I ran out of fuel, help

mito352003

Sep 5, 2015
Paw Paw, Michigan
I know better, but today I ran out of fuel in my L2501 while mowing. I have topped off the tank but after many attempts it only turns over with obviously no fuel getting to where it should be. Is there a trick I should know? Or do I just keep turning it over until the fuel gets through. I am cautious about haveing the starter overheat with to many attempts. Terry

Reactions: 1 user

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Went back to edit the much better advice from below. READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.

I am a fool for not putting that first.

Won't start until you crack the injectors/bleed the air from the system. Don't just keep cranking. I am sure there are videos on how to do it. It isn't hard, but is necessary.

Doc

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Go back to your owner's manual for guidance!!!

Different Kubota's are bled different ways....I don't know yours, so I'm not going to guess. Mine just runs the lift pump for 20 seconds, and let er' rip....

If you loosen the injector lines incorrectly, you could cause irreparable damage to the IP, requiring a rebuild of the pump.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Go back to your owner's manual for guidance!!!

Different Kubota's are bled different ways....I don't know yours, so I'm not going to guess. Mine just runs the lift pump for 20 seconds, and let er' rip....

If you loosen the injector lines incorrectly, you could cause irreparable damage to the IP, requiring a rebuild of the pump.
I was going to say the same thing about the injector lines for bleeding.

If I remember right, DO NOT loosen anything at the pump end. Loosen at the injector end.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, read the manual before doing anything!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
MOST IMPORTANTLY, read the manual before doing anything!
BINGO! (y)

I forgot to mention some models have a simple bleeder right at the IP...don't need to open any lines, just like cycling the electric lift pump on a BX.....

To the OP, as much as an Operator's Manual is important, if you're apt to do work on your tractor a Workshop Manual (WSM) is more important.

You can get both at www.kubotabooks.com

Last edited:

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
If you have a smartphone you can download the my kubota app and access the owners manual there.

mito352003

Sep 5, 2015
Paw Paw, Michigan
Thanks you everyone for your advice. I went to you tube and Messicks had a video on there about this situation. They said that the older tractors you would have to deal with the injectors, but no longer. Just fill it up and wait for the fuel gets to where it needs to be. After many attempts with rest periods to make sure starter didn't over heat she started and it took awhile to get the air out. Lesson learned don't let this happen again. Thanks again

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ford - - you da man! :geek: :geek:

• Haha

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Glad you got it back running.

I making a label to go on my fuel gauge glass that says reminder to fill up and placing it at the half full mark.

My standard practice is to never let it get below 1/2 tank but a little reminder will keep me even more reminded!

Good day OTT.