Increased anti-spam measures now in effect

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Evening folks, Mr. K here.

The site is now attracting almost 30,000 different people each month - an amount that astounds Vic and I. Along with that however is the ever increasing amount of spam posts and fake accounts used to:
1) post spammy threads or
2) PM, email and harass other, real, registered users

What we are doing to combat this is to place all new accounts into a temporary/holding account status until certain conditions are met. Newly registered users under the temporary account status will not be able to perform some actions that are hot spots for spam bots, things like:
1) sending unlimited PMs
2) editing their signature to include links to spammy sites
3) emailing other registered users

This temporary status is lifted once a variety of conditions are met - conditions that humans typically do already - like search the forum, write a post, log in a few times, read threads. Spam bots have very typical behavior which differ. Bots typically create an account and then in a short period of time start firing off messages without stopping to read posts, write posts, search, etc. They would be blocked under this new system.

If you notice anything funny with your account in the next couple of days, do let me know. Everyone who has been on the site for more than a few days should have full access to the site as before and not be under temporary status.

That's all for now! Keep posting and keep it orange! :D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Seems like this issue is geting way out of control here lately! I've been seeing alot of new spam in the Off Topic section lately.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yeah this forum is actually fairly clean and the mods always have it cleaned up within 24 hours. Just don't reply to them and move on. I read the forums by clicking the todays posts link and once you know the spammers name it's easy just to avoid all the posts he replied to til it's been fixed.

Larry

Apr 24, 2009
Mokena IL
Hi i have been on this site for a while mostly reading with out logging in
im an admin for another v-buleitin site and use a anit spam called
GlowHost - Spam-O-Matic and see real good results Larry L175 owner

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I second that! We're can I buy tickets to that show or hell how can I lend a hand and help build!?

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
In
a land
far far away
the great defenders
of OTT Mr. K & Svc Dep Vic
Does battle with the evil spammers
Will the 3cyl X wing Kubota be powerful enough?
May the force be with the Warriors of OTT

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know Cabu,,after reading that I feel the need for MUNCHIESSSSSSS