Instrument Panel Cleaning

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
How do you keep your Instrument Cluster panel clean without scratching it?

Did a few searches and did find anything about how to keep the plastic Instrument screen clean.

Even l checked the Operators Manual

My Tractor is M5140HD

Thanks

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I just wipe mine down with a wet rag, plain and simple. If you got some crud on it you could use some all purpose cleaner, then follow up with windex or something to make it all purty again.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Only one chemical - water. Lots of water. Dirt on the panel is what scratches it.

No rubbing. Use your hand across the panel once it has been thoroughly rinsed.

Once it is scratched, I would follow procedures for "aircraft windshield" care.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You can try blowing any dust off with compressed air. Left on the plastic the dust will scratch it if wiped off. I think they use a fairly soft plastic.

rademamj1

Nov 30, 2019
Waco,Texas
I have a cab tractor, and so it gets dirty far less than an open station tractor. So only once a year I do this. Wash it down with a hose throughly, followed up with windex spray window cleaner. I wipe it down throughly with about 1/3 roll of paper towel, but it looks like brand new after this 2-step cleaning process.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Always wet it down B4 , it will soften any dirt - if you do get scratches, Mothers & Meguiars etc. have very good plastic cleaners & polishes that will clean it very good and make it look nice again - dampen a soft cloth or sponge , wringe it out good and put a few drops of polish on cloth , spread out even and keep rubbing, it will dry up but flip to clean area of cloth and begin to use less pressure, last is a new dry cloth to lightly buff - It can make plastic like new clarity , if it's really bad, go over a couple times B4 you go to the final details & buffing w/ clean dry , soft cloth ! Done many windows , dash boards , flashlight lens ! Etc. Good luck !

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
I ended up placing damp paper towels on the clear plastic Instrument panel cover, I just gently dabbed them on the panel then removed this helped to remove some of the thick dried dust (dirt) from the panel I repeated a few times then soak the paper towels in a soapy solution and rung it out so no water would run off repeated placing towel on screen to finish removing dirt. Finished up with a damp microsoft towel and dryed with a dry microsoft towel. Seems to have worked out ok.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I just wipe mine down with a wet rag, plain and simple. If you got some crud on it you could use some all purpose cleaner, then follow up with windex or something to make it all purty again.
NO WINDEX!

Most Windex products contain Ammonia! Which will quickly CRAZE and TURN FOGGY and RUIN your plastic instrument panel lenses. (It may also be a reason many automobile headlight lenses are ruined/foggy, because many people and car-washes use Windex on them.)

If you use any “window cleaner”product... BE CERTAIN it states to be safe for plastics and acrylics. Aircraft window cleaning products like “Prist” and “Meguires” etc are safe for plastics. Lemon Pledge furniture polish is used by many airplane owners (but not me) who claim it does a good job, but their primary purpose is to remove bugs, not common dirt.

Use a damp cloth and use only VERTICAL strokes to clean any lens. Why? Because vertical strokes will not cause circular scratches which will eventually cause GLARE in some lighting.

Hope this helps.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I use PLEXUS for all plastic. Its a spray cleaner, protectant and polish. I used it when I was working at a hockey rink on the plexiglass and lexan boards to remove fine scratches and puck marks. used it for face shield and protective goggles. . Fantastic product. Rather expensive but worth the price. Has many uses also. I use it around the house for things like counter tops and any laminate material. Water beads up on it like car wax.
Another great product is NOVUS. They have many levels of cleaners and polish. They are numbered 1,2,3 depending on the severity of the scratch from deep to fine

www.novuspolish.com

www.plexusplasticcleaner.com

Last edited:

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I use PLEXUS for all plastic. Its a spray cleaner, protectant and polish. I used it when I was working at a hockey rink on the plexiglass and lexan boards to remove fine scratches and puck marks. used it for face shield and protective goggles. . Fantastic product. Rather expensive but worth the price. Has many uses also. I use it around the house for things like counter tops and any laminate material. Water beads up on it like car wax.
Another great product is NOVUS. They have many levels of cleaners and polish. They are numbered 1,2,3 depending on the severity of the scratch from deep to fine

www.novuspolish.com

www.plexusplasticcleaner.com
+1 on the Plexus. Plexus is the best. It cleans and seals the surface. I use it on my polycarbonate motorcycle windshield, truck headlights, instrument panels. Also, you should use microfiber clothes to do the cleaning.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
ditto on the microfiber. Don't use paper towel it will scratch the heck out of it