Internet in the shop

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Wifi extenders have relatively high overhead and you lose bandwidth. If you are expecting to stream video watching the game in the shop you may have issues. Cable connections will be more reliable and faster.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
That’s probably true, but it really doesn’t take much bandwidth to stream relatively speaking. Newer tvs and newer streamers are getting really efficient. For instance, I run multiple tvs, ipads, laptops etc off one home mobile internet connection.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Wifi extenders have relatively high overhead and you lose bandwidth. If you are expecting to stream video watching the game in the shop you may have issues. Cable connections will be more reliable and faster.
That is not something we've noticed here on our extender. No problems with streaming video or online video meetings. And that's with a wifi extender and Hughes net latency.

You are certainly correct theoretically - there is no way to relay a signal without some loss - but I don't think there is typically going to be enough loss in the relay alone to interfere much with that sort of activity. Signal strength where the extender is located, and signal strength from the extender where you are using it, could both play a role.

CaptainDave

Equipment
Kubota b8200 , magnatrac mt2000 , John Deere 140h3
Feb 15, 2021
Ennis Montana
Just a side note to this thread, I use my old iPhones as receivers from the server to play Pandora streaming music. No charge and works great!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
That is not something we've noticed here on our extender. No problems with streaming video or online video meetings. And that's with a wifi extender and Hughes net latency.
Great memories...Hughes data caps and 1000ms round trip ping times. Wifi point to point will seem like magic compared to dialup.

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Great memories...Hughes data caps and 1000ms round trip ping times. Wifi point to point will seem like magic compared to dialup.
Hughes' long ping is a lot of fun (!) when working on a remote terminal...

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
What you bought not only adapts twisted pair to coax but it's also a signal amp...I think.
A 200' run should be fine on twisted pair without amplification. If, so all you need would be a pair of baluns. Cat cable is a balanced signal due to the twisted pairs of wires. Coax is unbalanced. A BALUN adapts a BALanced signal to an UNbalanced one.

However, what you did is obviously working fine...run it!

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I run wire whenever possible. All my security cameras are wired. I hate this wireless crap. It's slow. It's unreliable. It's easily hacked, thus not secure.

I applaud your solution.

Reactions: 1 user

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I run wire whenever possible. All my security cameras are wired. I hate this wireless crap. It's slow. It's unreliable. It's easily hacked, thus not secure.

I applaud your solution.
I feel the same way about WiFi, I don't trust it at all.
I have used it several times so far, and it works fine.
Firefox on the Pi 400 w/4Gb of memory does a surprisingly good job.
I can even access the two NAS boxes on the network if I need something on them.
On a speed test, I'm getting 75-80Mbps.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I'm not really worried about being hacked, unless it's the cows next door doing it, and wifi has been reasonably* stable for me. It helps that I have no interference anywhere around.

But even so, I totally agree, if you want the fastest, most secure, and most reliable, hardwired is definitely the way to go. Even with all I said above I still plan to fully wire the house with Cat6.

From what I read looks like you're good up to about 100 yards for 1GB speeds.

* For most use, but it's definitely not ideal for streaming...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If your house is properly built for forced air HVAC, use the cold air returns to run the cabling. It's fast and easy to install,minimal drilling into walls.

copper will ALWAYS be faster than wireless.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
When I built my house in 1974, ethernet wasn't available, so I have run CAT 5 and 6 to most rooms. Drilling holes in all those floor joists sucks, but had to be done. Put wall jacks in the bedrooms, dining room, kitchen and living room. It's nice for internet access, smart TVs, network printers and NAS boxes. I even have my 3D printer with two Raspberry Pis with cameras attached so I can send print jobs from my computer and monitor the builds on the cameras.

Stephen Guye

Equipment
tilling, mowing, seeding
May 29, 2018
Loomis, CA
sites.google.com
How far does the wifi extender work and which model did you get. I need about 170 feet to get to my workshop.
As with a water pump that does not suck well, but pushes very well.
Put the wifi extender just before the signal gets to weak and install the extender there to "push" the wifi along.
Personally I have used these for point to point, for a good 1/2 mile (your distance may vary).
Possibly a "friend" may even sell internet to neighbors now.

Sguye - Broadcast Engineer
K7PBX