Intermittent Starting Problem

placervillebob

Equipment
L2800, Loader, Backhoe, Box Scraper
Apr 6, 2013
Placerville, CA
I have an L2800 HST (2005 with 170 hours) that, until the last couple of days, starts every time. An intermittent problem in starting has developed. Once in a great while, when I turn the key, the 3 dash lights light but no cranking at all - no clicking - just silence (yes, the clutch is depressed). Key off and try again may result in starting or not but so far it eventually starts. The first time this happened, I checked the fuses – all were OK. Would you suspect a loose / corroded electrical connection to the starter? Bad starter? Bad Ignition Switch? A micro switch somewhere that may be bad?
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

placervillebob

Equipment
Apr 6, 2013
Placerville, CA
Thanks for the reply North Idaho Wolfman and please excues my ignorance but where is the Starter Solenoid? Is it inside the Starter assy? Can it be tested to see if it is bad? I have a parts breakdown of the Starter and can't locate the solenoid.
Thanks for your help
Bob

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry on that model the solenoid is really integrated right into the starter, to test leave key in off position, set brakes or better yet have another person sit in the seat and push in the clutch, disconnect the small wire that goes to the starter, take a short piece of wire and jump the small wires terminal on the starter to the large battery feed on the starter and it should crank, any hesitation and it's bad.

Another test is the next time it won't start, have someone tap the side of the starter with a small hammer or wrench while cranking and if it and if it takes off then it's a bad solenoid, replace the starter.
The cost of a starter for that model is less than $100 on EBay, so even the thought of it being bad is worth just changing it out.;)

Last edited:

placervillebob

Equipment
Apr 6, 2013
Placerville, CA
Thanks once again for the diagnosis and for the tests.
It looks like it is a pretty easy job to replace the starter.
I'm a little suprised a tractor with as few hours on it (170) as this one would have a starter going south.
I have yet to get a repair manual - is one available on CD for the L2800 family of tractors?
Thanks again
Bob

Michael Austin

Equipment
L4310
Oct 23, 2013
Spokane,Wa, USA
I have a later model L4310 Kubota, thx for the info on starting problem fix.

My L4310 tractor hydraulics went out, nothing; no 3 point, steering, Hydrostatic and bucket . No pressure at inlet or outlets on valve body or at pump. changed out filter as per dealership advice. still no hydraulics.
Change out hydraulic pump next??? what to look for?

Please help

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Michael,
First check engine oil and make sure that it's not overfilled, if it is then it's blown the rear seal on the pump and that repairable.
Pulling the pump isn't too hard of a job, but pumps are not cheap.

Horseshoezach

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Sep 20, 2013
Martinsburg wv
Sorry on that model the solenoid is really integrated right into the starter, to test leave key in off position, set brakes or better yet have another person sit in the seat and push in the clutch, disconnect the small wire that goes to the starter, take a short piece of wire and jump the small wires terminal on the starter to the large battery feed on the starter and it should crank, any hesitation and it's bad.

Another test is the next time it won't start, have someone tap the side of the starter with a small hammer or wrench while cranking and if it and if it takes off then it's a bad solenoid, replace the starter.
The cost of a starter for that model is less than $100 on EBay, so even the thought of it being bad is worth just changing it out.;)
hey wolfman should that small wire have power or is it a ground ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The small wire will have a keyed (crank position) + on it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have power to the dash (check engine light and such) and power to the lights, then you have a safety switch problem, one of them is not closing or it's malfunctioning.

If you get no dash lights or any head/tail lights, check the main fuse or fuse link by the starter.

Horseshoezach

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Sep 20, 2013
Martinsburg wv
If you have power to the dash (check engine light and such) and power to the lights, then you have a safety switch problem, one of them is not closing or it's malfunctioning.

If you get no dash lights or any head/tail lights, check the main fuse or fuse link by the starter.
sometime it has power to the dash lights and such sometimes no i checked the fuse i cant see the inside of the fuse but i checked the wire has power on both sides of the fuse

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would ask if you have power INTO the starter switch on the dash could be the switch is gonzo, I had pretty much the same thing with my old yellow tractor, all the leads going to the switch had corroded so badly that the staycon ends were gone,, I had to redo all the ends to go back on the switch, it worked BUT I should have replaced the switch as well a week later same problem but this time it was the switch.
Just a thought

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You really need to get the service manual for the wiring schematic.
You might be able to get to get one off Kubotabooks.com, you'll have to wait till the first of the month as he runs out of bandwidth and they suspend the site about halfway threw the month.

Other option is to chase the wire back threw the harness, depending on the model it could run into 1, 2 , or 3 safety switches.
Look around the PTO linkage and Clutch for the switches.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Doggone it wolfie I never thought about the safety circuits on the newer ones.:confused:

Horseshoezach

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Sep 20, 2013
Martinsburg wv
I would ask if you have power INTO the starter switch on the dash could be the switch is gonzo, I had pretty much the same thing with my old yellow tractor, all the leads going to the switch had corroded so badly that the staycon ends were gone,, I had to redo all the ends to go back on the switch, it worked BUT I should have replaced the switch as well a week later same problem but this time it was the switch.
Just a thought
the ignition switch is new

Horseshoezach

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Sep 20, 2013
Martinsburg wv
You really need to get the service manual for the wiring schematic.
You might be able to get to get one off Kubotabooks.com, you'll have to wait till the first of the month as he runs out of bandwidth and they suspend the site about halfway threw the month.

Other option is to chase the wire back threw the harness, depending on the model it could run into 1, 2 , or 3 safety switches.
Look around the PTO linkage and Clutch for the switches.
thanks it a L3010 and i dont think theres a safety on the clutch or it is bypassed haha but i will check them all tomorrow

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are three of them one on the shuttle lever, one on the clutch, and one on the pto control.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Some of the safety switches might only be on the run circuit

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk