I think I've made my retirement decision....

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I was honestly very speculative when I started this thread, but knew something had to change.

I got a good projection of my final benefit in the mail yesterday. I used July 31 as a retirement date for projection purposes. 36.75 years in the pension plan.

We can make it work…..another piece of the puzzle….check…. ;)

I haven’t pulled the trigger with my employer yet.

That’s a time TBD, but guessing I will try to be in the July 31 timeframe. The Mrs. and I have to have some more conversations.
RCW, it sounds like all that's left for you to do is make it official and set the date!! You won't regret it for a minute.

I learned early on that nobody has your best interests in mind better than you yourself. Whether pertaining to the retirement date decision, what to do in retirement, and especially how to manage your retirement funds.

Beware of the financial planners/managers that want to manage your portfolio and invest the funds in high expense ratio funds that they get a commision for, as in "make a market in" those particular funds.
Or like to "turn over" your funds every so often so they can make their brokerage fees for those transactions, etc.

In these days...it's tough to beat a good ETF fund like Vanguard's VOO or Invesco's QQQ for an ultra low cost maintenance fee along with an average annual return in the 10% range.

For a good 3 years after retirement, I was hounded by different money managers that wanted my business. For the first couple of years I'd go talk with them and very few would steer me in the direction I knew was best. They also wanted up front commisions and wanted the money in their retirement funds with high annual manitenance fees. Some of them bragged that they could beat the market and average 7% returns.

Asked why would I want to give up my 10% - 15% return average for the last 15 years and more.....they didn't know what to say. There was one out of the bunch that admitted that almost no one that comes to them looking for a retirment fund manager has a clue about their fees, low cost fund options to ask for, the difference between an ETF fund and a high maintenance expense mutual fund, etc., etc.

It pays to "bone up" on the different investment companies available, their fees, and the different types of funds (ETFs, Index funds, individual stocks, mutual funds, all the different industry sectors, etc.).

There are a few good investment firms that will give you all the tools, options, and easy lessons to manage your own portfolio with your best interests in mind, and at a very low expense ratio .....and their still making enough money to stay in business.

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
@RCW the above is some of the best advice you will get. I tried to find a money manager that had my best interest but soon found that it is all smoke and mirrors. I now have moved everything to Vanguard and selected the funds that I thought would be best and it is working well. Read about ETF's and make them a a large portion of your portfolio, so when things go sour you can jump ship in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The key word when looking for help with funds is FIDUCIARY, indicating their income is based on their productivity for you.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
The only thing money can't buy is TIME!

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I was honestly very speculative when I started this thread, but knew something had to change.

I got a good projection of my final benefit in the mail yesterday. I used July 31 as a retirement date for projection purposes. 36.75 years in the pension plan.

We can make it work…..another piece of the puzzle….check…. ;)

I haven’t pulled the trigger with my employer yet.

That’s a time TBD, but guessing I will try to be in the July 31 timeframe. The Mrs. and I have to have some more conversations.
I did give my notice last Monday :) Told our CEO I would work thru May. He would like me to stay on part time making my own hours, as many or few as I want.
I have my head now firmly in retirement mode so I think it's cut the cord cleanly. Working out my vacation time now so not many 'work days' left at all.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Wife is going through the same scenario. I retired the first time early but it took me three more times to finally totally retire, subsequent times were fun jobs and not like my primary one that I first retired from. Once you are done you will know it, at least I did and that's what I tell the wife. Key to retirement is no debt, especially your house and vehicles.

Reactions: 1 user

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
"He would like me to stay on part time making my own hours, as many or few as I want."
Same thing happened to me first time so I spent two more years before it started to be the same ole same ole. Should have cut the cord sooner but 20/20 hindsight so you are smart to.

Reactions: 2 users