some good stories and sent me some old pics of them at a bar (check) and eating out with some gals (check).