Im buying my first tractor. I want a M5 111 with 4 wheel drive

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Also, I saw you had some struggle with a sale person not wanting to make a commission. Shop them around. Dealers will ship a ways for a delivery fee and you can always find a hauler to ship for you…a friend with a truck and trailer might even help you if you cover some fuel if you don’t have yourself…I have two properties 4 hours away and a dealer at each…however I bought at furthest away as huge difference in price in the total package…enough to buy a new trailer. Anyway it might be worth looking a little further to get a price and cooperation if necessary. Personally I would not buy off someone who doesn’t treat me right…I can’t imagine they would help me after the sale. A good dealer will work with you even if a bit of a haul…mine offers free delivery but they would not go beyond 2 hrs for that…that’s their limit and then they charge. They arrange freight out of state that they ship to people site unseen online. (At least they did before the world went to shit). It’s the same for pick ups too…they have offered to meet me half way when it’s a 4 hr haul…2 hr is still their limit included and then cough up the cash beyond that.

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
By the way, I am not familiar with the current offers out there but I have seen in some threads and a quick search there is some Equine Membership program with Kubota if you choose orange. If you have horses (or even an interest)it might be worth checking to see what the discounts are and if applicable with whatever discounts/financing available. Just a thought. I am sure there are some on here that took advantage so maybe they would chime in? Good luck.
Anyone can join the cutting horse association to get the 20% discount. Only downside is you can’t get the 0% financing and you’ll wind up with the standard rate, which last I saw was over 7% on a 5 year note. If you’re paying cash, it’s a no brainer.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I would only get something as big as M5 if you need:

1. Massive weight/power for a large plow (which you should not for only 70 ish acres)
2. Baling hay (which you have not indicated is important)
3. You want to pull a 15 ft batwing or a large mower (again 70 acres you could get by with a 10 or 12 ft option with 70HP Geared machine)

So in summary I think its too much machine. Look at M7060 for geared or MX6000 For hydrostatic. Maybe M4-071?

Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Actually been thinking about this more and more. You should be buying/looking at a skid loader and a tractor. The skid loader is way more maneuverable then the tractor and capable of lifting much more weight then a similar sized tractor. I will maintain a 60-75hp tractor will suit all your field needs and then some.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would only get something as big as M5 if you need:

1. Massive weight/power for a large plow (which you should not for only 70 ish acres)
2. Baling hay (which you have not indicated is important)
3. You want to pull a 15 ft batwing or a large mower (again 70 acres you could get by with a 10 or 12 ft option with 70HP Geared machine)

So in summary I think its too much machine. Look at M7060 for geared or MX6000 For hydrostatic. Maybe M4-071?
It's not too much machine if you can afford it! :LOL: I wonder how many people have bought a tractor and decided it was too much and then downsized. Most here, and me included seem to move up a few sizes.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Actually been thinking about this more and more. You should be buying/looking at a skid loader and a tractor. The skid loader is way more maneuverable then the tractor and capable of lifting much more weight then a similar sized tractor. I will maintain a 60-75hp tractor will suit all your field needs and then some.
For farming applications I would think that a telehandler would be even better than a skid steer/loader. The telescoping boom is a nice thing to have when moving stuff around.

That would be a nice combination. An M7060 or M4-071 with a CAT or JCB telehandler.

Last edited:

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
For farming applications I would think that a telehandler would be even better than a skid steer/loader. The telescoping boom is a nice thing to have when moving stuff around.
Yes they are very nice, but the lift capacity diminishes with height and reach. We use them a lot here at work amd my uncle has one on the farm. He still uses the skid loaders most of the time. The problem we run into is it the barn. Too darn big to turn around when it gets full. Very handy out in the field. May be a good option for the op they can be had at fairly decent prices for used in good shape equipment.
We still need to know what size of ground engaging equipment she's going to be using to give honest opinions on the tractor size though.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes they are very nice, but the lift capacity diminishes with height and reach. We use them a lot here at work amd my uncle has one on the farm. He still uses the skid loaders most of the time. The problem we run into is it the barn. Too darn big to turn around when it gets full. Very handy out in the field. May be a good option for the op they can be had at fairly decent prices for used in good shape equipment.
We still need to know what size of ground engaging equipment she's going to be using to give honest opinions on the tractor size though.
Telehandlers seem to be popular on farms in the UK. They're really useful for turning cars over that are parked illegally. Good riddance to that wanker!

• Haha

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Thats a good bit smaller then what ive ever seen or used, good on the farmer. Don't need to take any crap from those drunks!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thats a good bit smaller then what ive ever seen or used, good on the farmer. Don't need to take any crap from those drunks!
Yeah, they have a lot of smaller models in the UK that seem to do a great job moving bales, mucking out sheds, unloading trucks, etc.

Manitou is a popular manufacturer of telehandlers.

• Love

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
I have two small farms near each other. One is 55 acres the other is 25 acres. I believe that a M5 111 4wd will suit my needs. Things get confusing when I start trying to decide between the 8, 12, and 24 Hydrolic shuttle, which tires I need, not to mention the hydrolics, hitch, drawbar, transmission or axel. Im going to use the tractor to do horse stuff, keep the fields mowed (I have a bush hog. I can tow it behind my ATV), move hay bales that weigh over 1000 pounds, drag the arena, spread manure, drill post holes, move tons of horse chow around, plow and seed fields.
One sales person has been less than helpful. He keeps telling me to get my husband involved. My area is as flat marines bed sheet. It has sand under a layer of blue clay.

The Kubota M5 series of tractors are a considerable step up from the M4 or M7060 tractors. If money isn't a concern, the 24 speed transmission is a good option, it gives you electric control of the 4WD engagement, much handier than the manual version on the 8 and 12 speed machines. If you are going to travel on paved roads, the radial tires are a good choice, they just don't show wear when used on the highway, bias ply tires don't like paved roads. I have some experience with Kubota machines, I had an M7060 but replaced it with an M5-091 with the 12 speed transmission. In hind sight, I would have ordered an M5-111 with the 24 speed.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The Kubota M5 series of tractors are a considerable step up from the M4 or M7060 tractors. If money isn't a concern, the 24 speed transmission is a good option, it gives you electric control of the 4WD engagement, much handier than the manual version on the 8 and 12 speed machines. If you are going to travel on paved roads, the radial tires are a good choice, they just don't show wear when used on the highway, bias ply tires don't like paved roads. I have some experience with Kubota machines, I had an M7060 but replaced it with an M5-091 with the 12 speed transmission. In hind sight, I would have ordered an M5-111 with the 24 speed.
Very nice line up you have…what are the models of the open station machines that are hiding down the line there?