Installing 4-point hitch (BX2810) on BX23S

Jim Doulgas

Equipment
BX23s with FEL, BH, forks, 3pt hitch, stump grinder
Jun 25, 2021
Manotick, Ontario, Canada
I have a 2001 BX23S and I just purchased a front mount snow blower for it (BX2816) which comes with the 4-point hitch (BX2810), the K-connect (BX2811) and I bought the hydraulic chute rotator (BX2818). The dealer can't do the install for 6 - 8 weeks so I am going to do this myself and I'm wondering how difficult it is to mount the brackets needed for the 4-point hitch. I haven't picked up the snow blower yet but I'm trying to find out involved it is to mount the brackets for the 4-point hitch, it seems the installation manual isn't available online. My dealer took $300 off my cost since I'm doing the install and he told me it typically takes his mechanics about 3 hours to do the full install and test the blower. However I've also heard it takes only 15 minutes to install the brackets, hitch and blower.
Does anyone have experience with mounting the brackets for the hitch?

Jim Doulgas

Equipment
Jun 25, 2021
I found a youtube video that showed assembly of the hitch (I didn't realize I would have to do that). It seems somewhat complicated so if anyone has bought the BX2810 and assembled it and has comments that would be appreciated too. Note, the video I watched didn't have reliable sound and ended about 1/4 of the way through the install. Video link is:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hay Jim, I have a manula, 7.3MB, tried sending you a msg,look in upper right of screen..the white envelope' ,if not there contact me use 'normal' emails..
Jay

Reactions: 1 user

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I did the whole assembly for the snowblower and hitch on my LX2610 and if I remember correctly it took about 6 hours. This was from unloading from the trailer to being installed on the tractor(including removing loader). Also breaking down the pallets, saving the boards, straightening the nails, and blue loc-tite on every bolt. Also did fluid-film on the whole thing and torqued every bolt to specs. I had the hydraulic rotation and deflection so that added some time.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Doulgas

Equipment
Jun 25, 2021
I did the whole assembly for the snowblower and hitch on my LX2610 and if I remember correctly it took about 6 hours. This was from unloading from the trailer to being installed on the tractor(including removing loader). Also breaking down the pallets, saving the boards, straightening the nails, and blue loc-tite on every bolt. Also did fluid-film on the whole thing and torqued every bolt to specs. I had the hydraulic rotation and deflection so that added some time.
CThomas, did you have to assemble the 4 point hitch and a k-connect? I didn't realize each of these would require assembly but so long as the instructions are good I should be OK doing it.

Jim Doulgas

Equipment
Jun 25, 2021
GreensvilleJay, thanks for sending me the installation manual. It does include the assembly for the K-connect too so that is helpful.
The assemblies look a little more complicated than I expected but after reading the manual I think I should be OK doing it. I will send a few pics and updates after to provide some comments that may be helpful to others. I plan to do this in the next two weeks.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Yes, I got 3 separate pallets of pieces(one of each). Mine was a little more difficult due to having the backhoe subframe. I mean difficult as the instructions didn't include backhoe possibility and had to get longer bolts for a couple holes. Also, I did not have a helping hand as this would have made it easier.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have done the installation and if it is taking 3 hours, you are drinking a lot of coffee. The instructions are very clear and easy. I have done it twice, once on a friend's tractor and once on my own. On my tractor, there was some misalignment of some of the hardware, so I had to loosen a few of the frame bolts, and when the frame relaxed, the hitch bolts went into their respective holes without any issue.

Jim Doulgas

Equipment
Jun 25, 2021
I picked up the blower and hitch/connect and started the assembly yesterday. I think it will take me about 6 hours total to do this and then I'll put the chute on the blower and add the hydraulics for it.
A few points on the hitch/connect assembly are:

1. There is a lot of hardware/fasteners in the hitch and k-connect boxes. I laid all the hardware out keeping the hitch hardware separate from the k-connect hardware (I used separate tables) and this really helped so I knew I was using the right bolts, bushings, etc.

2. Some of the bushings/pivot bushings are difficult to fit in the holes on the frame and also the plastic bushings that fit into the larger bushings are very tight . I used a dremmel tool with the sander accessory to sand out the holes (remove paint I assume) and that allowed the bushings to go in easier. (I saw Ryan Lynch do something similar in his posts).

3. The grease fitting for the outer (rear) bearing is very hard to get the grease gun on. The manual says to ensure the fittings for both bearings are pointing down which I did. The front nipple is fine to get the grease gun on but for the rear bearing the metal frame sticks out about 1/8" along the bottom where the nipple is and you can't get the grease gun straight on to make the connection. I plan to use a die grinder to shave off a bit of the edge.
1700227663286.png

4. On the connection support for the coupler, there is a cable attached to the top right bolt and to the bearing. The manual doesn't say anything about this cable so I'm not sure if I should leave it there. If anyone knows please let me know.
1700227709637.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: #3 Zerk. Maybe replace the straight Zerk with a 45* version ??
re: #4 cable. Maybe to prevent bearing case from spinning ?

Reactions: 1 users

Jim Doulgas

Equipment
Jun 25, 2021
I finished the assembly over the weekend. It probably took me 12 hours to do everything but I took a lot of time ensuring I was following the instructions properly as some diagrams were hard to follow for specific connections, etc. I also did some research on connecting the hydraulic fittings to be sure I was proper torques and using sealant (teflon tape) when I should.
The blower runs well so it is a good feeling for me to have done this as I'm not a mechanic and have never worked on hydraulics.

Below I added a couple more suggestions that may be helpful for others who do their own assembly.

1. The holes on the front adapter (that is attached to the tractor frame) didn't perfectly align with the holes on the hitch so the 14" pin used when installing the hitch wouldn't go through. It turned out the holes on the front adapter didn't line up even without trying to install the hitch to it. I suggest before mounting the adapter to the tractor check if the 14" pin slides through the holes. If not, it is much easier to sand/grind them out before the adapter is on the tractor.

2. The breather on the top of the gear box on the blower doesn't seem to have a release valve that moves. I had seen a video from Ryan Lynch where he does a PDI on a blower and checks the oil in the gear box and in doing so he scratched off some of the Kubota powder coated paint over the breather to free it up so he could pull it up to let the oil out of the hole where you check the level plug is. On my gear box the breather looks like a bolt/nut so I couldn't 'release' it . I'm not sure why and the manual says the breather is a "Breather 1/8" NPT, 5 PSI, PTD". I looked at another blower the same as mine and it had the same set up as mine.

3. When starting the blower it is quite loud and sounded like something was rubbing. This was a concern so I stopped by the dealer Monday to get some grease and mentioned this and the sales guy from the dealer started a tractor with a blower on it and engaged the blower and it sounded the same although not quite as much rubbing noise (the blower had an older gear box though, possibly a chain driven one). My neighbor has the BX2816 on his BX tractor so yesterday he started his and it sounded the exact same as mine so I'm sure my install is fine. I think maybe the fan blades or chain drive is just loud when you engage the blower.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
neighbour brought his over to check oil level
all 3 'npt' plugs and breather are LOCKTITED !!!
he could only get the breather off ( another post here shows the PITA another had )
the breathe is spring loaded, when PSI air builds up it'll open and 'poof' some hot,moist air out,then close.
I suspect the breather is covered in powder coat 'paint'.
You may want to spend the time now to heat(to soften the LOCKTITE) and remove the plugs otherwise you're in for a world of hurt.
Neighbour gave up( doesn't have oxy/act torch. I'm already looking forward to when I HAVE to get them off.....sigh.