internal PTO shaft problems

smwwoody

Equipment
L345 DT
Mar 9, 2014
New Canton VA
Hi All this is my first post here.
I have an early 80's L345DT.

I was getting some excessive noise from the transmission / rear end area. I isolated it to the gear case that powers the front axle. I was in there about 10 years ago to replace the shift fork that engages the fwd. I took the bottom cover off and all looked good in there. next I dropped the whole gear case down and found my problem. the 2 gears on the PTO shaft were loose on the shaft like there was a bearing between them and the shaft which had failed and dropped out. also i could see remains of a bearing on the shaft to the rear of the gears where it went through the cast housing into the rear end. this shaft goes through the rear and straight to the PTO. my question is do i need to split the tractor to fix this or can i slide the shaft out the rear ?

here is a link to what the shaft looks like
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqN,!lcE-kGHsKlYBP21RSGJDg~~60_3.JPG

Thanks

Woody

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your going to have to split the tractor to get to the shaft and to remove it, it also has several other gears riding on that shaft too.

smwwoody

Equipment
L345 DT
Mar 9, 2014
New Canton VA
yea that is what i thought. can i split it at any section or is there one that i must take apart first. it has a joint at the back of the tranny then about an 8 inch long case then the rear end housing. if i can just take one appart i would like to split it between the rear end housing and the short case. i hope this makes sense.

Woody