Im buying my first tractor. I want a M5 111 with 4 wheel drive

Kaede

Jun 2, 2022
South East NC
I have two small farms near each other. One is 55 acres the other is 25 acres. I believe that a M5 111 4wd will suit my needs. Things get confusing when I start trying to decide between the 8, 12, and 24 Hydrolic shuttle, which tires I need, not to mention the hydrolics, hitch, drawbar, transmission or axel. Im going to use the tractor to do horse stuff, keep the fields mowed (I have a bush hog. I can tow it behind my ATV), move hay bales that weigh over 1000 pounds, drag the arena, spread manure, drill post holes, move tons of horse chow around, plow and seed fields.
One sales person has been less than helpful. He keeps telling me to get my husband involved. My area is as flat marines bed sheet. It has sand under a layer of blue clay.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. Is your arena under roof? Have you driven a similar sized tractor inside? My barns get really small really fast with my tractors when trying to manuaever them with an implement on. Maybe ask the dealer to demo one if planning to use indoors with whatever implement you plan to pull. If you know anyone with similar size arena and uses they may have some helpful thoughts. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I can't help with M5 info but I would find a different salesperson and/or dealer. Maybe contact the manager to set up an appointment with someone helpful. Mine has been very helpful with decision making.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
With the "service" you were getting, I'd recommend reaching out to the manager or going somewhere that wants your business. Have you thought about two tractors? One for indoor work and in tight spaces and the other for the heavier chores?

Kaede

Jun 2, 2022
South East NC
Good day. Is your arena under roof? Have you driven a similar sized tractor inside? My barns get really small really fast with my tractors when trying to manuaever them with an implement on. Maybe ask the dealer to demo one if planning to use indoors with whatever implement you plan to pull. If you know anyone with similar size arena and uses they may have some helpful thoughts. Good luck. Keep us posted.
The arena is not inside. it covers about two acres. I do combined driving.

Reactions: 1 user

Kaede

Jun 2, 2022
South East NC
With the "service" you were getting, I'd recommend reaching out to the manager or going somewhere that wants your business. Have you thought about two tractors? One for indoor work and in tight spaces and the other for the heavier chores?
Nothing is indoors. I do combined driving. the arena is about two acres. I use it as a dry lot when not using it for training.

Kaede

Jun 2, 2022
South East NC
Nothing indoors. Unfortunately, they are the only Kubota dealer (actually the only tractor dealer I trust) within 50 miles.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Why such a high hp tractor? Do you have pto powered equipment that needs that kind of power, large ground engaging equipment? For what your describing a 60-75hp tractor would be more like it. I'm a big fan of lots of gears, so id go for the 24x24 trans. As many rear remotes as you can option. If yoir doing field work r1/agg tires. Although they will be rough on the grass, they have the best traction out of all the options. R14s would be my next suggestion. I love them and have ran several different sized tractors with them on. They are deffinatly not a true dirt tire. But don't tear the yard up like agg tires.
I would get the tires loaded as well. Some sort of weight box for the 3 point when doing fel work.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
i agree mostly with Dieseldonato. I used to volunteer at a horse rescue. It had an M7040 (new model would be an M7060). We used it to unload and stack round bales, unload pallets of bagged feed, mow (15 acres or so) with a 7' brush hog, level up with a box blade. It had R1 tires and that's what I'd recommend, especially since you mentioned plowing. It had the 8/8 hydraulic shuttle which was plenty for what we used it for. I think 12/12 would be plenty even with the plowing.

Definitely get a SSQA loader.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
i agree mostly with Dieseldonato. I used to volunteer at a horse rescue. It had an M7040 (new model would be an M7060). We used it to unload and stack round bales, unload pallets of bagged feed, mow (15 acres or so) with a 7' brush hog, level up with a box blade. It had R1 tires and that's what I'd recommend, especially since you mentioned plowing. It had the 8/8 hydraulic shuttle which was plenty for what we used it for. I think 12/12 would be plenty even with the plowing.

Definitely get a SSQA loader.
Only reason I suggest more gears is I road bank mowed and never had enough gars with an 8x8 trans. Demoed a deere with the 24x24 and it was great.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The arena is not inside. it covers about two acres. I do combined driving.
Well if not indoors and you have lots of room buy more than you think you need so you only buy once….it may be tough though as you have some very different tasks…in one hand a loader may be really helpful for a lot of the lifting and pallets, but if in the field then a mid size tractor might be handy….guess it sort of depends on how big an implement and which ones you want to pull…or how quickly you want to get the work done.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Kaede, it's going to be easy to get to $100k with an M5-111 if you go with the cab model and choose most of the nice options. An M5 would do all of the things you mention with some caveats as @rc51stierhoff has mentioned, particularly how big and how fast. The question might be whether or not you could do all of those things without spending as much i.e. buying an M7060 or M4 or the smaller M5.

If you're not worried about the cost then an M5 with the F24/R24 transmission, R1 Ag tires and any options that you might like would be an awesome tractor that would do all that you need. It can be overwhelming when you're faced with lots of options and configurations but it's not that complicated. If you're not sure about an option, ask away and we'll help you figure out what it is and whether you need it.

Of course, it's not our money and we drink Kubota Kool-Aid so you might not get purely objective advice but a lot of it is based on real-world experience.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have two small farms near each other. One is 55 acres the other is 25 acres. I believe that a M5 111 4wd will suit my needs. Things get confusing when I start trying to decide between the 8, 12, and 24 Hydrolic shuttle, which tires I need, not to mention the hydrolics, hitch, drawbar, transmission or axel. Im going to use the tractor to do horse stuff, keep the fields mowed (I have a bush hog. I can tow it behind my ATV), move hay bales that weigh over 1000 pounds, drag the arena, spread manure, drill post holes, move tons of horse chow around, plow and seed fields.
One sales person has been less than helpful. He keeps telling me to get my husband involved. My area is as flat marines bed sheet. It has sand under a layer of blue clay.

Plowing pretty much makes the decision on tires: R1 with loaded rears to provide the traction for plowing. As a general rule more gears are better than less. Cabs are good for sticky hot, mosquito laden summers.

Regardless your gender, your salesman not wanting to deal directly and solely with you would be a concern. Farm equipment is of a nature that usually engenders a long term relationship with the dealer. It’s a bit surprising your salesman isn’t familiar with the fact that horse operations in this area being run by women whose men have little to do with management of the operation are not unusual. If you can’t get that straight with the salesman, I would want to speak to someone else there.

When I bought my Kubota a couple of years ago if the salesman had told me to get my wife involved before finalizing specs and signing papers, he and I would have had a serious problem even though she also uses it at times. And that’s not a negative comment on my wife in any way.

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
What you are describing sounds like my place that my neighbor has been farming for 50 years. Horses and hay mostly. He uses an ancient International 60 HP tractor that might weigh 10,000 pounds. I think he payed $6,000 for it many trouble free years ago. That is a very large and expensive piece of equipment you are considering. From a financial perspective It is nearly impossible to justify that type of purchase given your scenario in my opinion. Now if you or you spouse have significant off-farm income and don't give a darn about the economics that is a different story. Just because you can buy the tractor does not mean you should buy the tractor. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I know you said you have limited dealer options in your area, but is your area heavily farmed and is your dealer geared towards your needs? I have two kubotas about equidistant from me. One is geared towards farming and the other more towards landscaping and construction. I have bought machines from both, but they have certain areas expertise that makes them more or less helpful, depending on what you’re doing.

Assuming you plan to stick with the dealer, get a different sales person. For the salesperson to be truly helpful, they need to really understand your needs, and I would hope they would be doing some active listening and asking good questions to get a better feel for what types of things you plan to do and what machine would fit your needs. Personally, I would find a different dealer, even if it meant a longer trip, because you’re talking about a very large purchase that you going to want to get right the first time.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It's a lot of money. But so is a horse farm split over two properties with a large arena. I don't assume what other people can and can't afford, but that sounds to me like a reasonably expensive operation. And if you're planning to plow and seed then you need a decent machine.

One big question here is implements - do you already have them or do you need them? You'll need that plow and a seed drill. In my part of the world we avoid plowing as much as possible, if we can we spray the field then direct drill through the stubble. Avoids loss of soil to wind, and doesn't break the soil structure so much. Often plowing and seeding would be a job you'd contract out - the cost of implements is often more than you're saving on a smallish farm - especially implements suited to an M5. And planting can be quite technical, someone who knows what they're doing will pay for themselves.

What will you be planting? Oats? I'm not clear on what horses would need.....but I'm guessing it's a regular crop or hay, not just grazing grass?

I'm interested in your bush hog that you can tow behind an ATV. Usually that'd be a self powered mower (i.e. has gas motors on each spindle)? Sounds unusual that you'd use an implement like that behind an M5.

I don't want to be impolite, but it sounds to me like you have an idea of the jobs you want to do, but not all the info about the mechanics of doing those jobs. That's not a problem, hell, a lot of guys getting into tractors also have no idea when they start (I certainly had no idea). Dealers should be used to that. They shouldn't be treating you differently as a woman who's learning than a guy who's learning. But you do also have to be willing to learn - a few of the things you're saying don't quite line up (may be how you're writing it, may be how you're thinking about it). So a dealer may be trying to say "it's not quite like that" and you may be interpreting that as "you're a woman you don't know what you're doing."

In that situation I'd be tempted to take it on head on. I'd say to the dealer "it's my operation and my tractor. My husband doesn't wish to be involved. Here's what I want to do, I need your advice on how best to get it done, and what I need to buy to do it. I'm potentially going to need a tractor and a bunch of implements, but I need to know what exactly."

I'd guess that he's going to give you advice that some of the jobs you want to do really aren't economic to do yourself - they're technical (so if you get them wrong your crop yield will be poor), and they need big expensive implements for something that you're doing once a year on a few acres. Hiring that out will often be way more economic. And if you contract those jobs out instead of doing them yourself, what you have left might not need an M5, it might be Grand L territory. Certainly a Grand L would bush hog, move manure, drag the arena, and drill post holes. Moving 1000lb bales is a trick though - that takes a lot of machine - I think in theory a Grand L will do it, but an MX or M would give a lot more safety margin.

Again, not trying to be rude or doing the suck eggs thing, but my process here would be:
1. Double check your tasks. Which will you definitely do v's contract out. The plowing and seeding is the one in question for me - how often will you do it, what do the implements cost? That could be $20-30K of implements to do that (or maybe you'd rent them every year?), probably a contractor could do that for $1K a year and do a better job of it

2. Then size tractor to your biggest job. I think that'd be moving bales if you're not plowing/seeding. And actually, a smaller M would probably plow/seed fine. If the bale moving is the biggest task, then check the brochures to see what a Grand L (the 60 series, not the 02 series) will lift. You want about 50% margin for safety really. I suspect a Grand L is a bit small, an MX or a smaller M could do it just fine

3. Then ask yourself "can I afford more and do I want more". My 5c would be that an M5 is a hell of a lot of tractor on 55 acres, but if you want one and can afford it, then buy it. You'll love it. But it'd be a heavy machine for dragging the arena - it might chew it up when you're dragging it. What do other people drag their arenas with? And I guess you'll want to use the FEL to get manure out of the barn/horse stalls? Does that limit your maximum size at all? If you can avoid having to shovel it by hand too much that'd be a big benefit I guess. Dad had an older mid tier M on 80 acres, and it was plenty of machine for lots of things.

4. Then plan out your options and implements.
- I'd guess you'd want a cab - but if you have to go into a barn be careful on height (a ROPS machine you can fold the ROPS down, but obviously a cab keeps heat and bugs and rain off you).
- You want a FEL
- That means you need some sort of ballast. I personally wouldn't load the tires, because I think that'd be extra weight in the arena. A ballast box you can put on when you need it, take it off when you want a lighter machine. But others will have a different opinion - loaded tires are very popular because with a ballast box there's always a tendency to not bother putting it on (it's a hassle). And lifting bales without ballast is dangerous - a tractor with the back wheels off the ground tips over very easily - the rear wheels gives you all the stability
- If you have 3 pt hitch implements on a machine that big, they're too heavy to horse around to attach them. So you want a quick hitch, and that means the bush hog and ballast box and plow and seeder all need to be quick hitch compatible
- I suspect you'd want a much bigger bush hog than you have - that was Dad's reason for a large machine - to swing a big bush hog and limit how much time he spent mowing the fields. His was a dual spindle bush hog, which lets you cut a much wider swath without hanging out too far (a single spindle bush hog sticks out a long way - they have to be square - a dual spindle bush hog will be a rectangle)
- You want a post hole auger. Those things can be death traps - so make sure you know what you're doing. Around us people bang in posts rather than drill them nowadays - there's a post rammer for the back of the tractor. And if you're drilling, a lot of people would rent an excavator with a drill - if you're only putting in a couple fences then rent the right machine and do it once. (Mum is putting a fence in at the moment, she's hiring it out. Dad in the last few years of his life did the same - gives employment to local people, and again doesn't buy an expensive implement that you only use occasionally. And I personally dislike building fences, it's hard work that is better done by an expert. Specially horse fences I suspect - built wrong you could hurt a horse. Funny story, when Dad passed an experienced guy leased the farm, and bought quite a few of Dad's implements - he had good stuff. But he took one look at the 3ph posthole auger and said "nope, those things hurt people, I'm not taking that." He's the guy who's building Mum's fence, he knows what he's doing).
- Forks for the bales? Around us people buy "soft hands" which are a grapple thing for round bales. Doesn't puncture the plastic wrap
- Do you have sticks and trash to move / trees to clean up around? Grapples are excellent for that
- Plow. Seeder
- What do you drag the arena with?
- Do you need some sort of manure wagon/spreader? Do you spread it in liquid, or is it mostly dry?

Also, feel free to map out a bit more what you're trying to do. Plenty of experience on here, people will be happy to give you their thoughts, much as I've done. Doesn't mean they're all right in their opinions, but listening to people's opinions lets you pick and choose.

I did like the suggestion above about two tractors. Mum and Dad always had two tractors - one with the loader, one towing the trailer. If you're spreading manure, I can imagine a big machine with a PTO- or hydraulic- driven manure wagon. And a small machine with a small FEL that will go into the barn/stalls, haul the manure out. That'd definitely beat hand shovelling. Depending on size of your barn, that second machine could be a skid steer......if that isn't going to chew up your floor too much.

I know I've assumed a lot here, but trying to be helpful. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Does the dealer you are working with have any tractors in stock so you can sit on them and drive them to compare models? If not, a road trip to find some would be very worthwhile. Also, if you can find a better salesperson, they will help connect you to someone that owns a tractor like you want so you can go see it. Don’t rush into your purchase, do a lot of research and find a way to drive one before buying. Be willing to drive a ways to see one. Talk to owners and ask what they would have done differently in their purchase.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I would go with the 24 speed trans, it is the 12 speed with a powershift hi/lo, same as the grand L series, a great feature once you use it.
For wheels, I would get the cast iron centers if possible, instead of the standard pressed steel centers, it will add additional counter weight for loader use. On tires, I would go for radials if possible, they are a bit more money, but a lot more tire. For loading the tires, beet juice weights the most but is also the most expensive, windshield fluid is another good option, it weight less but is also less money. The wheels can be set to different widths, normally they are set to the same width as the bucket, with you being on very flat land that should be fine.
With remotes, more is better, you never know what you will need in the future, so better to get them now.
For the loader, skid steer quick attach will probably not be on it, the euro style will most likely be on it, it is far more common on the larger tractors. Third function remote at the front of the loader can be handy for some attachments, like a bale grabber for you, but is also more money. Self leveling is another option, it keeps the bucket, bale spear, etc, at the same angle as you raise or lower the boom. Again a nice feature but more money.
Hope this gives you some things to think about, so you are more knowledgeable the next time you deal with a different sales person.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Kaede, I would look at the M5 brochure too if you haven't done that yet. You will be better informed if you spend some time looking through it.

The F24/R24 is almost a $4k upcharge over the F12/R12. Hopefully someone with experience with both transmissions chimes in. My M6060 has the F8/R8 transmission with optional creep range which results in an F12/R12 transmission. I'm fine with what I have given what I do but I had no choice with the M6060. It's kind of amazing to me that the M5 is available with an F8/R8 transmission.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
By the way, I am not familiar with the current offers out there but I have seen in some threads and a quick search there is some Equine Membership program with Kubota if you choose orange. If you have horses (or even an interest)it might be worth checking to see what the discounts are and if applicable with whatever discounts/financing available. Just a thought. I am sure there are some on here that took advantage so maybe they would chime in? Good luck.