Input on grapple mod

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK you guys know I have the LP grapple and I like it but as with anything there is always room for a mod.
So with that in mind, we know that gathering brush limbs ect. they sometimes push trough the openings in the grapple, getting very close to a very expencive radiator! So I was contemplating expanded metal maybe 1/2 inch opening, welded to the grapple closing these opening off on the top and bottom jaws and protecting the hoses and other things. I know I am not conveying my thought very clearly, but if you look at a grapple open and closed you will understand what I am thinking,,,, So input yea or nay and reasons.

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I don't see why it would not work... I would think that a series of tack welds would hold it fine.
Also it's unlikely anything thicker than 16 or 14 gauge steel would be needed. If it's like my EA grapple it's only about 8-9" between the tines.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Or radiator protection on the grill guard
I’m with WFM. He’s a great fabricator that deserves heed.

Expanded metal or anything else on the grapple could still pop out and hit the radiator.

Maybe make the grill guard bulletproof and be damned what pops out of the grapple?!?

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I think it's a worthwhile mod for your grapple. I have a Landpride SGC0660, which I happened to have used today for 3 hours moving dead Scot pines. One of the things that a grill guard would not help with but this mod would, is when branches poke thru and try and unlatch the SSQA levers, it has happened to me twice now, and yes I know there are mods to prevent this from happening.

The other thing that happens quite often is branches will poke thru, then get hung up when opening the jaws to place on a brush pile preventing the tree from falling free. Both of these issues are not a huge deal but I see no reason not to add expanded metal and make the operating experience that much more pleasant.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, you could experiment by using some sheet metal (like discarded duct work) tied where you think it would do the most good. Then improve in that!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I suspect what you’re contemplating would help. But I don’t know if it’d keep all of it from poking through the upper/lower jaw “hinge points” (not really a hinge, since there just one on each end).

Since your stated primary concern is the radiator, I’d start with a grill guard, if you don’t already have one. There are many threads on OTT discussing home brew versions as well as commercial versions. Heck I’ve even showed mine off at me or two.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It sounds like it would work to me.

It's seems like it would be easy to fab up and your not out a lot of time or money if it doesn't.

I have had sticks trip my SSQA arms and man that's annoying.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I like the idea. Keep the openings on the small side so things won’t get stuck in them. I would recommend using the flattened style expanded in 1/2 x 13 size.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I’d say go with a grill guard. Your radiator/front end would be protected no matter what attachment you have on your loader. That’s what I did.
IMG_8668.jpeg

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I’d say go with a grill guard. Your radiator/front end would be protected no matter what attachment you have on your loader. That’s what I did. View attachment 113326
I also like a grill guard for "general purpose" protection, but the whole "not unlocking my SSQA arms" thing is kinda nice.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My two cents…something is better than nothing. Not much harm in trying the idea. To the OP…Which model is it this for? If thinking for BX…I don’t remember how the underside and front end on my BX was, but I’d check if also need think about a skid plate or chin guard. Depending on your uses may need a combination? I do know that I had a stick pop up through bottom of the chin on MX pushing battery into radiator…I was going in reverse…—it can happen in both directions….in my failure, a brush guard would not have helped…I need a chin guard and found out that KTAC is nice to have when oopsies happen.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I saw this a few years ago at a local dealer...nothing I'd use more the once every ten yrs ...but I'd still like to own one !

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
OK you guys know I have the LP grapple and I like it but as with anything there is always room for a mod.
So with that in mind, we know that gathering brush limbs ect. they sometimes push trough the openings in the grapple, getting very close to a very expencive radiator! So I was contemplating expanded metal maybe 1/2 inch opening, welded to the grapple closing these opening off on the top and bottom jaws and protecting the hoses and other things. I know I am not conveying my thought very clearly, but if you look at a grapple open and closed you will understand what I am thinking,,,, So input yea or nay and reasons.
You got my vote. Anything to alleviate a potential issue is worthy. I say do it.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I also like a grill guard for "general purpose" protection, but the whole "not unlocking my SSQA arms" thing is kinda nice.
Ever hear of a safety cable and a snap clip? Integrate one (or a lynch pin) to each SSQA Lever. Or run a rod from lever-to-lever with lynch pins.

Me and my ideas. Now I'm going to do this!!

Solve = +1
Resolve = +1 😁

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
One of you fellows here gave me the idea of drilling a hole in each SSQA lever and using a bungee to hold the levers down. You can get it really tight with a bungee. Of course, a grill guard is a a good idea too, even without the grapple.
20200907_175352 - Copy.jpg
20200518_163945.jpg