Injector bleeding problem

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
Hi all,

I changed the fuel filter on my L3450 4 cylinder a couple of days ago and today I used the tractor for about 45 minutes with zero issues. I turned it off to grab a glass of iced tea and when I came back 10 minutes later it would start for a few seconds and shut off.
The issue 'felt' like air intrusion so I bled the lines at the injectors. I did get some air at each of the back three.

The number 1 injector line isn't getting any fuel at all to speak of. I can completely take the line off while the engine is running and nothing comes out but maybe a drip or two.
I took a video of the issue HERE. (Sorry for bad quality, it's just an iPhone video)

I have heard people talk about a bleeder screw on the injection pump but I can't find one and the owners manual doesn't show anything about one.

Thanks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT, Spikes.
I changed the fuel filter on our Bobcat 743, which has a kubota engine. I expected to have issues starting afterwards, but it fired up in short order. I ran it for a few minutes, and it did fine. I went to tidy up a manure pile on the other side of our creek, and as I went through the fording, it quit. Right in the middle. Long story short, I had to bleed the injectors for a while to purge all the air- longer than I expected to. Once I did that, it was fine. Normally, I would assume that you didn't purge all the air out of the system, but to run it for 45 minutes, and then have this issue, I would say that you may have an unrelated issue, and it just appears to be coinciding with the filter change.

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
Thanks, hodge.

I bled all the lines for quite some time once the engine started again. The funny thing is, the engine sounds just like it always has (in the few months I have owned the tractor) so I'm not sure that this cylinder has ever worked for me.
I did run the tractor out of diesel a few weeks back and i didn't notice an issue with the front injector line then, so it may just be that there is air in the high pressure pump and it can't even generate enough pressure to clear the open line.
Seems unlikely given that the primary pump is already supplying fuel under low pressure and the other three lines are getting plenty of pressure to sustain the engine.

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
Well, I just got in from work, cracked the line and started the engine and it bled straight away. I guess it just wanted to sit for a while.
Thanks for the help, guys.