In the market for a High Perf Cooler : YETI , Coleman, RTIC , Grizzly...???

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Does anyone have any input on a High performance cooler...?
There are just so many brands out there now.
I'm not going to spend the money on a Yeti, but I will go $100 - $125ish for a decent one.
I'm in the market for a 28 to 35 quart cooler, one that has a top handle that I can carry with one hand.
Thanks.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I have several rotomolded Canyon coolers that I use for multi day trips. In my opinion the canyon (rotomolded) works better than the normal blowmolded type of cooler. Across the upper end I think you need to find a comparison test for current ones with heat scanning…those used to be published and sort of were a level set of ice retention (maybe outdoor gear lab might have something of a comparison) Neither of the coolers I have meet your criteria about the top handle. The smaller one has a shoulder strap…it works great. In general rotomoldeed I think work better…I am not sure I can measure better other than use less ice….my main use is when I am traveling and I don’t want to stop to drain and add ice on multi day trips (hunting/camping/fishing). I am not sure it matters so much on a short trip though?

I am not sure it helps or not , but you could do a search on ‘cooler comparison chart’….there is a pretty good one that will come up in a search.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don’t have any of the fancy coolers, but saw Yeti coolers at Dick’s Sporting Goods a while back.

People swear by them, but the prices were shocking! I’d never buy one either.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I have an older igloo extream chest cooler. Holds ice for days setting in the sun. Have a little rtic can hold 20 cans or so. It works ok, 2 days tops before you need ro replenish the ice. I'm sure it would be longer if we didn't use it exclusively for drinks. My parents have a big yeti chest Cooler on the boat. It lives on the boat and often has held ice all week, with plenty to spare. it spends its entire life outdoors. It was very expensive,but it's years old by now. Very good cooler.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Look at Polaris. They have some of their Polaris branded coolers, as good quality as Yeti or any of the other big names, and a little less expensive--or they were the last time I looked at them.

I got one when I got my Polaris gold certification, deeply discounted using the Polaris point system; those points can be used to buy things like accessories. They don't use the points to discount Rangers and Rzrs and Generals and ATV's, just accessories like T-shirts, cups, etc.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I had been looking/wishing for a long time, but the price kept scaring me off.
Then I found a new 22qt Canyon, (still had all the stickers on it) at an estate sale for $25.
List $125. :D
My only complaint is that it is heavy, but it's insulating properties are awesome.
I use those hard plastic blue ice things, and more than once I have found my drinks (pop, ice tea, H2O) starting to get ice in them. :eek:
I'm sold, but not sure I will buy a big one, probably couldn't lift it with anything in it.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The Cabelas coolers are every bit as good as the yeti, but about $100 cheaper.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have a couple different coolers. My girlfriend bought me a yeti a couple yrs ago. The only problem with it is the weight. And thats empty. Put ice and beverages in it and go get the dolly to wheel it around.

Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Walmarts cheap Ozark molded coolers compete with the best of them when I was researching a few years back. Ended up buying a clearance off brand one on Amazon instead and it held our food and drinks cool for a 3-4 day camping trip. I don't think you can go writing with any of them tbh.

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
We have a 45 qt Ozark Trail rotomold from Walmart that we bought a few years instead of Yeti. Works pretty well but real heavy.
A couple months ago bought a Treeline brand rotomold 20 qt from Tractor Supply for $99. Unless we're cooling a lot, we use it more because it only takes one person to carry it.

Yeti prices are insane.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
This is from 2019 but it might give you a way to go,, I had an Engle's on the boat, was big and kept ice cold for days, I would think the smaller's ones would do as well.
It went for a walk one day after I docked and went to get the truck and trailer,,, I asked around and nobody saw nuttin, then I got a Gott, it worked not as well but it worked

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
We use our coolers for multi-day river trips. It stays in the hot sun all day . We bought an Engel after researching and have been very happy with it.
I made a 2 layer reflectix cover and that added another day of keeping ice solid.
I would recommend the Engel coolers, but don't know if they have a unit that meets your needs.
On another note--I took an old Coleman cooler and drilled 1/4" holes all around the insides-cooler and top. I used about 1/2 can of expanding foam and filled the cavities. Once it dried, I cut off the excess foam and sealed the holes with a hot glue gun. It vastly improved the insulation and usefulness of that old cooler.
coolers are expensive, but they will last a long time.
Good luck
Vann

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
We use our coolers for multi-day river trips. It stays in the hot sun all day . We bought an Engel after researching and have been very happy with it.
I made a 2 layer reflectix cover and that added another day of keeping ice solid.
I would recommend the Engel coolers, but don't know if they have a unit that meets your needs.
On another note--I took an old Coleman cooler and drilled 1/4" holes all around the insides-cooler and top. I used about 1/2 can of expanding foam and filled the cavities. Once it dried, I cut off the excess foam and sealed the holes with a hot glue gun. It vastly improved the insulation and usefulness of that old cooler.
coolers are expensive, but they will last a long time.
Good luck
Vann
That reflective cover is a great idea, didn't think about that. Do you have photos of your setup? How did you attach the reflective material to the cooler?

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
I made the cover using 2 layers of reflectix and the special tape that is made for reflectix. I got both at Lowe's. I think I used 2 rolls of reflectix and still have some tape left from the original roll.
I wrapped the reflectix around the base of the cooler
reflectix cooler baseIMG_0659.JPG

I made a separate top that overlaps the bottom
Reflectix cooler top endIMG_0662.JPG

I have used it for 3 years and it is amazingly sturdy. I have made several small tear repairs tears using the same tape.
Reflectox cooler Engel inside.JPG

Drop the cooler into the base, then put the top on
reflectix cooler frontIMG_0666.JPG

remember to leave room for the handles
Reflectix coolerIMG_0665.JPG

If we can get block ice, it will last for 5-6 days in the sun.
Good luck
Vann

• Love