I'm a rookie, could use pro advice. Need a belt diagram

jkenned70

Equipment
B7100 1980 4X4 With Kabota Bush Hog and Blade
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
Your mower is a B348-6, made by Hesston for Kubota, and yeah I'd mow sticks and twings and over growth with it, I did when I had one, they are not the best grass mower in the world, but fields they do just fine.

Big Kahuna
Thanks, the model number definitely helps out.

jkenned70

Equipment
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
Game set match...back to the drawing board. Keeps popping off, needs serious adjusting.

Attachments

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Game set match...back to the drawing board. Keeps popping off, needs serious adjusting.
Those tensioning pulleys (the two medium-sized ones without blades) should have springs, or maybe one spring, to keep the belt tight. They should be moveable (or one moveable).

Perhaps when the breakdown happened a spring broke and is now gone.

Check for places on the deck and the pulleys where springs could be attached. A lever with a hole in it is one possibility.

Springs also tend to cause paint wear marks on older decks. Check that out.

The B348-7 mower seems to have more information about it but it is very similar to the B348-6.

cmoringinstar01, a member here, appears to have a manual for your mower. You may want to contact him if he is a still a member. You might be able to get a copy.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4223

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
the pulley that's mounted to the arm is the one that should have a big spring that keeps the belt tensioned.
The pulley that came off make sure the key didnt come out and put it back on and set the height to match the other ones ,then those 2 bolts need to be slowly tightened to lock the hub down onto the shaft. Go easy there only small bolts! What your doing is forceing two tapered cones together to clamp onto the spindle shaft.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Keeps popping off, needs serious adjusting.
I'm guessing your belt is stretched and is simply too loose. As long as the big spring is there on the movable arm, I'd be ordering a new belt. If the spring is missing, then you've found your problem...

Might as well sharpen the blades while you're working on it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Somewhere on that deck is a diagram on how the belt is supposed to be routed. Clean the deck with soap and water and take a look. I have one on my Landparide and the damn thing was right under my nose and it was a mobile mechanic who was kind enough to find it for me after I dump a wad of cash to have him install the belt.

One of those Homer Simpson D'OH moments!

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Ran the belt number thru Messicks, still a good number.
70080-00118 @ $25.00

Looked on Kubota website and this mower DOES NOT show up?

Big Kahuna

Oh and by the way the belt is 5/8 x 107

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ran the belt number thru Messicks, still a good number.
70080-00118 @ $25.00

Looked on Kubota website and this mower DOES NOT show up?

Big Kahuna

Oh and by the way the belt is 5/8 x 107

Take that belt number to NAPA and have them cross it over and buy the belt from them for half price.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
This is for the other model number of the same mower but looks like it would possibly be a similar belt routing soultion.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4543
I think the OP got the belt route correctly figured out.

Now his issue is that the belt won't stay on the pulleys. I just has to be a tensioning thing. Every belt drive ANYTHING from drill presses, to lathes, to mowers has some sort of way to tension the belt in my experiences.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
jkenned70,

Why is the pulley off now? Did you take it of or did it "fall off"?

It may help for you to look under the mower and see which direction each blade needs to turn. Then put a piece of tape on the top of the deck next to each pulley and number each pulley (that will help us tell you which pulley we are talking about). For the three blade pulleys draw a rotation arrow on tape near each blade pulley. You can then also figure out the rotation of the PTO output on your tractor (use caution - don't get near the rotating PTO shaft or the pulleys) and then turn the PTO shaft to see which direction the main (large) power out pulley is turning. Add a rotation arrow from there. That will show you how that each pulley should rotate except the two "idler" pulleys. The groove or lack of groove will show which side of the belt should be in contact with the belt.

I think that the original sketch made is the correct routing and that the tension is gone somehow. The tension pulley (as others have stated) seems to be the 4th pulley from the left. It looks like there is an arm that goes from the large pulley (probably mounted around that pulley's shaft) out to the idler pulley. Does this pulley on the arm move back and forth in an arc? If you move this pulley is it hard or easy to move? Does it move back to the original position if you let it go (keep you fingers out of the way!)? There may be a torsional spring at the point of rotation that may be difficult to see under the remaining covers and the large pulley.

jkenned70

Equipment
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
jkenned70,

Why is the pulley off now? Did you take it of or did it "fall off"?

It may help for you to look under the mower and see which direction each blade needs to turn. Then put a piece of tape on the top of the deck next to each pulley and number each pulley (that will help us tell you which pulley we are talking about). For the three blade pulleys draw a rotation arrow on tape near each blade pulley. You can then also figure out the rotation of the PTO output on your tractor (use caution - don't get near the rotating PTO shaft or the pulleys) and then turn the PTO shaft to see which direction the main (large) power out pulley is turning. Add a rotation arrow from there. That will show you how that each pulley should rotate except the two "idler" pulleys. The groove or lack of groove will show which side of the belt should be in contact with the belt.

I think that the original sketch made is the correct routing and that the tension is gone somehow. The tension pulley (as others have stated) seems to be the 4th pulley from the left. It looks like there is an arm that goes from the large pulley (probably mounted around that pulley's shaft) out to the idler pulley. Does this pulley on the arm move back and forth in an arc? If you move this pulley is it hard or easy to move? Does it move back to the original position if you let it go (keep you fingers out of the way!)? There may be a torsional spring at the point of rotation that may be difficult to see under the remaining covers and the large pulley.
It all needs tightening. The wheel came off on its own. Because one of the two bolts that held the pole the pulley sat on was extremely loose. I thing the varying of heights of the pulleys since they were loose underneath AND the lack of good tension on the belt was a recipe for disaster.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
UUmmmmm is that factor? Kinda looks like some one rigged that as a cheap fix...
Are you refering to my post? If so, yes it is indeed factory and was $1300 when new. It takes a special tire made by Goodyear. I just replaced it.

The theory is that the more air in the tire the less slip on the blades. It works great except it is real noisy.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Are you refering to my post? If so, yes it is indeed factory and was $1300 when new. It takes a special tire made by Goodyear. I just replaced it.

The theory is that the more air in the tire the less slip on the blades. It works great except it is real noisy.

Well thats fascinating... I bet that tire was fun to track down and replace. On the bright side if you get a flat bush hoggin ya got a spare to get you home LOL