Issues with RTV X1140

Chief260

Equipment
Kubota X1140 4W
Aug 28, 2023
Dallas Texas
HELLO, I AM A NEW OWNER WHEREBY I PURCHASED THIS 2017 RTV X1140 ON A AUCTION SITE AND AFTER RECEIVING IT, I SENT IT STRAIGHT TO THE DEALERSHIP WHERE THEY DISCOVERED THE DIESEL MOTOR IS APPARENTLY IN BAD SHAPE, ACCORDING TO THE KUBOTA DEALERSHIP, MOTOR INJECTION SYSTEM IS FOULING OUT AS WELL AS SOME WATER IS SHOWING UP IN THE OIL, ACCORDING TO SERVICE DEPT IT IS ALSO BLOWING A LITTLE OIL OUT THE EXHAUST. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON REPAIRING OR JUST REPLACING IT. KUBOTA DEALER QUOTED ME 6.1K FOR A NEW ENGINE PLUS ODDITIES N LABOR FOR TOTAL PRICE OF 9,830.00. ARE THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE OUT THERE OR IS THE NEW ONE MOTOR THE BEST OPTION? APPRECIATE ANY INSIGHT.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
First off you’re going to get comments for typing in all caps. Don’t do that. Even drafters have stopped doing that in most industries (old habits die hard).

I suggest dumping this worn out, broke down $10k repair job (starting offer, after you have the first $10k into it, they’ll know you’re good for at least $12 maybe $15k) and buying a used $10-15k running and driving UTV that you can test drive and have inspected prior to purchase. Kind of sucks, but I think the auction had its way with you.

Reactions: 2 users

Chief260

Equipment
Kubota X1140 4W
Aug 28, 2023
Dallas Texas
First off you’re going to get comments for typing in all caps. Don’t do that. Even drafters have stopped doing that in most industries (old habits die hard).

I suggest dumping this worn out, broke down $10k repair job (starting offer, after you have the first $10k into it, they’ll know you’re good for at least $12 maybe $15k) and buying a used $10-15k running and driving UTV that you can test drive and have inspected prior to purchase. Kind of sucks, but I think the auction had its way with you.
I understand, and appreciate your input. No doubt I got stung a little but not too bad. I buy lots of items and most of them I know prior to bidding, however this was a first for me with a Kubota RTV brand item. I learn pretty fast most of the time, but these lil diesel engines are normally pretty solid engines. I have a light tower with one of these motors and it has always fired up first time. I’m looking at maybe trading it in on a new one, we will see. As far as using CAPS, When my laptop keypad battery runs low, it automatically defaults to caps and Im unable to change it, until I’m able to plug it in to a charger somewhere, which I just did. Its not a old habit, I just wanted to start this thread ASAP to get some input. Batteries don’t last long when your outside in the Texas heat these days. Uggh! Thanks again for the comment. Have a good day!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I understand, and appreciate your input. No doubt I got stung a little but not too bad. I buy lots of items and most of them I know prior to bidding, however this was a first for me with a Kubota RTV brand item. I learn pretty fast most of the time, but these lil diesel engines are normally pretty solid engines. I have a light tower with one of these motors and it has always fired up first time. I’m looking at maybe trading it in on a new one, we will see. As far as using CAPS, When my laptop keypad battery runs low, it automatically defaults to caps and Im unable to change it, until I’m able to plug it in to a charger somewhere, which I just did. Its not a old habit, I just wanted to start this thread ASAP to get some input. Batteries don’t last long when your outside in the Texas heat these days. Uggh! Thanks again for the comment. Have a good day!
You’re welcome.

Yeah, a bit of bad luck on this auction buy. I get you on being partial to an engine if you’ve owned the same previously and it was a good one (works the opposite directions for bad ones).

That’s comical on the laptop defaulting to caps lock when the battery is low. I guess it’s yelling at you. 🤣

Good luck with an economical resolution, or maybe it’s just a third quarter business loss.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Caps,hats, umbrellas or sombreros , old men don't last long out🤒side in the Texas heat these days either.
I've been tearing down gasoline engines from 3 horse to 300 horse since I was a kid but I wouldn't attempt rebuilding a diesel on a bet. I pretty much view a diesel with serious wear as scrap iron. From the economic standpoint I advise getting what you can for the machine,call it a lesson and look for something in running condition..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like you never ran the engine at the auction so I assume you got it for $5K or less ??
What was the overall condition of the machine ( dirty,worm or 'pretty' ) ?
Here in Ontario they start at $30K, so dumping $10K into an old machine is really boarderline unless it's in showroom condition. heck, if the engines 'history' the rest has to be as well. Like you said, engines are reliable....
Rebuilding a diesel is no different than gas... a block and lots of parts. as long as you're clean,follow the WSM and use OEM parts, Humpty Dumpty can run again.

Grab a piece of paper, get some real numbers down for prices and see IF it makes sense.

kubotaRtv

Equipment
RTV-1140
Dec 29, 2023
USA
I know its been a couple of months that you created this post but I ran into your thread and wanted to give you a cheaper option that would work. Instead of putting in a new diesel engine, change out the head gasket. It is actually not that hard and this youtuber explains it step by step: (His is a 900 but should be similar procedure for the 1140)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
sounds like head gasket is the least of the worries.

oil out of exhaust means there is oil getting past the rings which means piston and/or cylinder are hurt.

Just for a small example, I'm working on my late father's G1800. diesel. Dad called me last year and said this $#&*( lawn mower will not start. Said he ran the $#**ng thing out of fuel. Ok cool I'll run by there on lunch (about 40 minutes later). I did. I get there, he's out mowing. Ok I guess he got it going. He came in to eat with me and mom and said these f*&*##@'n things are a pain to get started if you run em out of fuel. Anyway, I started to get back to work and noticed a can of starting fluid sitting next to where he normally parks the mower. Ah-hah. That's how he got it started. Dad, being old I didn't say anything and to myself, I fully expected to have internal engine damage. Dad passed in May of 23 and mom still uses that mower. Well she mentioned that it's hard to start and smokes out of a pipe that hangs down beside the engine. I went & looked at it, sure enough, low compression and lots of oil usage (uses as much oil as it does fuel). Well she babied it through the summer and now I have it. Broken ring land on 2 cylinders' piston. Direct result of starting fluid. Stuff's real hard on these engines! So now I get to put about $800 worth of parts into it and free labor (it's really my mower, I just let mom basically have it while I keep it maintained).

so with all that said, it's possible that the PO had hit it with the starting fluid and damaged a piston or two or maybe bent a couple rods. Pull the head and find out. If rods are bent the pistons will be down in the cylinder at TDC. You can't see the rings and ring lands on the pistons until you remove them, so if the rods ain't bent, you'll have to pull the oil pan and remove the pistons. If the cylinders are scratched or scored, you'll have to pull the block from the unit and rebuild it-which depending on the damage may be as expensive as replacing it. Generally the dealer techs will weigh the cost to rebuild (parts + labor) vs the cost to replace (engine + fluids + labor). If there is not a big difference in cost, and a lot of times there isn't, then they'll suggest replacing it. Also a replacement engine is oftentimes carrying a better warranty-at one time it was 1 year/1000 hr for replacement engine (if R&R was done by a dealer). Or if they rebuilt it, it would be a 30 day or 90 day warranty.

That begs the question, why is a rebuild so expensive? Labor. I've done quite a few. Rebuilding costs are machining costs (farmed out usually), parts, fluids, gaskets, bearings, pistons/rings/pins/clips, and lots of labor. I did an L2900 engine overhaul a while back (at home) and I'll tell you that the flat rate for a block R&R is nowhere near what actual time is to rebuild one. Replacing the engine on that tractor is a 7-8 hour job where the rebuild was closer to 34 hours total labor (start to finish including removal from the tractor, etc). Plus machine shop cost (cleaning, bore/hone/etc). Just to give you an idea....if labor is $100/hr, that's $3400 worth of labor (just used as example of course). $100/hr is cheap for dealer labor rate nowadays.

kubotaRtv

Equipment
RTV-1140
Dec 29, 2023
USA
I would take it one step at a time, the original post does mention "BLOWING A LITTLE OIL OUT THE EXHAUST". In this case I would not assume that there is catastrophic failure with the piston or rings yet. Especially the nature of this engine being a well designed Japanese diesel engine. However I also noticed the original poster is no longer replying to this thread. This means if he was just going to change out the head gasket as suggested, we would not know the outcome of the repair unless he updates this thread. At least the video is proof of a similar Kubota diesel engine with similar issue and how the head gasket replacement solved the issue.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so..a little water in the oil, little oil out the exhaust... sure sounds like a head gasket R&R..

I'm still wondering WHY a laptop would switch to caps when battery getting low !

YOUNGDRETTI

Equipment
L3750DT G1800S w/ 3 PT.
May 17, 2022
UT
I don't have anything to add, just responding because I'm interested in the outcome and to make sure I am notified of updates on the thread.

Good luck!