Is ballast box needed for snow removal?

Hedgehog

Equipment
Bx2370
Apr 5, 2015
Fairhaven massachusetts
I have a bx2370 that I bought primarily for removal. I got the fel and the bx5455 snowblower. I also bought the ballast box but only attached it today for the first time. I have done some light loader work without the ballast. So, I don't really care for the extra length and clumsiness of having the ballast box on the back. Is it necessary to have a ballast box for the heady duty snowblower? Also, if I used the fel to stack some snow,miss it necessary? Of course I will use the ballast box if I ever do heavier loader work.many input would be appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a bx2370 that I bought primarily for removal. I got the fel and the bx5455 snowblower. I also bought the ballast box but only attached it today for the first time. I have done some light loader work without the ballast. So, I don't really care for the extra length and clumsiness of having the ballast box on the back. Is it necessary to have a ballast box for the heady duty snowblower? Also, if I used the fel to stack some snow,miss it necessary? Of course I will use the ballast box if I ever do heavier loader work.many input would be appreciated.

Ok - think of it this way, you have a good deal of weight behind the front end under normal circumstances - but when you place a snowblower (500 lbs) or you have a load of gravel in the bucket - ALL the weight is NOW transferred to the front end.....with a ballast box (400-600 lbs) you are now placing more load on the rear end, and better stability and grip. Next time you have a full load in the bucket, raise it about 2' off the ground and then move forward and then stop suddenly, you will feel the rocking effect - now do the same with the ballast box, still there a bit - but much more stable.:)

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I wouldn't be surprised if the ballast box would help with your traction. Snow is slippery. But it's easy enough to put on and take off, no sense in not trying it out both ways. See how you like it either way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to assume that you have R4s on the old gal so as far as traction you should be pretty OK. However one thing you haven't mentioned is if you have wheel weights or the tires are filled. In MHO the box would be a PIA though it will move the pivot point of the tractor a lot farther back, there's lots of people running around with set ups like yours, and not using the box, but then again they have filled rear wheels and wheel weights. I don't have a box on the back of my BX , but filled the wheels and weights on her and have never had a problem. Only problem I have is some times she aint big enough to do the things I ask, but she tries anyway

t33jetman

Equipment
BX25D, TLB, 1860 bal. bucket, Curtis Hard Cab
Aug 31, 2013
Wooster, Ohio
Load those tires , or , and add the balance box and you will not regret it.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is your driveway flat or steep, paved or stone? Loaded tires? Tire chains?

Used my BX2360 w/snowblower, loaded tires, chains 2 years without anything out back. Struggled on steep parts of the driveway and lawn. Do some lawn for the dog. ;)

Last year, carried boxblade and it helped, but it does stretch it out.:)

If everything was flat, I probably wouldn't bother, but would still have loaded tires and chains.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hedgehog

Equipment
Bx2370
Apr 5, 2015
Fairhaven massachusetts
I have turf tires. My driveway is asphalt and mainly flat, just a slight incline down to the street but not bad. I don't have wheel weights or loaded tires as of now.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would definitely load tires. You might get by with that.
Lot of snow?
I know parts of Massachusetts got hammered last year.
Since you will be pretty much scraping the driveway clean, I would try with just tire weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I also have a BX2370 with a BX5455 blower. My rear tires (turf tires) are loaded and I carry a rear blade all winter. A rear blade in combination with a snow blower works really well if you have snow removal around building. You can drag the snow away from the building and then blow it away. There are several options to keep the blade from damaging your blacktop. I use the blade backwards and cleared some of the lawn with no damage. With loaded turf tires and a cheap lite weight rear blade I have never needed chains and I push the blower up a 9 degree hill.