Introduction and BX25D 50 Hour Sanity Check?

Nuno81291

Equipment
BX25D
Sep 24, 2013
Waltham MA
Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike and I own a new BX25D that I just hit the 55 hour mark with. I am 22 and spend most of my time working on properties for my parents (to rent and flip) and let me tell you what a change this little machine has made for me! I have done a wide range of anything a homeowner/landscaper or HIC license holder might find themselves doing. The way this machine has enabled me to 1. undertake bigger jobs such as trenches, moving anything with a bucket vis-a-vis hand cart, as well as the thumb! I have moved logs that I could not get to budge by hand...set up my Kubota thumb (wish it was hydraulic:rolleyes:...) and I have dragged some surprisingly large trunks. Don't forget rocks, as well as material handling/loading onto my tandem trailer for transport..such as crushed rock, sand, pea stone, concrete bags, mulch, you name it! I could imagine a pair of pallet forks coming in the future. I want to use it for plowing/clearing snow in my small driveway this winter. The bottom line is, my dad and I have been kicking ourselves every time I take it out. Why didn't we get one sooner?

Anyways, as a 22 year old with an appreciation of doing all of the above by hand, I want to take good care of my machine. I have been in touch with my dealer who quoted me 400 for the 50 hour. I have maintained a gasoline riding mower for awhile, so being familiar, and handy I knew there was no way I would take it to the dealership unless performing it myself would void the warranty. The Service director agreed that if everything is done by the book and I have receipts/hour markings I should be all set. Now I have never serviced a diesel machine, nor hydraulics. However I have spent a solid 12+ hours scouring my manual, various forums/instructional sites as well as discussing various questions I had with the Service director whom had to relay questions to some technicians.

Now what I want is to spew my plan for the 50 hour service(my first "service" on my biggest tool yet) and hopefully have someone confirm that I am all set and shouldn't run into anything unexpected!

Firstly, I visited my closest dealer and bought new Kubota brand engine and transmission oil filters. I also sprang for the UDT-2. I bought a 65 mm cap style oil filter wrench because I heard this will help. I also got myself a torque wrench. For engine oil I went with Rotella T based on what I read online as well as running it by my dealer.

1. I will grease all fittings... needless to say, nothing new to see here except the one by the speed pedal under the floor mat. As well as greasing the battery terminals? Then I will remove the FEL for the first time...

2. I will run the kubota a bit to warm up the oil, wait a little for it to cool. drain, change the filter, plug, fill and check?

3. I am debating whether I try to creatively keep the majority of the UDT-2 currently in since I was reading that it is not required to change it this early, rather just cleaning the strainer by the BH. Obviously I will do this and I read that this can lead to a big loss of fluid, hence why I bought UDT-2. I did read about creative use of Tapered rubber corks/plugs to keep fluid in... Any advice here? Should I use the $50 of fluid by completely draining, and refilling with the new UDT-2 after cleaning the strainer? or should I try to fashion or find a plug (no luck yet) to keep the opening for the strainer from spilling my still good oil?

Aside from that... I will check the torque on the wheels and frame (per book/dealer instruction)

And viola I should be done correct?

I was also thinking about getting the Bro Tek front plate, and possibly the BXpanded rear/mid plate. I was also thinking piranha teeth for my FEL bucket. And possibly chains for the R4 tires in the winter for snow removal use.

Any concerns/comments are welcome! I know there are a few handy threads floating around but I just want someone more experienced than I to reassure me I am not losing my mind! :confused::rolleyes::D

Looking forward to many happy hours from this machine.

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
I'm at 47 hours on my BX25D and getting ready for the same thing. Never heard about the BH strainer though. And never found a zert under the floor mat for the pedal. However I did have some starting issues that I believe are related to that safety switch so I will be looking for it. You said you were taking off the FEL--just wondering if that was something related to the 50 hour service.

I'll follow this thread for tips. Just figuring out fuel, oil and grease specs is trouble enough. I didn't really need another critter to maintain but I've done a huge amount of work with this in just over a month. Suffice it to say there is less orange paint and lots of scuffs scratches and even some dents (on the buckets--mostly) since it arrived new and shiny.

I have had a Piranha tooth bar since the start and I think its great. Of course I don't have any experience not having one. I think you said you are looking to add the front protecter and just a couple days ago I was rolling a huge stump that came back on me. I could feel it hit the tractor and later looked for damage. It just scuffed the bottom of the guard but I was very glad to have it.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It sounds like you have done your homework and have everything under control. You will need a long socket wrench extension to make it really easy to remove the oil filter with that 65mm filter wrench.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OHhhhhhhhhh TAY yes do every your talking about
:)
,, HOWEVER when you pull the strainer out you will loose most all Hudt and it comes out pretty quick so if your going to keep it and run to the 200 hour mark, make sure you have a CLEAN bucket a CLEAN funnel and several paint filters to strain the oil through. You might be surprised at the gunk you will find in the screen and metal that will wind up in the paint filters,,, the oil will carry out a some stuff ,so don't get scared. With that done spin off the filter put the new one on and place the old one in the funnel with the paint filters and let drain,, Now clean the screen good replace ad PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not bust the little retaining bolt off,,,,, DONT ASK,,,, refill the oil and top it off after letting it run for a bit,, The grease fitting in under the tram petal on the right side lift the rubber matting up and look its hard to see sometimes. And I don't remember but Im thinking you might want to do the front axel at this time as well drain and refill,, gets all the stuff left over from all the machining cause some times they fail to clean things out completely. Torque the wheels,, yes by all means,,
And if you want its a good time to change engine oil as well. As far as greasing the battery terminals,, using a good grand silicon grease or even a white lithium grease will work.
Take your time, get to know your machine, and you will enjoy the thrill of knowing you did it your self and that it was done right.

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
Sorry for the newb question, where is this screen? Bx1800 btw.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
skeets,

you de man, nice site - I am hitting 30 hours on my 25D, wondering if I should do what Nuno is talking about, I am leaning towards going to the dealer and biting the bullet.....but with info like this.....great to know!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All I can say is I have a bud that is an Electrical engineer, and he needed oil, and filter, trannie and primary lubes changed and complained to me that the HD wanted almost 400 bucks and would have his bike a week:eek: I got the stuff and he came over very much doubtful that I could do it, 30 min and 2 cups of coffee later, he was on his way for less than 75 bucks,,,, Yes you can do it your self and do not let the dealer tell you that if YOU DO THE WORK your warranty will be voided,, it aint so,, take your time, think about what you are going to do then do it, and next thing ya know, your done and life is good :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OH one thing I might mention is if you have a bike lift, they work wonders for lifting the front or rear of the BX, when you get old fat and lazy like me every little bit helps,,lol

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
Thanks skeets for helping this newb. The screen was the only one I couldn't find, I had tried a google search. Lots of talk about cleaning it, not much for info on its location.

Ironhorse

Equipment
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
Just to be clear, is there a strainer AND a spin on filter for the hydraulic system on a new BX25D? The article on this site appears to say that the strainer was replaced by the filter.

And if there is only the filter does that lead to much lost fluid during a change?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Instead of trying to keep the correct size oil filter cap-style wrench on hand for a dozen different size filters on the place may I offer the following?

Get the three-pair set of ChannelLock 'oil filter' or 'PVC' pliers. The three different size pliers will fit any filter you find--from the smallest on ZTR hydraulic motors to truck filters---and up to 3- or 4-in PVC if you also plumb.

I've found EVERY filter on any brand new equipment in the last 15-years must be installed at factory with a dry gasket. I tried everything before discovering the ChannelLocks. In one size or another they've always gotten the filter off.

Knock-offs can be found at Harbor Freight and other discounters, but not in all three sizes last time I checked. The only time all sizes becomes important is in a restricted work space.

Please post back and advise your experiences so we may all learn.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I have a BX25. Did the 50 hour service at 50 hrs. The strainer is located on the lower left hand side of the hydraulic unit as you stand behind the tractor. Easier to find with the backhoe removed. I fashioned I stopper with a wooden dowel sanded to a taper and wound it with a cut up piece of rubber from an inner tube. I lost more fluid doing repeated checks to size the dowel. Total fluid lost was about 1.5 quarts. The thread on trans filter is accessed from under the tractor and is located on the front of the hyd unit. It was a little bit tough to get to and I was not sure how much fluid would come out. I removed the filter after cleaning the strainer but before adding fluid. Not much fluid lost removing the filter. I used all Kubota fluids and filters. Also don't forget to clean the air filter and the radiator slip in filter and shroud around the battery enclosure. Just take your time and think your steps through. You will be pleased with yourself for taking care your orange baby!

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Even if replacing the strainer and o-ring you may still want to plug the approx 1" hole that the hyd fluid will gush out while fiddling around with the strainer and o-ring. Just saying...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Right on there stevearino,, This is where a CLEAN BUCKET A CLEAN FUNNEL AND CLEAN PAINT STRAINERS come in really handy

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Thanks skeets, first time I pulled the plug all I could hear was cha-ching. I'm not a cheapie but those are words of wisdom to have clean catch containers and filters!

RoperAndy

Equipment
L3800HST, 5' Landpride cutter, 5' box blade, 6' landscape rake, Bush Hog PHD
Apr 2, 2013
Texas
Thanks for all the info. I am at 35 hours on my L3800 h. I will definitely look at this thread when the time comes! I may use my dealer, as he will only charge for supplies for the 50 hr maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone

Ironhorse

Equipment
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
Talked to the service guy at the dealer today and he said he does the strainer at 400 hours which is what the manual says too. I understand people here going the extra mile and wanting to be on the safe side but I'm thinking of waiting. I might even split the difference and do it at 200 hours.

Still, I appreciate all the great advice from you all.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
My manual says clean the strainer at 50 hrs and change fluid at 400. When I went to my dealer to buy fluid to top off one person at the counter did not know about the 50 hr cleaning and another said that Kubota changed their recommendations. My thoughts are to do what makes you feel comfortable within the parameters of the manufacturer's recommendations. I can say that there was a metal slurry around my strainer and I was glad I cleaned it. I lost abou 1.5 qts of fluid. Was it wasteful? Not for me, but I tend to to do things overkill so it all boils down to a personal feeling of satisfaction. Sorry to be so philosophical.